Wality FP: Anyone replace nib with another brand Nib?

John Cullen

I bought a Wality 69 and it is a decent little pen but the nib is terrible and I am sure not going to pay twenty or thirty bucks to have it smoothed. The nib probably cost about two bucks.

Has anyone replaced a Wality nib with a nib of another brand?

The Wality nib puls out pretty easily, but I am not sure what nib might fit on there. A nib the size of the Bexley gold nib is too long to fit. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a source for a steel nib that might fit? Maybe the small Laban steel nib that comes on their smaller pens?

At worst I suppose I could buy a few of the generic steel nibs like the one on it and tinker with smoothing them. Maybe that would be a good way to learn to smooth nibs?

I realize that one nib is not necessarily representative of a company's quality, but that was one scratchy and poorly cut nib that came on mine. At least if I could get a Wality bold there would be plenty of material to work with.

Thoughts on this.......other than not to buy a Wality? Maybe a pen like this simple will never write like a Waterman or Parker? J

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• Kublai Khan

• John Cullen

• deepak23

The last Wality I got had a scratchy nib which was a surprise; the others I have bought were fine.

I used an emery board and ended up with a nib that has some obvious variation. Very pleased with it. :thumbup:

Please visit my wife's website.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_763_-2kMPOs/Sh8W3BRtwoI/AAAAAAAAARQ/WbGJ-Luhxb0/2009StoreLogoETSY.jpg

I bought a Wality 69 and it is a decent little pen but the nib is terrible and I am sure not going to pay twenty or thirty bucks to have it smoothed. The nib probably cost about two bucks.

Has anyone replaced a Wality nib with a nib of another brand?

The Wality nib puls out pretty easily, but I am not sure what nib might fit on there. A nib the size of the Bexley gold nib is too long to fit. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a source for a steel nib that might fit? Maybe the small Laban steel nib that comes on their smaller pens?

At worst I suppose I could buy a few of the generic steel nibs like the one on it and tinker with smoothing them. Maybe that would be a good way to learn to smooth nibs?

I realize that one nib is not necessarily representative of a company's quality, but that was one scratchy and poorly cut nib that came on mine. At least if I could get a Wality bold there would be plenty of material to work with.

Thoughts on this.......other than not to buy a Wality? Maybe a pen like this simple will never write like a Waterman or Parker? J

I am very surprised, I purchased a 69LFB (all black) medium, , a 70D medium, and a 71J fine, and all three are very smooth, wet writers. Did you contact Pete Bachran at Retrodesk? He might be able to help you with the problem.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Maybe a pen like this simple will never write like a Waterman or Parker?

Nonsense. I'd agree that the nibs are cheap enough to be smoothed without ripping a hole in your wallet as well as your self-confidence. If, however, your fancy is for a new nib that could slide onto the feed, you might check with DocNib. I think I saw him selling a handful of nibs a while ago. You might find one you like!

Best of luck...

BTW...obligatory "No affiliation" statement.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Do you mean the Wality 69 Eyedropper? The big one?

I have one of the big clear-barreled Wality eyedroppers that also had a nib that was too dry. I went through all the usual steps - flossing the nib, heat setting the feed to give it a little more clearance, tried to pull the tines apart a tiny bit to increase flow, smoothed it, reground it - nada. Dry dry flow. I finally replaced it with a big Sheaffer 2-tone nib from a trashed touchdown-era lever filler. It is about the same size as a large Sheaffer 2-tone lifetime nib, so that would work.

Waterman #5 nibs also work, and I think there is a way to squeeze a Waterman 17 Emblem pen in there. Antonios has an awesome Wality with a Waterman #7 Pink nib. I have seen a few Warranted #8 nibs that I thought would fit, but haven't wanted to take them off of the pen they came from.

I have a huge Ebonite ED pen from India that is even bigger than the Wality, with the same size nib - I am looking for a replacement for that one - something long and flexy. . .

It is also a good nib to try smoothing.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes, I believe it is Wality 69 eyedropper.

