The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Help Identifying Duofold

parker duo fold identification

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 16:27

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the blue marbled Duofold in these pictures, which contain other pens for comparison of size, etc. The Lapis Lazuli is definitely a pretty modern Centennial (not sure about the exact dating of that, either). The vac is not a full-sized major, and the Sonnet is, well, a standard Sonnet size.

Couldn't find any Parker date codes, and that flimsy top of the section has me worried a little bit. It is authentic, isn't it? I bought it thinking it was an International, and I was guessing no later than the early 1980's. But that is mostly a guess.

Li'l help?

Scott

Attached Images

• IMG_1302.jpg
  • IMG_1303.jpg
  • IMG_1304.jpg
  • IMG_1300.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 16:42

I believe it is a Duofold International MK1, from late 80-early 90's. The date code should be on the pen's cap.

http://parkerpens.net/centennial.html

#3 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 17:13

I believe it is a Duofold International MK1, from late 80-early 90's. The date code should be on the pen's cap.

http://parkerpens.net/centennial.html

Oh, I looked again with a better loupe, and could see (JUST BARELY) the following:

(Parker symbol) PARKER

MADE IN UK

IN

is the "IN" A DATE CODE? I thought it was indicating that this is an International model.

Edited by ProfessorB, 27 August 2018 - 17:18.

#4 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 17:19

Oh, I looked again with a better loupe, and could see (JUST BARELY) the following:

(Parker symbol) PARKER

MADE IN UK

IN

is the "IN" A DATE CODE?

IN

3rd quarter from 1989, July-Sept.

#5 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 17:53

3rd quarter from 1989, July-Sept.

Great! Many thanks for your help, USK15.

It is in excellent condition. Wonder what is worth. Lots to me, because I love the look and the feel of the nib, and I wanted it to use for writing. A lot of writing. This is my first International. Is the $162.50 that I paid for it a good price, a very good price, or a bona fide "find" (?)

#6 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 19:08

I think is a fair, good price.

#7 daffie

daffie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 19:26

That gold colored ring should also screw out of the barrel, connected to the section.

#8 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 20:16

That gold colored ring should also screw out of the barrel, connected to the section.

Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't know that it is threaded on both sides. It's stuck onto the barrel very tightly, though. I'd much rather have it connected to the section, but I am worried about damaging the barrel by trying to unscrew it. Any tips?

I think is a fair, good price.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.  

Scott

#9 daffie

daffie

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:47

That gold colored ring is part of the screw in the same colour, screwed into the barrel.

Try with rubber or so to screw it out.

It has to be one part with the section.

#10 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2018 - 09:51

Note that you will not be able to fill the pen until you reposition the brass "screw".  Right now your cartridge/converter is inside the barrel.

#11 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 August 2018 - 17:12

Thanks, All! This is really helpful to me.

I'm having trouble disconnecting it because I don't want to crack the barrel and it is really stuck. Warm water soaking didn't help dislodge whatever is making it stick to the barrel. I'll keep at it but don't have the right pliers .

#12 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 19:43

Thanks, All! This is really helpful to me.

I'm having trouble disconnecting it because I don't want to crack the barrel and it is really stuck. Warm water soaking didn't help dislodge whatever is making it stick to the barrel. I'll keep at it but don't have the right pliers .

Ta da! Tightened it closed with the cap on the barrel and opened it just by holding down the ring while removing the cap. 

#13 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 September 2018 - 12:17

Congrats it's back to where it should be, but I can't figure out how you can hold down the "ring" with the cap on, as the cap covers it.    Holding the ring while unscrewing it from the barrel, yes.

#14 ProfessorB

ProfessorB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2018 - 19:35

Congrats it's back to where it should be, but I can't figure out how you can hold down the "ring" with the cap on, as the cap covers it.    Holding the ring while unscrewing it from the barrel, yes.

Ha! Yes, slip of the tongue, or fingers. I meant to say that I tightened the barrel and section together, then unscrewed the BARREL while holding the ring. Thanks for noticing that!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker, duo fold, identification

Sponsored Content

|