The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,
Due to a continuing DDoS attack, and a hardware malfunction, FPN is moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with both issues, but unfortunately both take time. Until these both resolve, FPN will continue to be slow. ETA is not available yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Your Top Two Favorite Pens From Your Collection

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Fountainpencrazy

Fountainpencrazy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 22:54

I was discussing my wrist watch and fountain pen collection with a friend of mine and he asked me an interesting question. If someone forced me to get rid of my entire collection and only keep one pen which one would I choose? I debated with him and convinced him to expand the scope to include two, my favorite due to sentimental reason and my favorite due to practical reason. Here are my top two fountain Pens

1. ​​​​​Montblanc Proust BB nib - This is my favorite pen in my collection. It's might not be my best writer, but overall, this pen is awesome. I love this pen and will never part with it.
  2. Montblanc 642 - This pen was bought by my grandfather and used extensively by my father. I hope to keep this in the family for as long as possible.

Jz519Ss.jpg

Which are your two favorite pens and why?

Sponsored Content

#2 Reed_thoughts

Reed_thoughts

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 00:11

Very tough... Many have a significant value for me.
One is the one used to sign my daughter's custody agreement... It will be her pen when she is old enough. Twain's edition.

One was used as an engagement pen, I used it to sign my marriage certificate, my house, and many love letter... Oh and the immigration, etc. Virginia Woolf.

One was my godfather's, he used it during college and during work. He signed his house and many other docs with it. He gifted it to me when I graduated. 149 from the 70s.

One was my grandmother's. A 144 Bordeaux.

One was to commemorate the house purchase. My Homer.

One was my first work bonus. My 145 Platinum.

The Leonardo was the first pen my parents gifted me upon graduation. I love it.

So, how do I only select two?

And there are more with stories.

#3 Fountainpencrazy

Fountainpencrazy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 00:16

That's precisely what i was telling my friend. There is no way on earth I can narrow it down to one. Narrowing it down to two is easier, but i feel wrong 'betraying' so many worthy FPs. 

#4 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:54

I am too inconstant for two.

Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#5 MHBru

MHBru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 03:57

My favorite 3 pens are all Pelikan M8xx. Does that count as 1 or 3?

#6 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 15:24

149 and Dumas for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#7 Michael R.

Michael R.

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 15:40

Must be the vintage 32 my dad gave me many years ago after using it for many, many years himself and my Hemingway; first pen I choose to buy by myself being still in school.

Cheers

Michael

#8 Fountainpencrazy

Fountainpencrazy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 16:42

Haha I should have exploited this loophole and picked the Meisterstuck vintage range!

My favorite 3 pens are all Pelikan M8xx. Does that count as 1 or 3?

As am I, this was not an easy decision and there are dozens of other worthy pens that I wish I could list.

Good choice. Which Dumas, father or son?

149 and Dumas for me.

I'm yet to own one of the winged nib pens that a lot of other members also favor. Good call on the Hemingway, I just got mine and am loving it.

Must be the vintage 32 my dad gave me many years ago after using it for many, many years himself and my Hemingway; first pen I choose to buy by myself being still in school.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Fountainpencrazy, 20 August 2018 - 16:43.

#9 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• 3,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 18:20

~ Fountainpencrazy:

If someone was using force to take my pens...that's a tough situation.

There aren't any favorite pens. They all write well.

I'm not that attached to them, whether OBBBs, Bespoke or EEF, they're writing tools.

Perhaps I lack the imagination necessary to visualize such a distressing situation.

Tom K.

#10 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,483 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 18:40

I used Pelikan 120 in college, and an M900 EF Toledo is my absolute fav.

Forced to pick a second out of 40 others - Visconti HS Bronze, I’d guess due to how very sweetly it writes.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#11 dubhe

dubhe

Away at Sea

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 20:23

My Oscar Wilde WE is my favourite writing pen, it’s nib just works and I love the shape of the barrel in my hand. It’s also gorgeous.

The other pen I would keep is my Martele, it represents the end of a period of buying and later selling pens, buying a slightly more pricey one each time. I bought the Martele completely with funds from pen sales, so it represents many pens and the end of a journey which started about three years ago with a 146 from eBay.

