• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• ENewton

• biancitwo

• addylo

I just inked my Pelikan 140 for the first time. Expecting it to be wet, I filled it (or think I filled it) with Rohrer and Klingner Sepia.

It turns out that the pen is on the dry side. I will probably use it on absorbent papers until it is empty and then wed it to a wetter ink.

Is there a historical moment at which Pelikans began to be very wet pens? They are typically characterized as such on this forum, but they are also characterized as smooth, and it has already been explained to me that one can expect a vintage Pelikan to have feedback.

I'm not complaining about the pen. I am open to a range of writing experiences. I'm just surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

I just inked my Pelikan 140 for the first time. Expecting it to be wet, I filled it (or think I filled it) with Rohrer and Klingner Sepia.

It turns out that the pen is on the dry side. I will probably use it on absorbent papers until it is empty and then wed it to a wetter ink.

Is there a historical moment at which Pelikans began to be very wet pens? They are typically characterized as such on this forum, but they are also characterized as smooth, and it has already been explained to me that one can expect a vintage Pelikan to have feedback.

I'm not complaining about the pen. I am open to a range of writing experiences. I'm just surprised.

I find vintage Pelikan nib and feed combinations react well to flow adjustments. A previous owner could have set the nib/feed positioning and tine "tightness" to give a dry flow.

If you compare the amount of nib extending past the end of the feed with other 140 pens you should be able to determine if it's set normally or not. More nib extended will be drier, less nib will be wetter (as the feed presents ink closer to the tip). This is the proper way to adjust the flow, assuming the nib is correctly "set" and has properly aligned tines.

The other is the tightness of the nib tines pressing each other. If the tines are tight, it will restrict flow, if they're looser, it will allow more ink to flow. Extremes are bad, however, since if it's too tight it will stop the flow completely and if it's too loose (with an actual gap between the tines) it can also prevent flow. This can be adjusted without removing the nib unit or taking the collar off, but should be done carefully. By grabbing the "wings" of the nib from underneath (using your fingernails), you can pull the tines apart gently and then test the flow. Repeat and test, but don't overdo it. To tighten you can press the wings together gently. It can change the relative angles of the tines to each other if it's overdone, but small adjustments are fine. If this doesn't give enough flow you'll have to remove the nib unit, knock the collar off with a nib block and reinsert with the nib extending a little less.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the feed could also have a partial blockage from dried ink which can cause flow problems, so if the nib and feed look like they're set correctly and the tines are not too tight, it could be a blocked feed. This again requires the nib unit to be removed and separated to clean out the feed.

Edited by Oobly

I went with a fine even though I had read before buying that they run wide. Kind of wish I had listened to my instincts and gone EF but there will always be other pens. In fact, I'm seriously considering adding an M200 with an EF nib as a daily carry pen.

A pic just for fun.

i-Ct2TjmN-X3.jpg

The gold two tone nib is gorgeous, but just know that for about 30 bucks you could get a steel M200 nib in Fine that will screw right into that pen and give you a thinner line (the steel nibs run slightly thinner than the gold nibs).

My vintage Pelikans date back to 1933. Three of them are 140s. They are all smooth and wet, but one. That 140 has misaligned tines. It is an EF. The misalignment is hardly visible with a 10 power loupe. I haven't the courage to try any harder to realign them. It is wet, but until aligned, it will scratch. Once aligned, I expect it to perform like all the rest, beautifully.

Clean that R&K Sepia out of the pen 110%...in it clogs up with traces of other inks of any kind.

Could be it's already clogging up on a trace of older ink in the pen...!!!!!

R&K Sepia is not to be mixed with any ink. Don't know if I'm going over board with a drop left in the pen.

A Pelikan 4001 ink is what the Pelikan pens are designed to use..other inks will make it write wider.....and it is semi-flex so any trace of heavy hands will make it write wider.

I've got an unopened bottle of R&K Sepia so didn't know it was so dry.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Clean that R&K Sepia out of the pen 110%...in it clogs up with traces of other inks of any kind.

Could be it's already clogging up on a trace of older ink in the pen...!!!!!

R&K Sepia is not to be mixed with any ink. Don't know if I'm going over board with a drop left in the pen.

A Pelikan 4001 ink is what the Pelikan pens are designed to use..other inks will make it write wider.....and it is semi-flex so any trace of heavy hands will make it write wider.

I've got an unopened bottle of R&K Sepia so didn't know it was so dry.

Thank you. I have used Sepia in several other pens, and switched to and from other inks, for a number of years with no clogging problems.

Yesterday I flushed out the pen and switched to Waterman Purple, which is not the most intriguing ink but provides a clear line and a pleasant writing experience on all the papers I customarily use.

Enjoy the first bird!!! It probably won't be lonely for long! I have the same pen, although it is out for repair at the moment!

Tom

Love those Pelikans! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 1 month later...

Enjoy Addlyo. As others have suggested, this will be the first in a series of rich relationships with Pelikans. Each one is as unique on the page as it is seductive to use. I've not encountered a brand that so consistently meets expectations while spurring one on to wonder what more can I discover with these pens?

addylo, as Newjelan implied, above ("...I’ll be interested to know how many you have in your flock in a years time..."), it's all downhill from here! You have your first; it is almost guaranteed that it will lead to...more! Have fun!

Edited by Christopher Godfrey