Oddball Emblem

Aislingean

I have the chance to purchase three old pens tomorrow
I have only seen the attached picture but talking to the sellers agent leads me to believe these were produced in the 1960s
I think we have here a 24 and a matching demi pen and ballpoint 32 & 38 set
But note the circular emblem!
Is this the emblem that sparked the dispute with Sheaffer and was then discontinued?
cheers
Dave

fpn_1534252361__38747485_189534969742528

P.S. I have no idea what to offer as to value and would appreciate any help from the enthusiasts on here as I am not a MB person normally

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aislingean

• Pen Nut

• kandarp

• benbot517

Top Posters In This Topic

The pens are now identified as a 22 and a 31 and the ballpen is a promotional item stamped 'Kaefer
The circle emblem is a little rare but all have some brassing and will need work and I still have no clue on what to offer when I see them in person!
Cheers
Dave

I believe it was made for markets where the traditional montblanc emblem, which could be seen as resembling a star of David, may work against it. I know a triangle has also been used in this context. No idea what it's worth, but it's neat!

"Oh deer."

I've never seen one like this before. It's very cool and unique. Found an old post that talks about this.

Edited by Fountainpencrazy

Interesting logo.

I'd go in with a lowball offer and work up from there.

I cannot tell which pen is which, from your description, but the FP would be the only one I'd be interested in.

So, I'd say £30 for the lot - and see what happens ...

Have your maximum price fixed in your mind and do not be tempted to go above it.

The logo is indeed interesting, but it's not going to add a heap of value - and these aren't expensive models.

Good luck.

Interesting logo.

I'd go in with a lowball offer and work up from there.

I cannot tell which pen is which, from your description, but the FP would be the only one I'd be interested in.

So, I'd say £30 for the lot - and see what happens ...

Have your maximum price fixed in your mind and do not be tempted to go above it.

The logo is indeed interesting, but it's not going to add a heap of value - and these aren't expensive models.

Good luck.

The single cap rings are the 31 & 38 pen and ballpoint the double cap ring is the 22

I was thinking along similar lines to your suggestion and as there is also a solid silver Cross Townsend and a nice Conway Stewart 58 on offer I think my pension this week is spoken for!

I've seen these round 'emblems' on MBs before. I do not own one, however. As I understand the history, MB introduced a round emblem in lieu of the normal MB star for countries sensitive to the six sided star. MB was challenged in court because Sheaffer has a trademark on a white circle emblem. Then MB went to a triangle emblem. I have a 146 and 149 with triangle emblem, and have seen the triangle on other 1970's vintage pens.

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

There was a very recent thread about a Montblanc pen with the triangle emblem, and there have been others in the past. I'm not sure about other threads about these circular emblems though.

Slightly off topic here but the 'sensitive to the six sided star' statement got me thinking of a film I watched a long time ago about a plane hi jack situation when one of the passengers was singled out because of the Montblanc pen they were carrying was spotted by one of the hijackers and mistaken for the star of David.

Anyone any ideas of the film ? Seem to recall it being 'based' on actual events.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Was it 7 Days in Entebbe based on the hijacking of Air France Flight 139. Have not seen the movie, but loved reading about the real live rescue mission.

Couldn't find an article for this though.

Found it. Looks like this happened during the hijacking of Lufthansa Flight 181. The feature film Mogadischu is loosely based on this. Here is an article that seems to support this.

Slightly off topic here but the 'sensitive to the six sided star' statement got me thinking of a film I watched a long time ago about a plane hi jack situation when one of the passengers was singled out because of the Montblanc pen they were carrying was spotted by one of the hijackers and mistaken for the star of David.

Anyone any ideas of the film ? Seem to recall it being 'based' on actual events.

Edited by Fountainpencrazy

You also occasionally find caps with only a faint outline of the emblem cut into the celluloid, and I have a wartime one that has no emblem at all

Oh well!
They sold to an aquaintance for nearly twice what I was willing to pay. [£78]
The 22 was well brassed and the piston was barely moving so a full clean , service and polish was needed.
The 31 was also in need of the same plus the piston was detached from screw rod.
The ball pen was functional but needing a clean and polish and I was wary of the name stamped into the body so not for me this time!
So if you see a circle emblem 31 for sale in Scotland in the near future you will know where it originated
cheers
Dave

Edited by Aislingean

Was it 7 Days in Entebbe based on the hijacking of Air France Flight 139. Have not seen the movie, but loved reading about the real live rescue mission.

Couldn't find an article for this though.

Found it. Looks like this happened during the hijacking of Lufthansa Flight 181. The feature film Mogadischu is loosely based on this. Here is an article that seems to support this.

Thats it ! Thanks for posting this :-)

Copied from the article Already the white star of the filler brand Montblanc could be enough, as well as the symbol of the watch factory Junghans. It was thanks to Schumann's persuasion that this did not happen

It would appear that the emblem on the cap did indeed cause a major issue for its carrier.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......