The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Grommet/tassie Replacement

repair esterbrook grommet tassie jewel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tschmid

Tschmid

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 22:45

Hi, everyone. I am very new to Esterbrook repair and have a question. Ive got a J that had a mangled barrel jewel which I removed and found out that it was a threaded jewel. The problems Im having are that the tassie (I think thats the word for the little metal trim ring) is gone and the replacement jewel I have is a press fit. Are there sources for tassies or the grommets that the press fit pens use?

Any help is much appreciated.

Taylor

Edited by Tschmid, 21 August 2018 - 04:23.

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,480 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:50

Buy a replacement barrel.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,709 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:24

Buy a replacement barrel.

I agree.  While the threaded jewel is nice, the cost and labor to replace the parts exceeds the price of a replacement - and the end result (pun noted) is the same.  

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 Tschmid

Tschmid

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:35

Well, dang. I was hoping that wasnt the answer. Thanks guys, I guess Ill start looking around for a replacement.

Edited by Tschmid, 22 August 2018 - 04:35.

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,480 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 04:37

Well, dang. I was hoping that wasnt the answer. Thanks guys, I guess Ill start looking around for a replacement.

Lets start with which color is the barrel.

Early J or late J?  (Sac tray or no sac tray?)

Farm

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#6 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 15:04

When did the sac tray disappear? I have 6 J Esties, and haven't seen a tray in any of them.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#7 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2018 - 16:34

If I were a serious collector, I would probably want to collect all those varieties. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,480 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:25

When did the sac tray disappear? I have 6 J Esties, and haven't seen a tray in any of them.

The sac tray was gone then appeared. It allowed the use of the same saccin all j series pens.

#9 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 8,709 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 14:04

The sac tray was gone then appeared. It allowed the use of the same saccin all j series pens.

...and lever and pressure bar.  Some of the levers have two different sets of holes that the barrel ring went through, depending on whether it was used in a J or SJ.  Larger barrel means that the lever has to reach farther down to fully compress the sac.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair, esterbrook, grommet, tassie, jewel

Sponsored Content

|