Recommendations For A Softer Nib For Writing Instead Of Rigid Nibs?

IndigoBOB

Hello!

I've been using fountain pens for a littler over a year. I have mainly been using Jowo steel medium nibs, and I've tried all the sizes.

However, I recently tried my Lamy Vista-Medium, again, and though I don't much like writing with it for long sessions (my thumb doesn't bend that way very well, lol), I found that the nib wasn't as rigid, and that added softness, though small, had been something I had been searching for more of.

Now, the Lamy steel medium nib I'm talking about isn't great, but due to the added softness I could write more naturally in a way that was impeded by the rigidity of the my steel Jowo's. I could write faster, with better penmanship, and enjoy it in a way that reignited my enthusiasm for fountain, which waned from it's initial start.

And then I had an epiphany: I really like a good Jowo Medium, but I need a softer nib.

I've heard that is generally getting into Gold-nib-territory, but my inquiries have yielded contrary results to that generalized claim so I thought I'd ask the fountain pen community:

Can you recommend fountain pens (or nibs themselves) that have less rigid nibs, softer nibs, or soft nibs that you like for longer writing sessions?

I'm personally looking for something more on the affordable side, though I'm open to suggestions higher in price. Or if you'd like to share your experience related to this topic, please go ahead.

I'm not looking for flex.

I'm not looking for semi-flex;

No noodler's, nor FPR, nor anything with nibs that cheap, please. I'll try something inexpensive, I'm always looking for a great value, but I'm done buying cheap nibs and cheap pens,especially chinese pens.

I'm looking for pens/nibs that aren't rigid, but softer or simply soft, and good for longer writing sessions.

I'm not trying to have fun with flex, but I do want to get that more natural feel of writing I dabbled into with this epiphany.

Thank you!!

Regards,

BOBi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• A Smug Dill

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

If you want inexpensive and are okay with black cigar-shaped pens with gold trims (which I understand isn't for everyone), I'd suggest a Pilot Custom 74 with a soft nib. They have Soft Fine to Soft Broad. I love my Custom 74 and even though mine isn't a soft medium (just a plain old medium), I find that it is softer than other gold nibbed Japanese pens. I've heard that the pen can be had from $70 to less than a hundred on ebay. You don't just get a nice nib, but an overall great pen. 😊

I do not think any Jowo nib is really rigid though I would not term the soft .. check how you write, one thing it might just be just a matter of how you write. try other posture, remember not to exert force onto the nib .. it might just be that. But if you really find that you dearly need a softer nib try Pilot ( any model ) with their SM / SFM / SF ... also Platinum's

Pelikan M200/M205 will give you a soft nib. If you want just a nib to fit an existing pen, then a Bock titanium will do the trick.

The semi-flex that you are not looking for will also give you the softness you seek. :) Just write with them as you normally would.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

First off just having a gold nib does not mean it will be any softer then a steel nib. Also don't get caught up in the 18k is better then 14k trap.

I agree a Pelikan m20x or m120 Iconic Blue are nice and are steel nibs that are softer then many Pelikan gold nibs.

Pilot soft nibs like the suggested models of 74. I have only used the normal nibs on the 74/91/92, the pens are nice and even the standard gold nibs have a little softness to them, I would think you would like a SM or SFM. In my experience a Pilot FM will write about like a Jowo F, and a Pilot M in their gold nibs write much like a western M. The Pilot F is going at least a XF if not XXF compared to a western nib. They finer nibs also write drier then the M's.

I own a Pilot Falcon and it's a nice pen with a soft nib bordering on flex. It's can be used just fine for non flex writing with a bit of bounce to the experience. If you are used to Jowo sizes again maybe go M over F. The resin model only works with the smaller converters or a cartridge the more expensive metal version can use the larger Con-70 converter. When using the con-40 converter they come with these days you will be refilling the pen often.

I have not used the Pilot FA falcon nib that comes on some of the custom heritage models and it's said it flexes easier but railroads a lot. Since you don't need one that flexes easier I would stay away from that.

Someone suggested a Platinum SF, I would stay away from that. They tend to be very dry out of the box and they write extremely fine compared to what you are used to. I would stick with the Pilot Soft nibs.

First off just having a gold nib does not mean it will be any softer then a steel nib. Also don't get caught up in the 18k is better then 14k trap.

I agree a Pelikan m20x or m120 Iconic Blue are nice and are steel nibs that are softer then many Pelikan gold nibs.

Someone suggested a Platinum SF, I would stay away from that. They tend to be very dry out of the box and they write extremely fine compared to what you are used to. I would stick with the Pilot Soft nibs.

