Need An Eye Popping Turquoise

Sblakers

Hey there. Im looking for a wet eye popping turquoise that wont stain a demonstrator. Any suggestions ? Thanks!

Edited by Sblakers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sblakers

• zaddick

• A Smug Dill

• minddance

How do you define or test for “eye popping”?

Neither Pilot Iroshizuku ama-iro nor Lamy Limited Edition Pacific has stained my demonstrators, but I don't know whether they make your eyes “pop”. I'm quite partial to the appearance of De Atramentis scented Myrrhe ink, but then I haven't tried loading it into a demonstrator and leaving it there for long enough to see if it stains.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Ahh. Thank you for those suggestions. Eye popping for me would be something vibrant. Not washed out. Probably pretty saturated. I do like Ama Iro. I somehow lost my bottle might have to buy another. Im going to look into the lamy ink. Thats one company I have not tried.

Edited by Sblakers

The Lamy LE Pacific is just their standard turquoise renamed. It is a good turquoise, but I am not sure of staining. I like the Visconti turquoise but I think it stains.

Look into Waterman. I think they have a pretty safe turquoise with a different name.

Did you buy the Torelli demo? Just curious.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The Waterman color I was thinking of is Inspired Blue. It is not very eye popping though ad I went back to look at it.

The thing is... Blue greens seem to be very dependent on the pen, they have a tendency to come out a lot darker, to the point that you can't tell them apart, at least that's been my experience with Ama Iro, Kon Peki, Équinoxe 6 and Souten; it took me half a bottle of Ama Iro to finally find a pen that brings out the best of it, consistently: Lamy Studio with an EF nib.

Other blues seem to benefit from wetter pens: Tsuyu Kusa. I would suggest getting samples if at all possible, cleaning and drying the intended pen, and trying it out for at least couple of days to check out any evaporation issues, as well as sediment and staining.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

What demonstrator are you worried about? I have not had many issues with Pelikan and TWSBI demonstrators with any ink.

Montblanc UNICEF Blue should be safe, but Lamy Turquoise should look about the same and is cheeper. I have not have problems with Pilot Kon-Peki or Ama-Iro. I did have a little staining with Ku-Jaku but soaking in pen flush removed it all, but you might avoid that one.

Edited by Driften

The thing is... Blue greens seem to be very dependent on the pen, they have a tendency to come out a lot darker, to the point that you can't tell them apart, at least that's been my experience with Ama Iro, Kon Peki, Équinoxe 6 and Souten; it took me half a bottle of Ama Iro to finally find a pen that brings out the best of it, consistently: Lamy Studio with an EF nib.

Quite right depending on how wet the nib is I can make Kon Peki look as light as Ama Iro, or Ama Iro look as dark as Kon Peki. I matched the ink to the wetness of the pen to get the shade I wanted.

My first thought when someone says "turquoise" is Iroshizuku Kon Peki. However, Kon Peki is just "meh" to me- Diamine Asa Blue is a dead ringer for what I think Kon Peki SHOULD be. Asa Blue is deeper, richer- it's also farther away from "turquoise"....but only slightly. When I first saw Asa Blue I thought it WAS Kon Peki in a very wet pen. (On a side note, I find Asa Blue flows much better than Kon Peki too. It pains me to say it, because Iroshizuku inks usually set the standard for good behavior in my book, but Kon Peki runs dry and is a disappointment in that department. Maybe I got a bad bottle.)

R&K Blu Mare.

+1

Pelikan 4001 Turquoise is also a safe bet, and fairly vibrant if it's used in a wet writer.

✒️ :happyberet:

Skrip Turquoise gets my vote.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

No issues with Lamy Pacific in my TWSBI demos.(580/Eco)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

fpn_1534632447__turquoise_and_teal_inks_

fpn_1534632468__turquoise_inks_on_daiso_

fpn_1534632499__turquoise_inks_on_rhodia

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wow. Thank you guys for the great responses. I did get that torelli zaddick :). Man zaddick. You know my tatstes as well as I know my own hahah. That was such an awesome deduction

Edited by Sblakers

Well, after having bought maybe 5 pens from you over the years I think it is safe to say we have similar tastes. And I still missed out on that Torelli 45 demo you had the first time it was offered from Bryant years ago and then when you resold it.

I hope you enjoy this one even more! You know where to find me if you are ever looking to sell it in the future.

I might have beat you to it this time if I was not waiting for Brad to make me a 139 in a coral color.

Oh wow. When is that pen supposed to be done? That sounds like a beauty. Would love to see pics when you get It.

Speaking of pens in the works. I have a kawakubo thats supposed to be done soon. Hopefully! Keeping fingers crossed. This will be an interesting one. Im having an imperial custom made. Its going to be an eye dropper with a pilot #30 nib. As soon as I get it Im gonna review it.

Edited by Sblakers