The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Would Noodler's Black Be Safe To Use In A Parker 51 Vacumatic?

noodlers parker 51 vacumatic

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vindiction

Vindiction

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 20:32

I recently acquired a Parker 51 Vacumatic and, up to this point, I've been using Parker Quink Black in it. However, Quink Black is, in my experience, a very dry ink that isn't very water resistant either, so I was curious if I could switch to Noodler's black. I know the ink would require me to flush the pen more often (how frequently?), but I'm more concerned if it will cause any damage to the filling system, specifically to the rubber diaphragm.

Sponsored Content

#2 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 21:35

Don't think so. Noodler's Black is pH-neutral and not reactive to anything but cellulose (according to Nathan's articles). I have used NB in a lot of pens, from new to old, cheap to expensive. Not had any adverse experiences. I try a lot of inks, always come back to Noodler's -- especially Noodler's Black.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#3 FLZapped

FLZapped

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2018 - 00:50

Use it in all my Parkers, no problem.

#4 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:31

Yes.
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#5 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2018 - 22:08

The only ink I put in my Parker Sac filled pens, especially the Vacs is Aurora Blue Black, Aurora Blue, Aurora Black, or Visconti Blue. Just my personal preference.
There other “Safe” inks for Latex sacs, such as those by Sheaffer, Waterman, Pelikan 4001 series, and Parker.
With Cartridge/Converter pens I’m all over the lot depending on the pen and colors. Right now it’s Diamine, Pilot, DeAtramentis, Iroshizuku, Montblanc, Sailor, and Edlestein.

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 September 2018 - 22:59

I have used Noodler's black in 51 aerometric fillers with no issues.  I used it for a couple of years.  Now using blue black from other makers.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,672 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 00:32

I have used Noodler's black in 51 aerometric fillers with no issues.  I used it for a couple of years.  Now using blue black from other makers.

Good to know.

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,691 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 02:04

Remember -- 51s were designed to use with Superchrome Ink -- which by all accounts was pretty noxious.  

Personally I'm not that fond of Noodler's Black (having a slight preference for Noodler's Heart of Darkness).  But I've used Noodler's Purple Heart without a moment's hesitation in my Plum Demi Aero.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:06

I have a 51 Demi Vac and have had success with Diamine Blue Black and Waterman Serenity Blue in the eight months since I got it. Serenity Blue only one or two fills, but the Diamine Blue Black for a good six to seven months without problems.

My 51 Special (aero filler) currently has Levenger Amethyst in it.

Edited by Runnin_Ute, 15 September 2018 - 03:07.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#10 Noihvo

Noihvo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:08

fpn_1536995283__img_4595.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, parker 51, vacumatic