Vivid Blue Ink That Works With Lamy 2000, Any Help Would Be Great.

dmsn67

Afternoon all.

I just purchased a Lamy 2000 with a medium nib. I tend to prefer blue ink so also picked up Herbin's éclat de saphir. This pairing is not working that well for me. I think that the ink is too wet for the nib and its putting down way too much. I picked up a bottle of lamy's blue ink and its much better, but I am not that keen on the colour.

I tried a safari (m) with the Herbin ink and its a lot better. In hindsight I should have gone for the fine nib on the 2000 as I am convinced the the medium equates to a broad.

I wondered if anyone else had similar issues and if so blue inks would work with the 2000. I have never tried Pelikan inks but love some of the colours, especially the edelstein range. before i splash out more cash, wondered if anyone could help.

Any help with this will be gratefully received.

Dominic

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• dmsn67

• AidenMark

• pitonyak

Use drier inks to help tame wet pens like your Lamy 2000.

Here's a post that may start you along your journey: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/322257-best-dry-inks/

My tips, as you enjoy blue inks would be Pelikan Royal Blue, R&K Salix (less vivid) and you may want to try Seitz-Kreuznach's Pacific Blue. Whilst I have no experience of the Seitz-Kreuznach Pacific Blue, their Navy Blue has lived in my Lamy 2000 for a very long time and performs beautifully with it.

Best of luck :)

Tas,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I will pop to Dublin at the weekend and see if if they stock the above. failing that will order on line.

Dominic :D

You’re welcome. Ask the store’s advice whilst you’re there and don’t forget to let us know how you get on.

i regularly use iroshizuku tsuki yo , a beautiful blue black more towards blue side

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

Diamine Blue Velvet.

Once I found it was a perfect match I resolved never to use anything else.

Less is More - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Less is a Bore - Robert Venturi

Vivid blues I enjoy would be Diamine Blue Velvet, as mentioned in the post above, and Monteverde Sapphire (Gemstone Collection). With your pen writing wet, however, I’m not sure how these will perform for you. Although I don’t have any of his Blue inks, most of the Robert Oster inks I have used tended to be on the dry side. I believe he has lots of blues, so perhaps you should look over what he offers. Hopefully you can avail yourself of samples of any of these. Good luck.

I would second AidenMark's Blue Velvet suggestion.

As an alternative, you could try Akkerman's Shocking Blue.

You might also consider KWZI Blue #3. This is a vivid blue that has a depth once dry that I have never seen on any other ink.

I use Iroshizuku Asa Gao in my Lamy 2000 Makrolon EF and I love the combination. Also my Lamy 2000 Makrolon F is currently inked with Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo and it is also a good combination.

I have this strange impression that I enjoy my Lamy Turquoise ink (blue-ish, vivid) best when I put it in my Lamy 2000 EF (instead of in my Pilot Custom 74 F)

• 3 weeks later...

I use almost exclusively Noodler's Liberty's Elysium in my L2k with a medium nib -- it isn't an ideal combo to be honest. But I love that color in that pen, so I use it.

Better pairings I have found that might be closer to what you are looking for:

Pelikan Edelstein Topaz - perfect flow, easy clean up, ZERO nib creep. Since my L2k was a bit wetter there wasn't that much shading -- it goes down pretty solid unless I write in block print (my strokes in that font are more staccato and allow more shading than my cursive).

Monteverde Horizon Blue - slightly wetter flow than the Topaz, but less than the Liberty's Elysium. Again, not much shading, but super easy cleanup and a solid "work appropriate" blue. No flow issues with either ink...

Firstly..Welcome dmsn67..enjoy your time here.......

Aurora Blue.....

Fred..

who uses as a matter of usual practice.......Blues.

Try L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Bleu Mediterreanee. Lovely blue that is slightly drier.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I had similar thoughts with a rather generous and wet Fine nib in a Lamy 2000. I went through a lot of different blues and blacks and few only laid a dark enough line. What complicated matters is that I didn't want to use a potentially staining ink. In the end I found that Diamine Oxford Blue does well in all these respects (it's what I use the pen with right now), as does Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. The Diamine ink is a very dark blue while the Pelikan a dark blue-black. Between the two I find the Diamine a bit more interesting, although the Pelikan has a wee bit of water resistance when the Diamine has none.

Eh...

I think Lamy Blue can be kinda vivid if it comes out from a gusher.

If your 2K is a gusher, than I think you'd enjoy Lamy Blue very much.

Noodler's Ottoman Azure has worked well for the past year in my Lamy 2000 (F) after disappointing performances by several other inks. But on reading what others have had to say, I might try one of the less opaque inks at some point for a change of pace.

My Lamy2000f has been filled with Diamine Florida Blue for months. Previously it was Diamine Royal Blue. I find them vivid, especially when presented wet. In dry pens, they can be irritating.