The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Xxf Grind And Nib Coating Question (Fpnibs.com)

xxf black ruthenium grind coating fpnibs

10 replies to this topic

#1 Oshi

Oshi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 13:31

Hello all,

i bought a XXF, steel, black ruthnium coated nib from fpnibs and have some questions.

First of all, Pablo of fpnibs helped me alot via email, a very kind person. I dont want to disturb him too much with general nib querstions, thats why i post this here.

Are there different mentalities about how to grind XXF nibs? This one seems to be a narrowed XF nib, and tends to make broader horizontal lines when applying a little too much pressure.

Kind of like a architect nib (see fotos). If I would grind a XXF, I would try to narrow down the nib not from just 2 sides but 3 dimensional. But what do i know :D.

Is there a XXF grind guide, or other grinding services you can recommend? Its so expensive to try out all the special grindings :huh:

The second thing is the poor black ruthenium coating, I changed the nib twice carefully and its peeling off already. How is your experience with the fpnibs.com coatings?

Any recommendations?

WGTU5g0.jpg

QpoODoo.jpg

UL6ClQO.jpg

mpoaGCp.jpg

YJ4Mn0O.jpg

yF0w0iG.jpg

thank you :)

Edited by Oshi, 14 August 2018 - 13:35.

Sponsored Content

#2 Flaxmoore

Flaxmoore

Phys-ink-cian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 14:46

Sure looks like an xxf architect to me!

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

#3 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 16:57

You should contact FPNIBS directly with these pictures and comments. 

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,660 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 20:40

Coated nibs are well known for losing the coating or plating rapidly.

There are some Lamy black and gold nibs on their new Imporium, very pretty, but I'd have to listen to complaints over on the Lamy subsection for a couple of years before considering.

Rhodium coating or plating seems to be just fine.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

there is no spoon.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 21:01

Coated nibs are well known for losing the coating or plating rapidly.

Yup.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#6 steve50

steve50

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 22:39

The shape of the tipping looks very similar to Pilot F/EF. I wouldn't call it architect, for the same reason that my Pilot FA also writes a broad line at a very low angle but I don't call it architect. Compare your nib with this (taken from Tokyo pen shop quill): 

pilot-custom15f2.jpg

#7 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2018 - 23:29

Re the nib tipping, I think I agree with @steve50, you'll probably get an architect nib-like effect at low angles, but It *looks* ok to me.

Re ruthenium coating, two things:

(1) It *does* look like the coating is coming off too easily - you shouldn't be losing it from the top of the nib.

(2) Some nib coatings *do* seem to rub off more easily than others (probably depends on how the coating is applied) - I've had a similar experience with a ruthenium pen, though only at the point where it was friction fitted into the collar of the grip section.  This nib is probably better treated as a "set and forget" nib - install it in *one* pen, and try not to keep removing to clean.

I *would* be talking to Pablo, though - it looks to me like the coating may not have "set" properly - and the ruthenium you've lost from the top won't grow back  ;) ...

#8 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:23

this style of grinding is common in hand-tuned pens, especially vintage waterman stuff. I have an XXF super flex #6 from pablo, but i don't like coated gold nibs. Mine is toothy but super responsive

The problem with grinding it any more towards the point is that you are running such a thin layer of tipping you risk a chip if you bring it any narrower.

I've had two superfine grinds from pablo and couldn't be happier. 

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#9 Oshi

Oshi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2018 - 14:29

thx!

So you told me that this is a well known XXF grind method, but do you know any other?

Maybe you have some images or links for me, so i could try to clone this shape.

cheers

#10 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:00

Just rounding off that ball until it's smaller and smaller. common in cheaper XF japanese stuff like the preppy .2. But when you're hand-tuning a nib, you run the risk of even a HAIR too strong a bite chipping off the entire tipping material or grinding so far in that you pass the tipping and hit the gold, so you tend to take soft cuts in from the side to make sure there's still some tipping where pen meets paper.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#11 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 05:28

Sure looks like an xxf architect to me!

I think that grind looks fairly standard for an XXF nib. An architect grind wouldn't have such a gradual widening up the tine edges

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xxf, black ruthenium, grind, coating, fpnibs

Sponsored Content

|