Share Your San Francisco 2018 Pen Show Experiences And Purchases

zaddick

I was wearing a kilt under my skirt.

From where I was standing your skirt looked like a bow tie...

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonSzanto

• zaddick

• dms525

• FarmBoy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From where I was standing your skirt looked like a bow tie...

Few people consider lying on the floor to be "standing". Cad.

In other news, I knew a guy who knew a guy who would grind a nib on my pen. Here's the art shot to prove it happened:

ecnX35Bh.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

That looks more like torture.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think he is poking the nib into the eye of a small animal, likely a bird. That is not allowed in San Francisco (or Redwood City).

I think he is poking the nib into the eye of a small animal, likely a bird. That is not allowed in San Francisco (or Redwood City).

But the pen is a Pelikan so he may actually be trying to feed that baby bird.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Oh, we can go all over the place with this stuff. I could say that he is using a Pelikan to do cataract surgery on the youngest member of The Residents. Honestly, though, he's just grinding through his day:

40355785_2004062052950620_34422691593443

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

First of all, for some mysterious reason some of my punctuation marks are disappearing from my posts, so I will try to post without contractions!

This is not really an SF purchase, but it is the RESULT of having gone to the SF pen show and seen that ginormous pen (which may have been a Mikado, not sure) in the Moon Shadow urushi. I present my Moon Shadow Hyotan. Sorry for the lousy pictures, I am not good at pen photos!post-112385-0-41405200-1535671218_thumb.jpegpost-112385-0-04989200-1535671235_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mardi13

Looks like we are waterboarding a pen.

My primary acquisition from the show was an utterly fantastic pen by Troy of bruteforcedesign.com -- made of CocoBolo wood! His work is great! Picture coming soon... But so so sweet.

Also got a pen case and a bag from Mark of Rickshaw bags, and a bottle of the show ink. Didn't buy that much really because I didn't sell some pens that I've got to get rid of...

AND I got to sit next to "reachingralph" (regaliawritinglabs.com I believe) -- he makes some truly amazing (and crazy) nibs. He'll take several steel nibs, laser weld several together, shape them a bit... and end up with a nib that writes in all sorts of interesting ways... medium, bold, sharpie bold, and fine all depending on how you hold the pen or flip the pen over. I do love to see creative interesting design work... and a great guy too!

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

My typical SF Pen Show experience again: sadness and regret.

Cos I'm nowhere near California in August. Sad face.

And Sarj made it this year, too. Would have loved to show him and Jas around my native land.

And when will I ever be at the same pen show with Stylo Art again?

Just to mention a small fraction of sadness (for me).

Sigh.

But I'm happy to read these posts and see the photos, here and other Internet places. I'm really glad that folks share their stories of the SF Pen Show. Hooray!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Sigh.

I just want you to know (and I don't think I'm the only person to feel this way) that it doesn't feel like either the same pen show or Posse without you. You are there in spirit, but I look forward to the day when you come back for one.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I just want you to know (and I don't think I'm the only person to feel this way) that it doesn't feel like either the same pen show or Posse without you. You are there in spirit, but I look forward to the day when you come back for one.

+1, to put it mildly. But ethernautrix has chosen to live a long way from Redwood City.

Aw... thanks, Jon and Jerome. It's helpful that Pen Posse friends like Franz and Gary post their photos in the fb Pen Posse group. Franz posted a bunch he took of people - many familiar faces - at the show. <smiling>

Alas! Homebase has moved from north to south, so perhaps I can visit a SoCal "pen posse" soon. Jon, any SD groups?

Meanwhile, I hope more folks post their photos here. I watched a couple of walkthroughs on YouTube (Franz and Mike Matteson).

Anyone buy or take photos of Stylo Art pens? <laughs>

etherX in To Miasto

Alas! Homebase has moved from north to south, so perhaps I can visit a SoCal "pen posse" soon. Jon, any SD groups?

Anyone buy or take photos of Stylo Art pens? <laughs>

Our friend Marta (remember "The Devil's Dictionary"?) has moved to San Diego and in recent developments will be the "Hubmaster" for the upcoming Pelikan Hub. We've talked about this morphing into a more regular, centrally-located pen meetup, pending finding a good location, etc. Will keep you informed. And I always take photos of StyloArt but I think I only snapped a couple of the wooden pens, not the raden/etc pens this year. I'll take a look.

Edited by JonSzanto

~ Benjamin Franklin

Whoa! Marta moved to San Diego! Oh, it'll be much easier for me to steal her Devil's Dictionary. Hahaha.

Well, that's great news! How's October looking for a meeting?

Oh boy!

etherX in To Miasto

Whoa! Marta moved to San Diego! Oh, it'll be much easier for me to steal her Devil's Dictionary. Hahaha.

Well, that's great news! How's October looking for a meeting?

Oh boy!

We can make something happen. She wants to get through the Pel Hub thing on 9/21 first, but that may lay the groundwork for future hangs. I'll mention this to her.

~ Benjamin Franklin

The picture speaks a thousand words and this 1944 Parker 51 vacumatic has been writing for the past 74 years. Thanks go out to that very well-known Bay Area Parker dealer! That's the only pen that I could afford. The other is the Soviet-era relic "Soyuz" that I had purchased in Moscow sometime ago.

post-116177-0-21148600-1535846797_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penlvr

I could not afford to spend a lot given the cost of living in the Bay Area, but I could not simply pass up on the offer on P51. Now I will be on "see pens" diet for the next two months. I am happy that I was able to get this Parker 51 and the dealer was patient, and flexible in pricing. I am grateful to this generous Academic and the dealer.

I felt I should add a nicer shot of the pen that Dan sold me. From the recent 2018 San Francisco Pen Show (which completely rocked), a Pelikan Souverän M815 Metal Striped. That tag line isn't just marketing: the stripes on the barrel are inlaid pieces of paladium-plated brass, which not only make it a bear to photograph but add a nice heft to the pen, and sparkle like the dickens. This was purchased from Dan Smith, who installed a two-tone nib and then ground a great cursive italic. Very happy with this one!

kj0fptXl.jpg

~ Benjamin Franklin