The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart Sac

conway stewart

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TwizzlerNibs

TwizzlerNibs

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 19:27

I recently won an auction containing a bunch of beautiful Conway Stewarts.

I'm in the process of getting them ready for the San Francisco pen show and sale in general.

I opened one up late last night and instead of the usual flakes felt something solid, I pulled gently and got a very fun little surprise.

Included also is a photo of the whole lot, mostly English celluloid, just for eye candy!

274Wcpn.jpgeu0vsWz.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 eachan

eachan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 20:19

The rubber in the original 50s and 60s Conway Stewart sacs generally seems to decay in that way.  I've found some old sacs stamped "Waterman" mummified in a similar way and the occasional Swan.

Regards,

Eachan

#3 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:48

A nice selection of pens you won. Well done.

That has happened to me a few times before (but never ever had one with the maker's name) and what always surprises me is just how heavy the solid sac seems.

#4 JohnUphill

JohnUphill

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:00

When you start to sell those, I hope one or two end up here in Southern Illinois.

#5 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:21

A nice selection of pens you won. Well done.

That has happened to me a few times before (but never ever had one with the maker's name) and what always surprises me is just how heavy the solid sac seems.

Until recently I had a box of NOS Conway Stewart ink sacs. They had lost most of their elasticity, but were not solidified like the one in the picture.

It was noticable that they were heavier (?thicker latex) than the modern replacement that is available.

#6 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:28

I've had one drop out in that sort of petrified condition and same colour too - better I suppose that way that when they disintegrate into a sticky mass and take ages to extract.

yes, great collection of C.S.  -  the herringbone patterns are always eye catchers.

Edited by PaulS, 15 August 2018 - 09:29.

#7 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,004 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 10:56

Congratulations, TwizzlerNibs. Some very nice pens in that lot.

Always been a fan of Conway Stewart pens, both for their appearance and their writing qualities.

I like the sac, had the same thing happen recently (different brand) - took me by surprise.

Good luck.

fpn_1533490603__waterman_sac_-_1.jpg

#8 chunya

chunya

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:00

#39 looks like a Swan celluloid from the 1920s .... were they 142s or something? It certainly is an interesting colour, I know they did coral and also orange (I think)

#9 PaulS

PaulS

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 14:49

agree that's a very nice pen, and looks early.             According to the John Brindle list it might be a Swan 172/51, which is described as 'Tangerine ringtop ladies  -  self-filler with two black bands near ringtop with two gold bands inlaid in black band'.              No idea of date but would imagine somewhere in the late 1920s or very early 1930s.           

Edited by PaulS, 15 August 2018 - 14:54.

#10 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 15:37

I've got a Waterman's sac which I replaced that hasn't fossilised. It is still pliable but got screwed up around the neck

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: conway stewart

Sponsored Content

|