I Need A New Bottle Of Iron Gall Ink. Any Suggestions?

Flaxmoore

I've used Diamine registrar's, and I liked it, however I'm willing to expand my horizons. I've heard good things about Akkerman, but I've never tried it. Any suggestions? My primary concern is permanence, so I'd like something that does have a fairly decent color shift.

Maintenance is not a concern. Iron Gall always goes through a Noodler's Ahab, and it gets a full cleaning once a month.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SchaumburgSwan

• Flaxmoore

• Lloyd

• inkstainedruth

If you want to keep to a traditional blue-black IG, Akkerman is a solid choice, a bit wetter than Diamine.

If you want to go a bit unconventional for IG, I like KWZ IG Green-Gold, in wet nib its pretty un-moveable when it comes to water especially once it's fully oxidized over a week or so. Color shift is awesome, from a light grass green to a murky green in a matter of seconds.

I also like KWZ IG Turquoise, IG Gummiberry, and IG Red #3 all similarly behaved as IG Green-Gold.

KWZ IG inks are a bit wetter than Diamine, ESSRI, and Akkerman, but still benefit from a wet nib as far as putting down enough ink to oxidize to the most permanent state possible of fountain pen friendly iron gall inks.

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Hi,

so you have already a good IG blue-black.

What about R&K Scabiosa, a very nice berry color, hard to describe.

The Platinum Classic IG series has some nice brownish inks, I must try them some day...

Best

Jens

Edited by SchaumburgSwan

.....................................................................................................

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145166@N02/albums

I have had excellent results with KWZ Iron Gall Blue-Black. Akkerman #10 is a bit drier, but also works well. I've used both of these for some time in my medical office.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Hi,

so you have already a good IG blue-black.

What about R&K Scabiosa, a very nice berry color, hard to describe.

The Platinum Classic IG series has some nice brownish inks, I must try them some day...

Best

Jens

I'm keeping to BB at the moment.

Since your main concern is permanence, be aware that some KWZ IG inks are low in IG and, as a result, are minimally water resistant. Also, most/all IG inks fade under UV. Have you considered either nanoparticle inks (Platinum, Sailor) or Noodlers Bulletproof series of inks?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I love Akkermann Ijzer-Galnoten. I way prefer it over Diamine Registrar's, which oxidized to a washy blue grey for me (great shading but blah otherwise). I've also liked most of the KWZI IG inks I've tried (wasn't wild about the color on some of them; some people really like IG Turquoise but it oxidizes a little dark for me -- although it has fabulous shading). If you want to stay traditional blue-black, look at KWZI IG Blue-Black or IG Blue #3. If you want something a little crazy color-wise, I like IG Violet #3 and IG Gummiberry; but I also like a couple of the Platinum Classic IG inks I've tried (Forest Black is rapidly becoming one of my favorite greens -- IG or otherwise; and Lavender Black is just interesting).

If you want one that stays a little bluer, look at R&K Salix (I'm not all that enamored of Scabiosa, and it's very dry).

Haven't tried it, but a lot of people also like ESSRI. I just don't think I'd be able to go through a 100 ml bottle....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Since your main concern is permanence, be aware that some KWZ IG inks are low in IG and, as a result, are minimally water resistant. Also, most/all IG inks fade under UV. Have you considered either nanoparticle inks (Platinum, Sailor) or Noodlers Bulletproof series of inks?

Water is the main concern. It doesn't need to last forever, but I don't want it to be something that can be easily changed.

Two inks and pens gurus from FPN, Bo Bo Olson and Sandy showed me the path to iron gall enlightenment: Ecclesiastical Stationery Supplies Registrar's Ink.

I don't remember who exactly defined it as "chameleonic" and "entertaining to watch it dry. We're literally watching paint dry" (I'm quoting from memory. Might've been Amberlee and inkstainedruth in there as well).

Well, let me tell I'm down to my third bottle of the stuff. This stuff is my drug.

The KWZ IG inks that have less IG component in them are their brown inks: Aztec Gold LIG, IG Gold, IG Mandarin, IG Orange...the others will hold up pretty well when exposed to water, if using a wet writer and allowed to oxidize...in other words not dunking it immediately in water!!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I love Akkermann Ijzer-Galnoten. I way prefer it over Diamine Registrar's, which oxidized to a washy blue grey for me (great shading but blah otherwise). ... I also like a couple of the Platinum Classic IG inks I've tried (Forest Black is rapidly becoming one of my favorite greens -- IG or otherwise; ...

Hi Ruth,

the Platinum Forest Black looks promising, but it seems it is one of those inks that are not easy to describe...

If I may ask: Is it as dark as Diamine Green-Black and is its tone warmer than Diamine Evergreen? Like Classic Green?

Thank You and best wishes

Jens

.....................................................................................................

Also, there are other VERY water resistant inks that are NOT Noodlers, IG, nor nano. For example, Pilot BlueBlack.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi Ruth,

the Platinum Forest Black looks promising, but it seems it is one of those inks that are not easy to describe...

If I may ask: Is it as dark as Diamine Green-Black and is its tone warmer than Diamine Evergreen? Like Classic Green?

Thank You and best wishes

Jens

Sorry, I don't have those so I can't do a comparison. Forest Black is yellow-toned, but darker and slightly murkier than R&K Alt-Goldgrun, if that's any help, and has a lot of shading. But it is a relatively slow drying ink (about 30 seconds on the poor quality absorbent paper in a Piccadilly sketchbook.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Hero 232 blue-black yet. It is a very well-behaved ink and can be found very inexpensively.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Sorry, I don't have those so I can't do a comparison. Forest Black is yellow-toned, but darker and slightly murkier than R&K Alt-Goldgrun, if that's any help, and has a lot of shading. But it is a relatively slow drying ink (about 30 seconds on the poor quality absorbent paper in a Piccadilly sketchbook.

Ruth, fine. The comparison with Alt-Goldgrün helps. Slow drying is no problem.

Platinum Forest Black and Sepia are on my wish list then. :-)

Yours

Jens

You may want to have a look at Platinum Khaki Black as well; similar "look" to Forest Black (which I love) but brown instead of green

You may want to have a look at Platinum Khaki Black as well; similar "look" to Forest Black (which I love) but brown instead of green

Yes, looks interesting, too. Hard to decide...

Best wishes

Jens