I think I will order a nib smoothing kit from Giovanni and take a shot at smoothing it. But I am pretty picky about my nibs and not very good personally with mechanical procedures. But I will give it a try and see what happens.

I did find that a Parker sonnet nib/feed unit can be used, but it looks a tad small in the pen, but then so did the original nib.

I have in fact contacted Retrodesk and ordered another Wality 69. I hope the nib on this one is better and I will only end up fooling with one.

I will keep experimenting. J

One word 'wow', i wish I could write like that, thats amazing!!!

Lamy 2000-Lamy Vista-Visconti Van Gogh Maxi Tortoise Demonstrator-Pilot Vanishing Point Black Carbonesque-1947 Parker 51 Vacumatic Cedar Blue Double Jewel-Aurora Optima Black Chrome Cursive Italic-Waterman Hemisphere Metallic Blue-Sheaffer Targa-Conway Stewart CS475

• 8 years later...

I bought a wality 70 am pen from asa pens last year.I had previously bought an "online" fountain pen from linc stores few years back.That pen broke and I replaced the wality nib with that online pen(german stainless steel nib).Very satisfied with the performance ,the nib being a smooth one.

I have replaced Airmail / Wality 71JT and 69EB nibs with Sheaffer No nonsense nib and Ambitious #6 steel nib respectively and both pens work very well ( I mean no issues in capping / uncapping) and write nice wet fine line.

I replaced stock Airmail nibs not because they were scratchy but as I thought that chrome finish nibs suit those pens better than gold plated ones.

Edited by prashant.tikekar

I used a Jinhao #6 nib on my 68EB. Works like a charm!

The Wality feed is much thicker than the Jinhao or a JoWo feed, so I had to use the stock Wality feed. Since the Wality feed is ebonite I was able to heat set it but I did play with the tines a bit before heat setting.

I went with the Jinhao because I prefer medium nibs and it is crazy cheap without being super low quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheaffer School pen nibs fits Wality. I found Wality nibs are so so and dry needing some work while Airmail nibs are good though they are from same company!!

Regards

Subramoniam

• 7 months later...

I have a Wality 69EB green ripple and was able to replace the stock Wality F nib with a Nemosine #6 steel Medium, keeping the original feed. Fits perfectly. Was able to yank out the original nib and feed without much ado, although I was a bit afraid I might break something. The new Nemosine #6 is a larger nib but it fits well and suits the pen. Also, the cap and clip have chrome (and not gold) accents and the stock gold tone nib was a bit out of place. The Nemosine nib is smooth. I did heat set it. I think I would have preferred a Knox, but couldn't find a silver/chrome-tone Knox #6. Overall, very happy with the Nemosine.

I have a Wality 69EB green ripple and was able to replace the stock Wality F nib with a Nemosine #6 steel Medium, keeping the original feed. Fits perfectly. Was able to yank out the original nib and feed without much ado, although I was a bit afraid I might break something. The new Nemosine #6 is a larger nib but it fits well and suits the pen. Also, the cap and clip have chrome (and not gold) accents and the stock gold tone nib was a bit out of place. The Nemosine nib is smooth. I did heat set it. I think I would have preferred a Knox, but couldn't find a silver/chrome-tone Knox #6. Overall, very happy with the Nemosine.

do share with us some pics of your work...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Mehandiratta: here you go. I've put in a Gama Forever for comparison with the green Wality 69EB, as I replaced its nib at the same time that I did the Wality's. I wrote a short note on the Forever nib replacement in another thread pertaining to that pen (in brief: it was much harder to pull out the Forever's nib and feed, as compared to the Wality's.) Apologies for the simplistic photos; all I have is an old smartphone. Regards.

post-130513-0-27939900-1467392123_thumb.jpeg

post-130513-0-79811000-1467392151_thumb.jpeg

post-130513-0-35717400-1467392167_thumb.jpeg

post-130513-0-26630900-1467392184_thumb.jpeg

post-130513-0-52984500-1467392200_thumb.jpeg

Sorry about the pic with the writing being rotated; I didn't think it would upload this way and I don't seem to have a way to edit my post.