Can A Scratchy Ideal Nib Be Smoothed?

AlohaLani787

Recently I acquired a vintage Waterman with an Ideal nib. It's a neat pen with a more flexible nib than my other brand pens and I enjoy using it. Unfortunately, it is extremely "scratchy" and I'm in the process of testing papers that would reduce this tendency.

Is there anything I can do to smooth this nib, or is this a known characteristic of the Ideal?

If there is something I can do, please advise. If it means sending it out for smoothing, I'd appreciate nibmeister recommendations.

Thank you in advance!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlohaLani787

• sansenri

• alexwi

• sidthecat

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you had a look at your nib with a loupe? Scratchiness may be bad alignment, broken tipping or decades of wear...all of which can be fixed.

There’s a number of nibmeisters who could probably help you. May I respectfully suggest you have a look round the Pen Repair forum: I’m sure there’s many lists of people who can help you.

I use Greg Minuskin for some of my more radical capers - he’s top-of-the-line and charges accordingly. I’ve also had very good results from Pendemonium.

Have you had a look at your nib with a loupe? Scratchiness may be bad alignment, broken tipping or decades of wear...all of which can be fixed.

There’s a number of nibmeisters who could probably help you. May I respectfully suggest you have a look round the Pen Repair forum: I’m sure there’s many lists of people who can help you.

I use Greg Minuskin for some of my more radical capers - he’s top-of-the-line and charges accordingly. I’ve also had very good results from Pendemonium.

Thank you. I don't have a loupe, but I will acquire one very soon to take a look at this nib.

I'll check the Pen Repair forum for a recommended repair person. It would probably be best if I didn't attempt a repair myself.

It would probably be best if I didn't attempt a repair myself.

If you're new to pens, I would agree.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

On a couple of occasions when I've had a slightly scratchy nib but with no obvious issues, I've outlined a figure 8 a few times on a sheet of very very fine micromesh (holding the pen as if I were writing) and that has solved the problem. It's easy to try, and won't damage the nib.

Plus one. Fool for a client. I have proven this to myself.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

There's no way I'm attempting anything that could even be construed as an adjustment.

On a couple of occasions when I've had a slightly scratchy nib but with no obvious issues, I've outlined a figure 8 a few times on a sheet of very very fine micromesh (holding the pen as if I were writing) and that has solved the problem. It's easy to try, and won't damage the nib.

Unfortunately, this nib doesn't sound as though it has the same issue as yours - "slightly scratchy." This one is beyond slightly.

Plus one. Fool for a client. I have proven this to myself.

Haha, I'm not seeking to join you. :)

• 1 year later...

Where can one procure very very fine micromesh as mentioned in the quote above? Thanks!

the bay as usual...

just type the name and it will come up

12000 is the finest mesh and good for final smoothing

I do not usually go below 8000 for smoothing jobs.

Be careful with it and stop and test often, it is not so evident looking at your nib but micromesh will eat up your tipping so go slowly and turn the nib also on its sides as you work so you will not form a flat spot.

For the original poster, please post the results of this basic test.

It is a matter of curiosity. I am not encouraging you to attempt a repair which you are uncomfortable with.

Make a series of straight horizontal lines to the right, does it scratch?

Make a series of straight horizontal lines to the left, does it scratch?

Make a series of straight vertical lines going down, does it scratch?

Make a series of straight vertical lines going up, does it scratch?

Describe the scratch, such as.. "It is the worst in this direction", "It is only slight in this direction", "it is very faint in this direction", "it does not scratch in this direction".

Other details are useful, such as "it leaves a wetter or wider line in this direction", or, "the line seems more faint or thinner in this direction".

also,

Is the feed aligned with the center of the nib, i.e. the nib isn't slightly left or right of the feed is it? If it is, it tends to lift one or the other tine, causing mis-alignment.

Best of luck with your pen. There are a lot of good people who have posted and given you good advice above.

In my limited experience, degraded tipping can be very hard to see unless you have a stereo microscope. On a couple of scratchy pens, I had tipping that looked not too bad under a loupe but closer inspection revealed that chunks of tipping had fallen away leaving sharp-edged pits. Trying to smooth something like this might well result in the rest of the tipping falling off.

Flex nibs need to be fairly fine to create the type of variation most people are looking for. Vintage F and XF nibs were never smooth to begin with and have not improved with age. Can you enjoy the nib despite the scratch? If yes, leave it alone. If it is really unusable, retipping (eg Minuskin) cost is high and chances are pretty good the result with be both smoother (good) and broader (bad). Might be better to look for a usable nib.

Edited by cunim

Thank you. I don't have a loupe, but I will acquire one very soon to take a look at this nib.

I'll check the Pen Repair forum for a recommended repair person. It would probably be best if I didn't attempt a repair myself.

While a 10x loupe's probably the best way to look at a nib (I have a Hastings and a Belomo, with the latter being the one I prefer because it's bigger), there are apps that will get you enough magnification on your phone to tell whether your tines are out of alignment. The one I use on Android is called Visor. What I usually do is set the phone on the edge of the desk, with the camera pointing down and then maneuver the pen or whatever I'm looking at into focus. That way the phone remains steady.

Alex

fpn_1579460378__visor-android-loupe-app.

Edited by alexwi

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh

Thanks for the info on the app, sounds interesting.

It does surprise me that a Waterman ideal nib feels scratchy, in my experience they are among the smoothest nibs I have ever tried, particularly those on Man100s and Man200s.

Here are two images from the app - Parker Arrow (1981) nib:

fpn_1579476554__parker-arrow-nib.jpg

fpn_1579476569__parker-arrow-nib-undersi

---------------------------------------------------------

We use our phones more than our pens.....

and the world is a worse place for it. - markh