#12 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 21:36

My Oscar Wilde WE is my favourite writing pen, it’s nib just works and I love the shape of the barrel in my hand. It’s also gorgeous.

The other pen I would keep is my Martele, it represents the end of a period of buying and later selling pens, buying a slightly more pricey one each time. I bought the Martele completely with funds from pen sales, so it represents many pens and the end of a journey which started about three years ago with a 146 from eBay.

~ dubhe:

What you've explained above moves me.

The image of your Martelé being the culmination of wonderful pens along a journey is deeply meaningful to me.

Thank you for explaining your reasoning. It reflects the wisdom gained through action and reflection.

Very nice. I'm so glad that you write with such quality pens.

The WE Wilde is a model I've considered from time to time. Your comment above adds to its luster.

Tom K.

#13 Fountainpencrazy

Fountainpencrazy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 23:34

Tom, I was looking forward to you commenting since you seem have an eclectic collection with some bespoken and rare pieces. I guess you are more focused on the writing than the accumulation of tools that help you with it. Someday I'll track you down and make you pick two and give me the rest :D .

~ Fountainpencrazy:

If someone was using force to take my pens...that's a tough situation.

There aren't any favorite pens. They all write well.

I'm not that attached to them, whether OBBBs, Bespoke or EEF, they're writing tools.

Perhaps I lack the imagination necessary to visualize such a distressing situation.

Tom K.

Both are excellent options. The Visconti HS is an awesome pen. Fun fact, when these started showing up on ebay in 2011 / 2012, I ended up winning 2 or 3 for about $150. Ended up selling all of them for around $325-$350 within days. I still regret not keeping one for my collection. They are extremely well constructed and the nib was a pleasure to write with.

I used Pelikan 120 in college, and an M900 EF Toledo is my absolute fav.

Forced to pick a second out of 40 others - Visconti HS Bronze, I’d guess due to how very sweetly it writes.

I've never thought of my collection that way!!! There are certain pens that I got to celebrate milestones, but there never was a concerted effort to move my collection in a certain direction. I guess the Homer will be one such pen for me. It's going to be the first pen I acquire one I've sold off most of my collection and broke even. (I'm currently a few thousand dollars away from that goal, however, I have a few dozen pens to sell and the Homer is the only one that I "need". The Schiller looks tempting too...)

That's very well articulated. What do you think? The world is coming to an end, it's practically the second coming, and you can only salvage two. Which ones would you go for?  :huh:

~ dubhe:

What you've explained above moves me.

The image of your Martelé being the culmination of wonderful pens along a journey is deeply meaningful to me.

Thank you for explaining your reasoning. It reflects the wisdom gained through action and reflection.

Very nice. I'm so glad that you write with such quality pens.

The WE Wilde is a model I've considered from time to time. Your comment above adds to its luster.

Tom K.

#14 jagwap

jagwap

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:31

It depends on the definition of favourite.

My most used are two Pilot Vanishing Points due to their practicallity at work. One with an extra fine nib (smaller than EEF in MB) and a custom crisp italic.

But most cherished are my Sailor Gear II extra fine (not available off the shelf in that nib) and my 1912 Heritage with a custom fine italic.

#15 EBGBs

EBGBs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 02:35

I have changed my perspective on what favourite pen means to me recently.

I used to prefer the smoothest nibs, and my favourite MB pen was my Swift (M). This thing glides, sails, ice-skates on paper. It was actually ticking 2 boxes; as the Swift was also one of my very first fountain pens. I love heavy pens, too.

Recently I have been trying to improve (actually rather change) my handwriting; which was very much needed by the way. Without it being proper nice calligraphy, I still wanted some to have up and down strokes. And sadly I have found my dear smoothest nibs a little less easy to control, and also a little more prone to skippin after a little flex.

My favourite pen right now is the Poe (M); it has a bit of tooth but it writes superbly; nice line variation, upstrokes and downstrokes, handles some flex very well, no skip. More than the actual feel on paper, I like what it makes my handwriting look like.

Funnily enough; the Poe is a pen I had not even really wanted. I came to buy a lot of 3 Writer’s pens (Tolstoy, Schiller and Poe) and out of the 3; the Poe is the one I was the least keen about – aesthetically speaking. Its looks still underwhelm me a bit, but what a great writer.

