The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Replacing Nib In Noodler's Ahab

noodlers ahab

12 replies to this topic

#1 blackfinger

blackfinger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:05

One of my favorite pens is the Noodler's Ahab. I like how it is cheap and easy to service (it even smells good lol). I find the original nib quite decent, but I wonder if it is possible to replace it for something "fancier", like a gold nib. I believe it is a #6 nib, but different brands might have different shapes, so I am not sure which model would work. Did anyone try it? 

Edit: This is the nib I want to put int the Ahab, if I manage to remove it from the feed... 

Attached Images

• nib.png

Edited by blackfinger, 18 August 2018 - 15:38.

Sponsored Content

#2 theLorekeeper

theLorekeeper

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:30

I've never had a problem with any of the nibs I've put in my Ahab. Currently it has a Knox OBB fitted to it that I use for signatures on certain documents.

#3 blackfinger

blackfinger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2018 - 14:24

I've never had a problem with any of the nibs I've put in my Ahab. Currently it has a Knox OBB fitted to it that I use for signatures on certain documents.

My plan is to put a Montblanc spare nib in it. I managed to get hold of one cheap so hopefully I can get it to work :) 

#4 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2018 - 14:51

I believe both the Ahab and Konrad use #6 nibs. My Konrad has a Goulet branded Jowo in it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#5 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 14:38

Hi, blackfinger, welcome to FPN

Lots of useful information and we really don't bite. Are rather friendly, to tell the truth. Yes, the Ahab uses # 6 nibs. Your Montblanc spare nib should work OK. Would recommend calling up videos on YouTube on the the Ahab. Topics that may be relevant to you are heat-setting a nib in the Ahab, maintenance of the Ahab, and Nathan Tardif's talks on the Ahab. (Nathan is the designer and maker of the Ahabs.) Also, Robert Goulet of Goulet Pens (gouletpens.com) has a few videos on the Ahab on his site.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#6 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 18:04

... Also, Robert Goulet of Goulet Pens (gouletpens.com) has a few videos on the Ahab on his site.

It's Brian Goulet not Robert.

#7 blackfinger

blackfinger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 19:48

Lots of useful information and we really don't bite. Are rather friendly, to tell the truth. Yes, the Ahab uses # 6 nibs. Your Montblanc spare nib should work OK. Would recommend calling up videos on YouTube on the the Ahab. Topics that may be relevant to you are heat-setting a nib in the Ahab, maintenance of the Ahab, and Nathan Tardif's talks on the Ahab. (Nathan is the designer and maker of the Ahabs.) Also, Robert Goulet of Goulet Pens (gouletpens.com) has a few videos on the Ahab on his site.

Best of luck,

Thanks for the tips  :lol: Nathan sure did a great job with the Ahab. I think he won't mind the little Montblanc Frankenstein's monster that I am going to create.  

#8 calvin_0

calvin_0

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 10:44

Thanks for the tips  :lol: Nathan sure did a great job with the Ahab. I think he won't mind the little Montblanc Frankenstein's monster that I am going to create.  

he actually created all his pen with tinkering in mind.. so i'm pretty sure he wont mind...

#9 Randal6393

Randal6393

Love italic handwriting.

• Member - Gold

• 3,512 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:34

It's Brian Goulet not Robert.

Thanks, senior moments strike again.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

#10 Driften

Driften

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 17:20

Thanks, senior moments strike again.

Happens to me way too often as well....

#11 blackfinger

blackfinger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 19:18

Quick update: The operation was a success. I kept the original Ahab feed and the Montblanc nib fits perfectly. Gorgeous gold nib and it writes smootly  :D A little bit on the wet side but for the price I can't complain much. 

#12 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,824 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 19:39

Best of luck,

You take your niceties and go right to hell!

Kidding.

I do not know if that MB nib will fit (MB does not use standard nib sizes, but the ahab is meant to be accepting of many nibs due to its friction fit design) and if it does, you'll need to heat-set the feed with hot water.

But removing a noodlers nib/feed from any of their pens consists of pulling the nib and feed straight out.

You can adjust the wetness of the noodlers feed by sliding it further back relative to the nib. keep the nib where it is and push the feed further into the pen. this will reduce the contact patch to the nib slit and will dry the nib a bit.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#13 blackfinger

blackfinger

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2018 - 20:39

You take your niceties and go right to hell!

Kidding.

I do not know if that MB nib will fit (MB does not use standard nib sizes, but the ahab is meant to be accepting of many nibs due to its friction fit design) and if it does, you'll need to heat-set the feed with hot water.

But removing a noodlers nib/feed from any of their pens consists of pulling the nib and feed straight out.

You can adjust the wetness of the noodlers feed by sliding it further back relative to the nib. keep the nib where it is and push the feed further into the pen. this will reduce the contact patch to the nib slit and will dry the nib a bit.

Pushed the feed a little deeper (this sounded weird lol) and changed to a slightly more viscous ink and it works even better ^^ 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, ahab

Sponsored Content

|