Two Kinds Of Lamy Enthusiasts:

ajengmd

Sorry, I don't have any photos. Maybe I'm describing it badly... I think of the edges of the triangular grip as being somewhat like this, which is a "flanged mace"

Now I am really confused.

You had an Al-Star that had a metal section? The triangular grip was metal?

I've never heard of ANY Safari/LX/Al-Star with a metal section/grip.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Glenn-SC

• 1nkulus

• inkstainedruth

• ajengmd

The AL-Star shares its grip with the Lx. Both have a grip section made acrylic plastic, like a Vista, but smoked transparent. There is no pen in this family with a metal grip section. Whatever it was, it was no Lamy.

Huh. Now I'm wondering what it was I tried. It was at a pen show several years ago, and I could have sworn it was one of the purple al-Stars. Because at the time I had the Jinhao 599 and so was thinking about looking at an al-Star (and maybe also a Pink Safari, but didn't really like the re-issued pink color all that much). And it was definitely NOT a Jinhao. I remember the edges of the triangular grip being really sharp, so maybe I just assumed they were metal the way the rest of the pen (body and cap) were.

It had to have been before the Dark Lilac Safaris came out, because when I saw them I knew I wanted one. Because purple. And I remember seeing a review that Goulet Pens did that had a side by side of it with a purple al-Star and liking the color of the Safari a lot better.... So maybe it was at OPS the previous fall.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Interesting... for me it's almost the other way around: Lamy 2000 just disappears out of sight once I use it (and sometimes when I'm not using it because of the minimalistic design) but is absolutely great on my hand, just having that extra flexibility as to where I want to hold it.

I have Lamy 2000 in F (I will not buy another Lamy2000), Al-star and Safari and Vista. I do not love them at all. I do not hate them. I do not refund them. I do not use them often.

Lamy2000 pleases my eyes but not my hand; Safari and Al-star used to please my eyes but not as much these days, and I strongly dislike the triangular grip and dryout problem. However I enjoy the wetness of the 1.1mm stub nib. It makes certain inks possible to finally use, e.g. Alt Goldgrun, Scabiosa, Diamine Sepia.

Lamy makes me uneasy. Triangular grip or not; Lamy2000 or not - they are all an awkward existence in my collection.

I like the 2K and don't hate any of the FP's.

No issue with the triangular grip either, the Vista is used once a week.

Some models tend to get used more often.

As for pricing, that is a different matter. ;)

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's a binary condition. Why Love/Hate? There are people in the middle, who think it's OK, but not enough to own one. Or, they own one but don't use it much.

50th anniversary was a joke. A different color of the stainless steel version? No improvements? Ridiculous. I think the stainless steel version isn't worth owning, because it's so heavy and lacks an ink window. Plus, with the weight, if you drop it you can guarantee a hard floor will put a dent in it. I'll bet that most people who own one don't use it on a regular basis, because of these factors. Fine to complete a collection, but from a usability standpoint it falls rather short.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

50th anniversary was a joke. A different color of the stainless steel version? No improvements? Ridiculous. I think the stainless steel version isn't worth owning, because it's so heavy and lacks an ink window. Plus, with the weight, if you drop it you can guarantee a hard floor will put a dent in it. I'll bet that most people who own one don't use it on a regular basis, because of these factors. Fine to complete a collection, but from a usability standpoint it falls rather short.

+1

OTOH, I prefer my SS to the makrolon due to the weight but I am probably in the minority. :D

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 2000 in macrolon. It’s light, always writes and is well balanced.

I don’t care for the safaris. The nib on mine is verrry scratchy . I know

it can be smoothed but ......

The dialog 3 nib goes in but the cover doesn’t always close. I prefer

Pilot vanishing point.

The safari is nice but I don’t like the metal secti9n.

The safari is nice but I don’t like the metal secti9n.

Safaris don't have metal sections. That was covered in post #22 above.

Though I have other Lamy pens, I resisted buying the 2000 for a long time. The action of the cap felt metallic and off-putting to me whenever I handled one in person at pen shows.

This summer I bought a pen from Pen Chalet, and had to send back because it was defective. I didn't want another of the same pen, and the rest of the offerings Pen Chalet had in stock weren't speaking to me, so I ordered a 2000.

I've had the 2000 for two months now and I can't stop writing with it.

I've had the 2000 for two months now and I can't stop writing with it.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Engineer :

Huh. Now I'm wondering what it was I tried. It was at a pen show several years ago, and I could have sworn it was one of the purple al-Stars. Because at the time I had the Jinhao 599 and so was thinking about looking at an al-Star (and maybe also a Pink Safari, but didn't really like the re-issued pink color all that much). And it was definitely NOT a Jinhao. I remember the edges of the triangular grip being really sharp, so maybe I just assumed they were metal the way the rest of the pen (body and cap) were.

It had to have been before the Dark Lilac Safaris came out, because when I saw them I knew I wanted one. Because purple. And I remember seeing a review that Goulet Pens did that had a side by side of it with a purple al-Star and liking the color of the Safari a lot better.... So maybe it was at OPS the previous fall.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Because of your experience, I waited a number of years to buy my Purple All Star.

I got it at a Brick and Mortar store, when I bought an LE All Star. The grips of the recent LE colors are significantly smoother than the Purple.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the third kind of Lamy lover: the ones who prefer the vintage pens, made before the designs went all minimalistic. I have a half dozen variants of the 27 and a couple of 99's, and love them all dearly. Lamy really knew how to make a nib back then.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I'm the third kind of Lamy lover: the ones who prefer the vintage pens, made before the designs went all minimalistic. I have a half dozen variants of the 27 and a couple of 99's, and love them all dearly. Lamy really knew how to make a nib back then.

My grandfather had two Lamy 99 in Grey with 14K nib. Bought in the 60's IIRC.

I am at present unsure of their whereabouts. :(

OTOH, for the purpose of this thread, you would still fall into the second kind rather than third. :lol:

According to the OP,

1) Those who love L2K

2) Those who hate L2K, but like/love other Lamy models.

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :