Pilot Prera Medium Review

IndigoBOB

Nice review, I have a Pilot Prera with a fine nib, and I do like it a lot. But I think I want one in with a medium nib.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• TSherbs

• minddance

• LionRoar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review, I have a Pilot Prera with a fine nib, and I do like it a lot. But I think I want one in with a medium nib.

I tried the Fine, but I couldn't enjoy it.

There's always the possibility of using really lubricated/wet ink to get the fine to write better, but I didn't have that luck.

I went the way of using a Medium nib and if I need it to write finer I use different ink. Right now my Prera is inked with HOD, which writes a thicker line, a MF line.

I'll use less spreading inks to write a finer line. My Sailor Kiwa-Guro tames every nib's line I use it with, though it needs a wet pen to not look spotty.

The only pens in my collection I write with posted and feel comfortable doing so. A good value for money litte pen.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

You guys are making me want to buy a plumix to try out that M nib.

I’ve seen some sets (online) where you get 3 Plumix pens. Some are not the usual colors (black, purple and a medium blue). I’ve seen green, dark blue and pink.

Definitely give the Medium Calligraphy nib a try. It’s pretty impressive. I love the nibs that give line variation.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Anazon has Preras with various nibs at very good prices, including a medium nib for about $24. Some used pens are available for about $20!

Brian

• 1 month later...

The Pilot Prera is the most comfortable writer I own. It's very similar in size and shape and weight to the Pelikan M200, but without the annoying threads on the section. It's not an especially pretty pen, it won't impress anyone, but it just works great.

It's nib is interchangeable with other inexpensive Pilots, including the Metropolitan, so you can get extra nibs for $12 by buying a Metropolitan on sale. In fact, the nib which came with my Prera was bad and I swapped it out with the nib from a Knight that was lying around (now the Knight was a pen that I really hated).

At the U.S. list price, it appears to be vastly overpriced. I can't see any reason why it costs more money to manufacture than a Metropolitan. But you can find then on sale at Amazon for a lot less than the list price.

I think Pilot charges about 20$ for a new cap, whether the pen be solid or translucent.

Nonetheless, I think many of you have seen my praises on the Prera...

But I like 'em a lot!

It's a great shape with a great nib.

They are well-balanced and feel well-made with their slightly soft-to-touch plastic.

I digress, in my experience, people think the Prera is a sharp, snazzy looking pen.

I think Pilot charges about 20$ for a new cap, whether the pen be solid or translucent.

Nonetheless, I think many of you have seen my praises on the Prera...

But I like 'em a lot!

It's a great shape with a great nib.

They are well-balanced and feel well-made with their slightly soft-to-touch plastic.

I digress, in my experience, people think the Prera is a sharp, snazzy looking pen.

Well, the Prera looks nicer than a disposable pen, and I do like the silver nib against the clear plastic, but I don't find it especially elegant looking. If you want a really nice looking pen in the same size/shape/weight, go for the Pelikan M205 in the new blue edition. You also get the benefit of a a piston fill with a much bigger ink chamber than what you get with the tiny Con-40 or Con-50 or whatever converter Pilot is selling these days.

Well, the Prera looks nicer than a disposable pen, and I do like the silver nib against the clear plastic, but I don't find it especially elegant looking. If you want a really nice looking pen in the same size/shape/weight, go for the Pelikan M205 in the new blue edition. You also get the benefit of a a piston fill with a much bigger ink chamber than what you get with the tiny Con-40 or Con-50 or whatever converter Pilot is selling these days.

The price difference between these is very large.

I agree with the previous post.

I am aware of the M200, (I do own a 140), but the M200 suffers from being fairly expensive for a steel nib and I can feel the molding lines on the pen. The plastic also feels hard; I don't perceive it to be as soft and pleasant as the Prera.

My 2 cents.

I agree with the previous post.

I am aware of the M200, (I do own a 140), but the M200 suffers from being fairly expensive for a steel nib and I can feel the molding lines on the pen. The plastic also feels hard; I don't perceive it to be as soft and pleasant as the Prera.

My 2 cents.

I consider the Prera a poor man's M200, given they are about the same size/shape/weight.

I think the Prera is actually the more comfortable pen to hold, primarily because of the longer section with no threads. But I don't understand the part about the Pelikan's plastic feeling harder than the Prera. I can't tell the difference.

The Pelikans are way more beautiful, and there's a reason why they cost more, it's not just because of the piston fill mechanism.

I would say, at list price, what they both have in common is that they sell for way way more than the marginal cost of manufacture.

Edited by LionRoar

I love the Prera and Metropolitan - I think the Metro is great value at the price, performance and the fact that it comes with a converter its a great starter pen. I love the Prera's look - especially the demonstrators, but sadly one of mine are falling apart - nothing major just the finial is coming off the pen cap.

The Kakuno is super cute, but I've bee a little disappointed - mine has been very dry and I haven't been able to fully disassemble like the metropolitan and Prera.

Lionroar - have you had issues with the Pelikan M200 nib? I've read that they are scratchy and hard start.

I consider the Prera a poor man's M200, given they are about the same size/shape/weight.

I think the Prera is actually the more comfortable pen to hold, primarily because of the longer section with no threads. But I don't understand the part about the Pelikan's plastic feeling harder than the Prera. I can't tell the difference.

The Pelikans are way more beautiful, and there's a reason why they cost more, it's not just because of the piston fill mechanism.

I would say, at list price, what they both have in common is that they sell for way way more than the marginal cost of manufacture.

I think the M200 and Prera are equal to hold, (in my experience).

The plastic thing is something that bugs me, but most people don't care.

I can be really anal about balance and plastics, (I will NOT use a pen that's front heavy, which is why I won a Vacumatic Parker 51.)

And yes, you are right about the Pelikans in terms of looks and price.

(I guess we are at a mutual agreement!)

Obviously the Pelikan does have the Binde and the feeder section and the piston filler, but I still think it doesn't have to retail for a price that competes with the Lamy 2000.

When I first started using fountain pens, the Prera and M200 were very close in price :-). There is a real difference in styling with the Pelikan looking very classic, while the Pilot has a more modern streamlined look. To their credit, Pilot has kept prices stable across all of their lines, while Pelikan has priced itself like a luxury brand. As for a converter for the Prera, I like the old Con-20. It may not look good on a demonstrator, bit with the solid colors, it is super simple to use and gives you much greater ink capacity.

Dave

• 5 years later...
On 10/26/2018 at 8:33 PM, rdh said:

When I first started using fountain pens, the Prera and M200 were very close in price 🙂

Fast forward another 6 years and now the M200 is now over 6x the price of the Prera. Which is crazy. The Prera remains a favourite of mine, despite its diminutive size, and despite the fact I've now collected quite a few high end pens. I guess that's partly due to how I don't tend to take my fancy pens out the house, while the Preras will travel anywhere with me. It's also extremely comfortable to hold, and yes, the plastic somehow feels nicer than on other pens. My yellow one is my favourite.