Platinum Ink - Violet

nahhush

Hi Guys,

Recently I came across Platinum - Preppy Pen (Violet - Fine 0.3). I was so impressed with the Ink Colour, I must have searched may be 10 - 15 colours but haven't come across a Similar Shade.

I checked with Platinum Dealers in India and managed to get an understanding that this particular is not retailed directly. Its part of the mixable inks range Platinum has and that's how we need to get it organised for ourselves.

I wanted to know from the experts how do we go about getting the exact violet shade?

Has anyone of you used this ink the way it is, I mean the Platinum Preppy Violet? I was told by the Dealer to mix Aurora Blue & Cyclamen Pink (Platinum Mixable Inks), however I am having a doubt that it may not provide the exact result as I wish.

Could you guys please guide me?

Edited by nahhush

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nahhush

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

• Amory

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To get purple you would usually need to mix blue and red. Mixing Aurora Blue and Cyclamen Pink to get a violet colour, that would normally suggest a light purple, sounds like a good plan.

Use sample vials and plastic pipettes. I would start with half a vial of pink and add blue a couple of drops at a time until you get the shade you want. I think it will take significantly longer if you start with blue and add pink.

Let me do this. I'm sure it'll be a couple of trial and error attempts.

But thanks for this info - I should try with Pink and move to Blue.

Appreciate your help Chrissy.

Let me do this. I'm sure it'll be a couple of trial and error attempts.

But thanks for this info - I should try with Pink and move to Blue.

Appreciate your help Chrissy.

Yep. Start with pink and add blue a little bit at a time. When you get the shade you like you're there. :)

Yep. Start with pink and add blue a little bit at a time. When you get the shade you like you're there. :)

I will try with the Inks that I already have. Rather than simply ordering the new ones right away. Hopefully I can manage with them and then shall order from Platinum. Thanks Chrissy.

And are we sure it's not the same as Platinum Mix-Free Silky Purple?

https://vanness1938.com/collections/platinum-ink/products/platinum-mix-free-sunny-yellow

(I know the URL says Sunny Yellow, but the page is all about Silky Purple.)

I've been searching for a side by side comparison, and can't find it. But in separate images, it looks like they could be the same - impossible to be certain though.

I love platinum violet which came with one of my preppy pens. The ink is exactly the same colour as Diamine Bougainvillea.

I love platinum violet which came with one of my preppy pens. The ink is exactly the same colour as Diamine Bougainvillea.

That'd be great. Unfortunately William Penn doesn't deal stock Diamine Inks... I'll have to scout for this particular one.

@ Steveg58 - I end up consuming One Cartridge almost in 10 Days. So need a solution that will be more cost efficient.

Guys just got off the phone with the Sole Importer of Diamine in India. He mentions that I cannot buy a Single Bottle of the Ink. Its a part of the Flower Collection from Diamine and I have to buy the entire Set. :( :( :(

If you can find the mixing chart you can make the color.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Guys just got off the phone with the Sole Importer of Diamine in India. He mentions that I cannot buy a Single Bottle of the Ink. Its a part of the Flower Collection from Diamine and I have to buy the entire Set. :( :( :(

If the Diamine Importer for India doesn't import it for distribution, you assuredly cannot purchase it there; It is however sold as a single bottle elsewhere, PEN GALLERY in Malaysia & ANDERSON PENS, US both show it "in stock & available," as a single bottle. You might note the shipping policies of both stores & perhaps add it to something else if you find yourself interested in something from either of them.

If the Diamine Importer for India doesn't import it for distribution, you assuredly cannot purchase it there; It is however sold as a single bottle elsewhere, PEN GALLERY in Malaysia & ANDERSON PENS, US both show it "in stock & available," as a single bottle. You might note the shipping policies of both stores & perhaps add it to something else if you find yourself interested in something from either of them.

I haven't checked it with Diamine outside India. But still getting it cleared through Customs will be a pain.

I've had a telecon with one other gentleman yesterday. He mentioned about speaking with his Japanese Colleague about Mixable Inks. Platinum has a Chart Online for this but what is the proportion.

@ Chrissy has been kind enough to suggest starting with the Pink and then adding blue to achieve it. I have tried it but somehow I am unable to get the desired results. (Perhaps its because I am yet to receive the Original Inks from Platinum).

Hopefully this lead Pans Out and I get the Ink that I desire.

Perhaps you could try eBay uk as plenty of sellers list bougainvillea. Diamine also sell bougainvillea individually.

I’d definitely look at the Silky Purple first since my understanding is that it’s cheaper to import Japanese inks for you guys than British.

Chrissy you were absolutely right. Today I was pleasantly surprised when Takeuchi San from Platinum Japan reached out to me and mentioned that shade should 10 Drops : 2 Drops.

A big Thanks to all you guys. :thumbup:

Just for your information. I love that preppy violet cartridge colour, it's gorgeous. Today I received a bottle of Private Reserve Plum and when I tried it thought I love this, I know this ink somewhere. On comparing it I realised it reminded me very much of the Preppy violet. It's not exactly the same. The violet ink leans a little more towards the purple whereas the plum leans towards the pink.

It's another option maybe if you can get Private Reserve.

post-144865-0-08099900-1536682347.jpg

Just for your information. I love that preppy violet cartridge colour, it's gorgeous. Today I received a bottle of Private Reserve Plum and when I tried it thought I love this, I know this ink somewhere. On comparing it I realised it reminded me very much of the Preppy violet. It's not exactly the same. The violet ink leans a little more towards the purple whereas the plum leans towards the pink.

Don't forget to add that picture to the Purple thread (see the links in my signature).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have tried the Private Reserve Ink - Orange Crush. Not the Plum One as yet. Will surely check it out.

On the same topic of using Private Reserve - are they wet inks? The Orange Crush takes a while to dry.

Platinum / Lamy on the other hand dries super fast.

Edited by Nahush

PR has a huge line up so it would not be fair to say that they are all wet or dry. I can say that Tanzanite is WET WET WET.