Thinking About Spray Painting A Nib..

calvin_0

I'm thinking about spraying some silver nib with some transparent arcrylic paint, to make a shiny colored nib.

I'm just going do a one or two layer of light coat because i still want the silver to shine through, so the nib would look chrome-like.. maybe a gloss coat at the end to make it extra shiny...

So I wonder, has anyone done that? what do I need to watch for while doing this? would this rust the nib?

thanks.

edit: o.k, it appear that alot of people think i'm looking for a shiny silver nib.. i'm not.. i'm looking for a way to turn a silver nib into a chrome red nib... to match moonman M2 that have a red band...

qP6bE0Y.jpg

as in right now, I no longer thinks about spray painting, but still looking for a way to color the nib, without using paint.

however, I been thinking about using alcohol ink to dye the metal instead...

https://jewelrymakingjournal.com/coloring-metal-with-alcohol-ink-tutorial/

Update: I decide to do the smart things and get it from https://www.fpnibs.com/standard/205-9038-jowo-size-5-steel-nib-unit-m-tip.html#/

thanks everyone.

Edited by calvin_0

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin_0

• JakobS

• Chrissy

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a ton of problems with this. First things that spring to mind are that you will gum up the slit in the nib, impeding ink flow. It will also be very difficult to prevent paint/lacquer from getting onto the underside, which will also affect ink flow.

Adding layers of paint or lacquer will also thicken the nib, which may make fitting the nib back into the pen problematic.

I'm sure others will think of more problems ...

Have you thought about simply polishing the nib? Simichrome and Autosol are two metal polishes that are popular for such work.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

There's a ton of problems with this. First things that spring to mind are that you will gum up the slit in the nib, impeding ink flow. It will also be very difficult to prevent paint/lacquer from getting onto the underside, which will also affect ink flow.

Adding layers of paint or lacquer will also thicken the nib, which may make fitting the nib back into the pen problematic.

I'm sure others will think of more problems ...

Have you thought about simply polishing the nib? Simichrome and Autosol are two metal polishes that are popular for such work.

I concur, dont do it!

but polish dont give you color.. my objective isnt to make a shiny nib, but a colored shiny nib..

cause i'm thinking about making a red nib for moonman M2 since that pen have red band..

if simply painting isnt recommended.. do anyone have an idea how to make a red nib?

It won't work for several reasons. The first one being it will increase the thickness of the nib so it won't even fit into your pen any more, and it might crack the section when you try to put it in.

Then the coating will just come off and look awful because there will be some patches left on the nib, and some bits of whatever you used transferred to whatever ink bottles you've been using. So they will get into your pen and block the feed.

Even if it might stay on for a short time the nib is likely to rust underneath it as it gets ink between the coating and the nib that you can't clean off.

If it might have ever been possible, a nib manufacturer would have already come up with it as an idea.

Why not buy a pen that comes with a shiny silver nib or one that has a black nib?

Early on in my pen acquisition, I bought a Platinum Plaisir that had the nib "match" the barrel color. After a couple of years of use -- and a lot of ink color changes -- the coating on the nib started to flake off. I was worried not only about the coating gumming up the nib, but also flaking off into ink bottles and possibly causing contamination.

THAT's why it's a bad idea.... :angry:

I actually held off on buying the Dark Lilac Safari at first -- for fear the same thing would happen with the black nib -- until someone assured me that her black nib had been in constant use for several years with no issues.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

FPnibs can lacquer red (to be chosen in the options provided) any tip size JOWO nib in size 5 or 6. (Link is to a medium #6 nib as an example) Might be worth an email to see if you increase the shine of it.....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

If chrome plated nibs were good, there would be them.

Some of the stainless steals had and or have chrome in them for better ink resistance than duller plain steel.

But that isn't old fashioned auto chrome. B) Should have a sunshade, in case the sun makes it gleam blindingly.

(The first pen I bought on Ebay, was a Chrome Waterman pen....bought for cheap and the name even I as 'nooble' knew. Got rid of that finger print trap, very soon there after, it was the first pen I sold. It was irritating, how the fingerprints showed up on the chrome surface.

Different from a nib of course.

Later you could look at Rhodium plated nibs....they could/should be brighter than stainless steal.

Took a quick look at some of my more modern 14&18 k Pelikan nibs....and they don't look brighter than steel. Could be I don't polish them..........never really thought about polishing them.

Gold and silverish was good enough, very silverish and gold might be the wrong impression....like monotone gold nibs just fine.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It should be possible to anodize titanium nibs to a variety of colors.

I also agree that lacquer might work, but you'll have to be very careful doing it to avoid filling the fork.

FPnibs can lacquer red (to be chosen in the options provided) any tip size JOWO nib in size 5 or 6. (Link is to a medium #6 nib as an example) Might be worth an email to see if you increase the shine of it.....

thanks.. i'll get it from them...

It might be possible but I recommend you read This thread

It might be possible but I recommend you read This thread

Lacquering and Ruthenium plating are two different processes. But, it's always good to ask what to expect with such processes and what would be covered as a defect if it were to start chipping off. Also, I agree with a few posters on that thread that regularly removing the nib on and off a feed will increase the wear on the plating beyond keeping it always on the pen....

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

double post...first in 11 years..

Edited by JakobS

I see that you've decided against it. For that sake of sharing information, I will still post this in case anyone wants the information.

As we have sold the Bock Black Lacquered nibs for nearly 2 years now, I have a vast amount of experience trouble shooting them. Adding this type of treatment to a nib inevitably causes problems, even when done at the manufacturer, to their specs. The black nibs we purchased all have the following problems: Decreased ink flow, lacquer chipping, increased instances of babies bottom, the need to strip the lacquer from the tipping prior to using, lacquer buildup in the slit, and higher instances of near unrepairable scratchiness necessitating nib grinding. They are universally drier, to the point where some dry inks will hardly flow at all. I do not recommend them, once we have sold through our current stock, we will no longer be carrying them.

We have had several customers use anodize on their titanium nibs. We do not recommend this because if done improperly it can cause damage to the tipping. It will void the warranty, we will not replace anodized titanium nibs. But when done properly it does not cause any structural issues and simply adds a nice blue or purple tint to the nib.

We have tested Nitride on stainless and it ruins nibs. The process causes the tipping to completely melt off the nibs making them unusable.

We have yet to try black oxide on stainless, but may do that in the future, as well as fiber laser heat coloring on stainless or titanium.