#16 Stylo_dOr

Stylo_dOr

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:23

Clever

#17 Stylo_dOr

Stylo_dOr

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:45

I'd say my two favorite MB's are my 90 Years red gold FP and my LeGrand Sterling RB.

#18 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

• Member - Gold

• 3,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:41

Tom, I was looking forward to you commenting since you seem have an eclectic collection with some bespoken and rare pieces. I guess you are more focused on the writing than the accumulation of tools that help you with it. Someday I'll track you down and make you pick two and give me the rest :D .

~ Fountainpencrazy:

Thank you for your considerate understanding.

As all of the pens on my writing desk are excellent daily writers, any two which you'd grant me would be more than appreciated.

When reading your thread and the interesting replies from everyone, another scenario entered my thoughts.

If someone you loved and cared about developed an interest in fountain pens, which two of your own pens would you give to them to express your feelings?

In that case, I might give the following two, as they're wonderfully fun for writing and would deepen someone else's love of fountain pen writing.

•  2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour F Nib

•  Monotone Yellow Gold 149 Bespoke Small Signature

After all, one would select the very best to give to anyone who one loved, therefore those two would represent my highest affection and regard.

Tom K.

#19 Fountainpencrazy

Fountainpencrazy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:02

How does the 1912's nib compare to that of the VP? I've been tempted to get a 1912 but want to write with it before I buy. The NYC boutique does not have one inked.

It depends on the definition of favourite.

My most used are two Pilot Vanishing Points due to their practicallity at work. One with an extra fine nib (smaller than EEF in MB) and a custom crisp italic.

But most cherished are my Sailor Gear II extra fine (not available off the shelf in that nib) and my 1912 Heritage with a custom fine italic.

The Swift is an interesting pen, I like the design and may just get one for my collection some day. I've realized that a Fine nib with a little bit of flex significantly improves my handwriting. It's funny how your least favorite pen has not become your favorite!

I have changed my perspective on what favourite pen means to me recently.

I used to prefer the smoothest nibs, and my favourite MB pen was my Swift (M). This thing glides, sails, ice-skates on paper. It was actually ticking 2 boxes; as the Swift was also one of my very first fountain pens. I love heavy pens, too.

Recently I have been trying to improve (actually rather change) my handwriting; which was very much needed by the way. Without it being proper nice calligraphy, I still wanted some to have up and down strokes. And sadly I have found my dear smoothest nibs a little less easy to control, and also a little more prone to skippin after a little flex.

My favourite pen right now is the Poe (M); it has a bit of tooth but it writes superbly; nice line variation, upstrokes and downstrokes, handles some flex very well, no skip. More than the actual feel on paper, I like what it makes my handwriting look like.

Funnily enough; the Poe is a pen I had not even really wanted. I came to buy a lot of 3 Writer’s pens (Tolstoy, Schiller and Poe) and out of the 3; the Poe is the one I was the least keen about – aesthetically speaking. Its looks still underwhelm me a bit, but what a great writer.

Nice! I need to add a red gold pen to my collection

I'd say my two favorite MB's are my 90 Years red gold FP and my LeGrand Sterling RB.

Tom, that's such a nice way to approach this thought experiment. Both the pens you listed are incredible and your loved ones will be greatly moved by the gesture. Why is the nib called a "Small Signature"? Do they make a "large signature" nib too?

~ Fountainpencrazy:

Thank you for your considerate understanding.

As all of the pens on my writing desk are excellent daily writers, any two which you'd grant me would be more than appreciated.

When reading your thread and the interesting replies from everyone, another scenario entered my thoughts.

If someone you loved and cared about developed an interest in fountain pens, which two of your own pens would you give to them to express your feelings?

In that case, I might give the following two, as they're wonderfully fun for writing and would deepen someone else's love of fountain pen writing.

•  2001 Patron of Art Marquise de Pompadour F Nib

•  Monotone Yellow Gold 149 Bespoke Small Signature

After all, one would select the very best to give to anyone who one loved, therefore those two would represent my highest affection and regard.

Tom K.

#20 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,238 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:43

Heritage 1912 OB nib.

Sponsored Content

|