I like the Platinum SF, but it is quite dry, with a much finer nib than my Sailor EF, and Pelikan EF. The Platinum SF is a soft needle point. It is not a comfortable writer. The point is just too small.

I like the Platinum SF, but it is quite dry, with a much finer nib than my Sailor EF, and Pelikan EF. The Platinum SF is a soft needle point. It is not a comfortable writer. The point is just too small.

Exactly my experience which is why I sold mine. Since the OP is coming from Jowo steel nibs it would not be his best entry into a softer nib.

If you want inexpensive and are okay with black cigar-shaped pens with gold trims (which I understand isn't for everyone), I'd suggest a Pilot Custom 74 with a soft nib. They have Soft Fine to Soft Broad. I love my Custom 74 and even though mine isn't a soft medium (just a plain old medium), I find that it is softer than other gold nibbed Japanese pens. I've heard that the pen can be had from $70 to less than a hundred on ebay. You don't just get a nice nib, but an overall great pen.

Pilot Custom 74 sfm might please you :)

I think this is a great value when purchased over seas. Yah, that SFM keeps coming up with frank praise. This is pretty much at the top of my list even with just the stock gold nib. I might have to try that soft nib, too. I'll research more into that. Thank you!

I do not think any Jowo nib is really rigid though I would not term the soft .. check how you write, one thing it might just be just a matter of how you write. try other posture, remember not to exert force onto the nib .. it might just be that. But if you really find that you dearly need a softer nib try Pilot ( any model ) with their SM / SFM / SF ... also Platinum's

Most reviews I read refer to steel Jowo's as rigid and I'd have to concur, though they aren't the worst, and I still very highly recommend them. I reviewed Franklin-Christph's Jowo's with the utmost praise: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/338467-best-pen-under-100-best-pen-under-50-with-a-franklin-christoph-nib/

...but for me a softer nib feels like what I've been searching for.

I did fix my grip a while ago, especially with the help of the Eco-T and the Lamy Vista early on and intermittently, and it did help a lot, but I found that added softness I experienced with a less rigid nib felt so much more natural for me even in the "properly aligned grip". It felt like a more user friendly nib for me. I didn't even need much more softness to get to that realization.

I do appreciate your input and recommendation and I will say it does highlight Pilot nibs. I think their normal gold ones may be very good, but I think I'll end up trying a Soft gold nib from them as well.

Thank you for your consideration.

Pelikan M200/M205 will give you a soft nib. If you want just a nib to fit an existing pen, then a Bock titanium will do the trick.

The semi-flex that you are not looking for will also give you the softness you seek. :) Just write with them as you normally would.

Alright, alright, alright I'll but aside some of that staunchness, and I'll give the Semi Flex a chance then, but later down the road once I've explored regular and soft gold nibs..., but a descent one. I didn't like dealing with Noodler pens, and I'm not the biggest fan of FPR nibs. Thank you :) .

I think I'll definitely try a Bock Titanium :) . It would only cost me $40 and I already have pens I do believe it will fit in (a Ranga that it would be good for), and I'll do some more research on that. I'm curious about the smoothness. I've heard it feels a little different, but I haven't heard anything that turns me off yet.

And who knows, maybe it will give me a good idea of how flexy/springy I can go and maybe it will bridge me into semi-flex. I'm open minded, but my budget right now doesn't allow me too much exploration beyond what I know I need, and that includes something of quality, too. I would consider a Soft Gold nib before I try a semi-flex because I didn't like the Noodler's nor FPR Semi-Flex/"Flex" pens/nibs. They were fun pens for a little, but nothing I could write with for longer or even medium writing sessions, personally.

If you are open to vintage, consider a Parker Victory.

I got to say, Vintage is later on my list probably when I'm done exploring new pens because I prefer to test vintage pens out at a pen show, and I have to wait for those to come around. I just don't even know what models to consider and I'd have to wait for a pen show for that.

I think I'm going to explore the Pelikan m20x, Pilot gold's, and titanium nibs beforehand, but your recommendation does make me want to go to a pen show and explore that more. Thank you : )

Pilot soft nibs like the suggested models of 74. I have only used the normal nibs on the 74/91/92, the pens are nice and even the standard gold nibs have a little softness to them, I would think you would like a SM or SFM. In my experience a Pilot FM will write about like a Jowo F, and a Pilot M in their gold nibs write much like a western M. The Pilot F is going at least a XF if not XXF compared to a western nib. They finer nibs also write drier then the M's.

