Dumas: A Lot Of Pen For The Job!

fpupulin

When the time comes, once every four months, to check and sign the press proofs of the journal to be sent to the printer, it is a real pleasure to choose which one among my pens will do the job.

This month the choice fell on my Montblanc Writers Edition Alexandre Dumas, the pen with the most splendid nib in my collection. Without a doubt, it is a lot of pen for the humble job…

fpn_1534990776__montblanc_dumas_at_work.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fpupulin

• Ghost Plane

• PAKMAN

• Skopa

Top Posters In This Topic

When the time comes, once every four months, to check and sign the press proofs of the journal to be sent to the printer, it is a real pleasure to choose which one among my pens will do the job.

This month the choice fell on my Montblanc Writers Edition Alexandre Dumas, the pen with the most splendid nib in my collection. Without a doubt, it is a lot of pen for the humble job…

~ fpupulin:

A beautiful pen shown with grace in a lovely photograph.

The luminosity and composition bring a smile.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Tom K.

fpupulin your pics/posts are always art to my eyes!

Even more so, I never in 15 years considered owning a Dumas or a Hemingway until your pictures started coming about! They're not characterized for being photogenic throughout the years, and yet you made them so desirable .

Edited by Pravda

It always baffles me that the Hemingway gets more love than the Dumas. To my eye the Dumas is a superior pen.

+1

I love the photo, the pen, and the thought that goes into the selection of a pen for a particular day’s work. I think both the Hemingway and the Dumas deserve a great deal of love and appreciation— the Dumas can actually be found at reasonable prices. Both are on my “one day” list.

My favorite WE! Love mine!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Thank you all for your kind words. I just noted, from an older pic, that this was not the first time I used the Dumas for proofreading...

fpn_1535140585__montblanc_dumas_at_work_

I am quite partial to nibs with symmetrical drawing, and often an asymmetrical engraved nib is reason enough for me to dislike a pen than otherwise I would like. The nib of the Dumas is not only symmetrical, but the lily of France engraving is just glorious:

fpn_1535140855__la_belle_dumas_12_2.jpg

Mine was transformed by Mike Masuyama from an original Medium to a medium italic, ca. 0.8 mm broad. It has now calligraphic properties, and I use it sometimes to this aim. Here is a page (on the right) written in Insular semi-uncial with my Dumas:

fpn_1535141000__insulare_con_la_dumas_lu

[...] They're not characterized for being photogenic throughout the years, and yet you made them so desirable .

Dear Pravda, we who frequent this forum are all, to varying degrees, victims of temptation and little tempter devils...

Photography, more than words, is the preferred language of temptation. I do not speak of the official product pics, cold, aseptic, but of the living photography, the one that stages the pens in action, with the light and colors of real life.

That kind of photographs, which make every pen alive and desirable, often spread irresistible temptations among the pages of the forum ...

fpn_1535152041__dumas_and_meisterstck_in

fpn_1535152081__penna_dumas_e_uva.jpg

Well spoken. And exquisitely photographed. Thank you for your posts. And I am glad that I already have mine, else I'd be irresistibly tempted.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso