Sheaffer Pfm Production Dates

davefoe

Periodically I look at the listings for Sheaffer PFM models on ebay, and began to wonder about how long this pen was manufactured and/or in the catalogs. I know it was introduced in 1959. When was it discontinued? I know Sheaffer dropped the "Sheaffer'S" designation about 1963 or so, and I have never seen a PFM that was marked "Sheaffer," so I'm wondering if the PFM was dropped before the switch to "Sheaffer" or if they just continued to have it in the catalogs for several years into the later 1960s using older stock.

Anybody have any info on this?

Dave

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davefoe

• Kelly G

• Bobby Check

• P25B

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know the 1968 date has been given previously, but I have to wonder. Perhaps they were still offered, but consisted of older stock. There seem to be no pens with the "Sheaffer" as opposed to "Sheaffer's" trademark on them, and I have never encountered a PFM ad later than the early '60s. Does anybody have any mid- to late-1960s Sheaffer catalogs?

Dave

From what I've heard you could find snorkels (and I assume PFM's) into the 1980's at some stores. These pens were produced in phenomenal numbers so being available a decade or so later is not hard to believe. The last PFM ad I have is 1965 though, Sheaffer often sold items after ad support had ended. I have more catalogs in this era but, I've not had time to scan - I have them borrowed from Dan Reppert. The production dates for PFM's I would take as accurate. The ads show "Sheaffer'S" on the clips through 1965 after which the clips have no name. I would think that PFM's were made with the same equipment through the end of production so their clips probably maintained the "Sheaffer'S" the entire run. Ads do change in 1964 saying that the company name is "Sheaffer" at that point but, as I said '65 showed "Sheaffer'S" on the clip.

Roger W.

Hi all,

Davefoe - you have now...

I have recently been fortunate enough to get two PFM's. One has the Sheaffer'S (also with a stub nib, which I adore and is now my daily writer),

post-138682-0-56929900-1535063381_thumb.jpg

the other has SHEAFFER. Is the SHEAFFER rare then?

post-138682-0-60615800-1535063456_thumb.jpg

Neither are great images I'm afraid, but I can more if required.

Edited by P25B