I own a Pilot Falcon and it's a nice pen with a soft nib bordering on flex. It's can be used just fine for non flex writing with a bit of bounce to the experience. If you are used to Jowo sizes again maybe go M over F. The resin model only works with the smaller converters or a cartridge the more expensive metal version can use the larger Con-70 converter. When using the con-40 converter they come with these days you will be refilling the pen often.

I have not used the Pilot FA falcon nib that comes on some of the custom heritage models and it's said it flexes easier but railroads a lot. Since you don't need one that flexes easier I would stay away from that.

Thank you for your input! I wouldn't have considered the falcon, but I will research that one more. I didn't know it came in soft nibs. I thought it was only with the Falcon nib.

That's wonderful to hear about the Pelikan Steel nibs. That M20x has been at the top of my list :rolleyes: . It's small, but I do like it. I tried one of Richard Binder's M200's on display very briefly and it felt very nice in the hand. It felt like I could take it anywhere with me and still write comfortably in the hand.

I have a feeling I'll be dabbling into the Pilot Mediums and SFM. I've seen a lot of positive mentioning of the SFM.

Yes, I was so disappointed when I recieved a con40 instead of a con50 I expected. What a downgrade : (

I'm happy I still have my con50 I use in my Prera-M. Honestly I'd probably syringe fill a pilot cartridge if I needed, because I had to syringe fill the con40 because it was so poor at filling up.

I don't know if I can go Japanese soft fine yet. I may consider that once I've established a good rotation with Mediums or Medium Fines but that's not definite nor probable. I don't think I'd find it comfortable either.

I appreciate your feedback.

Another vote for Pelikan 200/205 steel nibs. :thumbup:

That's a good emphasis. It's becoming a definite "will buy" in the near future. :drool:

+1 on Pelikan M2xx. Steve Leveen used to like to describe them as having paintbrush-soft nibs, but he was exaggerating like the most egregious of (m)ad men. They do have some spring and bounce if you push them, but I don't think I'd call it flex.

I'm going to have to get one of these :puddle: . The m20x was on my list, but I supposed the steel nib to be stiffer than the golds, so this is very nice to hear that they provide a more entry level pen with this capacity for softness.

The softest nib I have is probably my Decimo (Japanese steel nib version).

I tried the Decimo-gold, but it was too small for me. I would consider the Vanishing point, but I'd prefer a lighter pen.

But I think I will end up getting a Vanishing point down the road TBH.

I believe you'll enjoy the Schmidt #5 and the M200 nibs. I personally found the soft pilot nibs to be too 'mushy' for fast and long writing sessions. I personally favour hard nibs with slight feedback.

Keep trying new nibs. You never know what exactly you will like the most.

Just to throw one more suggestion in to the mix, which may cop some flak.

The Parker Sonnet gold nibs are actually quite soft, and can often be picked up very cheaply. Some people find Sonnets dry out, but if you get a good one they are excellent, and there are far more finishes/variants than the typical black/gold of Pilot's wonderful 74.

My personal experience of titanium nibs would lead me to stay far away. I've only got one, and that's a Stipula (by Bock), but it's shocking. There is virtually no ink flow at all, and when it does come through, it dumps a puddle on the page. I believe it is related to the nib material rather than the feed/tuning. The other consideration is the elasticity of titanium. Whilst definitely very soft, it isn't springy, and if you push even a little bit too hard, you'll bend the nib permanently. If you're coming from a rigid steel nib, you may find you're accustomed to a little too much pressure on the page and you may bust the titanium nib. YMMV.

Pilot discontinued the Con-50 and I don't miss it at all. The ones I had ink would stick inside the converter badly and also caused flow issues. The Con-40 flows a little better for me. None of these are as good as just refilling a cartridge. The Pilot cartridges for the parallel even have a metal ball inside them to help make sure ink does not stick.

The Pilot Falcon does not have the FA nib. Pilot actually lists the nibs on the Falcon as soft nibs. I have a Falcon nibs are SF, SM, and SB. They are not the same nibs as the 74's soft nibs.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.

I believe you'll enjoy the Schmidt #5 and the M200 nibs. I personally found the soft pilot nibs to be too 'mushy' for fast and long writing sessions. I personally favour hard nibs with slight feedback.

Keep trying new nibs. You never know what exactly you will like the most.

I appreciate your input.

I got this epiphany by using a steel nib, though softer than a Jowo, it was still steel.

I found that I could write faster more naturally, and that's what I really liked. I could cruise through a thought as quickly as it streamed and it made a huge difference. Just that tiny bit of change passed me through a threshold into that natural fast writing I had been looking for.

Before I could only write that fast with a pen using a Schmidt Easyflow9000, but I still haven't found the best pen for that refill nor one that can match a quality writing and effortlessness a fountain pen can to decrease hand fatigue over time.

