New Twsbi Eco - Transparent Blue

adatse

I got my stub on Sunday. It's amazing, everything I was hoping. It writes so smoothly and it's broad without being too broad. It lays down a lot of ink, but since I use Mrs. Stewart's, it doesn't bleed even on cheap paper.

This is my first stub nib ever, so I was a little concerned, but it has a nice subtle linewidth variation while still allowing fluid cursive, no need for using italic nib techniques.

Although I bought this to sign documents, correspondence, and cheques, I've been using it for general writing just because it's new to me, and so I can form a strong impression of its capabilities.

Another $32 well spent!

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• amper

• 1nkulus

• adatse

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m glad you like the nib. Stub and italic nibs are my favorites. I have a TWSBI Diamond 580 that I got the 1.1mm stub for, and love the nib. Tonight I ordered an Eco (the black one) with the stub nib. I read on another thread that the Eco stub nib is not as wide as the one for the 580.

My 580 is inked, so I’ll be able to compare them (but with different inks). I have three new inks (Edelstein Olivine, Lamy Vibrant Pink and Edelstein Topaz) and might use one in the Eco. I was thinking of using the Topaz, but Olivine might be more seasonal.

Posted Image

I read on another thread that the Eco stub nib is not as wide as the one for the 580.

I would order the Eco if the above is true. Let us know your inference.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

OK, I wrote out a sample with each pen, noted the inks (although I think I got the order of names wrong on the Noodler's sample of an Eel ink). I took a photo of the nibs, but it seems the focus is more on the sections of the pens. I think I'll post it anyway, because you should be able to see enough of a comparison.

fpn_1540182143__kodak_2018_030.jpg

Posted Image

I decided the above post showed the nibs better, so this post is now edited to remove the link to the photo. Even with different inks taken into account, the nibs do seem to deliver different widths.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

Thanks for the comparison. Maybe they should change the stub name on the ECO maybe to a 0.6 /0.8 or it might mislead some buyers based on the above comparison.

OK, I wrote out a sample with each pen, noted the inks (although I think I got the order of names wrong on the Noodler's sample of an Eel ink). I took a photo of the nibs, but it seems the focus is more on the sections of the pens. I think I'll post it anyway, because you should be able to see enough of a comparison.

The difference is evident, as suspected earlier. :thumbup:

The Eco seems to be a 0.7/0.8mm stub.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

This is my first post on the forum (I need to go properly introduce myself in, I know!) but have to say that this ECO is a tremendous deal for the money. I am not new to fountain pens, and I am blown away with how well this pen writes for its cost. Among my pens, I have pretty much most of the "low price heroes", but this pen takes the cake for me and also writes a lot better than some of my more expensive pens. I have seen that there are other blue hues available that were apparently exclusives elsewhere that I may have to track down!

@Quiet: Good luck in your search. I so wish I would have known about the Diamond Mini in white and rose gold that came out in 2014. I only saw it this year. So far it isn’t showing up for sale (used or never used).

I got to try a clear Mini at the Pelikan Hub, when a man let me try his. Maybe your search will be easier.

Posted Image

@Quiet: Good luck in your search. I so wish I would have known about the Diamond Mini in white and rose gold that came out in 2014. I only saw it this year. So far it isn’t showing up for sale (used or never used).

I got to try a clear Mini at the Pelikan Hub, when a man let me try his. Maybe your search will be easier.

I appreciate it. Since I made that post, I have seen one or two for sale on a certain big auction site, but one of them was nearly into the three digits in price and it had me having to look at things objectively. The ECO is a tremendous pen at $28, not so much at $98.

I wish you had done the test with both pens using the same ink. I've found Pelikan Edelstein Olivine to be a dry ink and my experience with Noodler's Eel line has always seemed very wet. Both characteristics can affect the line weight.

I still think the Eco stub will come out finer than the 580 since your test was VERY different, but I have to question just how different will they be when you remove the ink variable.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered this pen today. Can't wait and will report back when it arrives. :)

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

I ordered this pen today. Can't wait and will report back when it arrives. :)

:thumbup:

Engineer :