I can write longer with my Pilot Prera-M with less hand fatigue, though not as fast as I could using a Schmidt easyflow 9000, but that less rigid Medium steel Lamy nib I tried could keep up relatively well. That's why I think a Pelikan m20x might be a sweet spot, because it's a wetter pen with some softness that isn't too springy.

I'm not interested in flexing, but I like some softness, I do. I think it will be safe to try a Pelikan M20x first, then a Regular Pilot Gold, but I would like to try that Pilot SFM. I know I'm a Medium nib user after much trial and error with Broads, stubs, Fines and EF's of different companies, that's just my sweet spot, but I wouldn't mind trying a finer nib if it were softer (Pilot SFM).

Just to throw one more suggestion in to the mix, which may cop some flak.

The Parker Sonnet gold nibs are actually quite soft, and can often be picked up very cheaply. Some people find Sonnets dry out, but if you get a good one they are excellent, and there are far more finishes/variants than the typical black/gold of Pilot's wonderful 74.

My personal experience of titanium nibs would lead me to stay far away. I've only got one, and that's a Stipula (by Bock), but it's shocking. There is virtually no ink flow at all, and when it does come through, it dumps a puddle on the page. I believe it is related to the nib material rather than the feed/tuning. The other consideration is the elasticity of titanium. Whilst definitely very soft, it isn't springy, and if you push even a little bit too hard, you'll bend the nib permanently. If you're coming from a rigid steel nib, you may find you're accustomed to a little too much pressure on the page and you may bust the titanium nib. YMMV.

I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not impressed with Parker fountain pens, but I'll keep it in mind, trust me.

-------------------

Yah, that was my concern with titanium. I can say that I will try a titanium nib at some time since it's fairly affordable and I think it will fit pens I already have, but I think I'd rather keep my eye on a Pelikan m20x first, then a non rigid gold nib, then a Pilot soft gold... as of know with my knowledge base.

I'm open to feedback on people's experience with titanium, just because I think it would be interesting, but the gist of what your saying is what I've heard people's feedback delineate around.

I haven't heard someone say they use Titanium nib on a regular basis, nor have I heard anyone say they use them for long writing sessions, yet.

Titanium nibs are soft

The two Bock titanium nibs I have are wonderfully soft, and they are both wet. They have never dumped ink on the page. These nibs are soft, not flex. If one pushes them they will bend. Same as any non-flex nib. These nibs write beautifully and exhibit subtle line variation when one writes normally, and especially if one writes quickly.

I have booked a slot with FPNibs for Pablo to grind a third titanium to a CI.

to add: These nibs do have a characteristic pencil-like feedback.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

@IndigoBOB, there are just so many subjective criteria you have included in your query, that I don't know how to begin. How broad a line (by objective measure!) do you want? What constitutes ‘affordable’? Where do you draw the distinction between soft and flexing, regardless of how someone else – including retailers and manufacturers – may classify a nib? What specifically about ‘flex’ do you want to avoid, irrespective of whether you are ‘interested in’ flex as a feature or selling point of a particular nib?

My favourite ‘EDC’ is a Pilot Vanishing Point (in matte black) with a black ion-plated 18K gold F nib, which at A$170 was quite affordable. Recently I bought one with the same nib for my fiancée to play with, and that only cost about A$140. (Writing sample over here showing the range of stroke widths I can get out of it, and it is obvious that the nib flexes somewhat when I push it to deliver the bolder strokes.)

I have the Platinum #3776 SF nibs both in 14K gold (without plating) and rhodium-plated, Pilot #5 14K SF nib, Pilot #5 rhodium-plated 14K SFM nib (and I don't get along well with it), Pilot #10 rhodium-plated FA nib (I don't like that one either), most variants (steel, 18K gold, rhodium-plated, black ion-plated) of Pilot Vanishing Point F nibs that I know of, Platinum #3776 14K F nib, Platinum President 18K F nib, Sailor ruthenium-plated 21K gold F nib, Waterman, Parker, Cross, and steel nibs by Faber-Castell, Rotring, Lamy, Monteverde, … but what is the essential information that you want to know about any nib or pen with regard to softness? Do you want the nib to offer any/much feedback, or prefer it to just glide along the page?

I'm looking for pens/nibs that aren't rigid, but softer or simply soft, and good for longer writing sessions.

What constitutes a longer writing session? I can write 500-600 words at a go with most of those pens if need be, except the Pilot SFM nib and the Pilot FA nib because they (bleep) me off, and I don't like the Faber-Castell steel F nib.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.