Need A Tip For Opening A Stuck Ink Bottle

eharriett

I went to open a "new" bottle of ink I'd never opened before. It is one of the old Sheaffer Bottles. Not too old, early 2000's. Last edition of the inks made before they moved to Eastern Europe. Red box with gold coloring.

Bought it unopened. And I just tried opening it for the first time. I can't. I've never had this problem before and I'd opened some really tough bottles. I tried using one of the rubber grip things and that didn't work either.

In other types of bottles with this problem, I'd just whack it on the side to loosen it. But in this case I'm afraid of damaging the seal more than I would just from opening it anyway.

What do you do in cases like this? How do you open your old ink bottles?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• DasKaltblut

• kestrel

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe run the lid under the tap and see if any color comes out. I'm not sure it'd be that stuck if it wasn't leaking somehow.

I have the same problem, same ink. It isn't leaking - there is a foam gasket (I know from the bottle I could open). I have tried everything - it won't budge. I also have a sailor gentle yama-dori that is stuck too. I just look at the two bottles.

Lever type jar openers are a good last ditch solution. Make sure there is a nice, soft pad between any hard parts on the opener and your lid our you might dent the threads. This one works for me:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/prep-gadgets-accessories/easi-twist-jar-opener/12d?productId=10023943

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mirro-9636000A-Cushion-Coated-Canning-Cookware/dp/B000AS1KMO

You can also try running hot water across the lid. The heat might expand the lid enough to free it.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Lever type jar openers are a good last ditch solution. Make sure there is a nice, soft pad between any hard parts on the opener and your lid our you might dent the threads. This one works for me:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/prep-gadgets-accessories/easi-twist-jar-opener/12d?productId=10023943

or this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mirro-9636000A-Cushion-Coated-Canning-Cookware/dp/B000AS1KMO

You can also try running hot water across the lid. The heat might expand the lid enough to free it.

I've tried all of these. No luck. The plastic jar opener you mention first was the worst. It just rotated regardless of how tight I held it.

VERY hot but not boiling water for about 10 seconds did the trick. Cap looks ok and bottle did not appear to break. And I’m not seeing anything in the ink. I think all is well.

The VERY post (2 above this one) is good. Hold the lid only (upside down) in almost boiling water 10-20 sec and then turn it back (right side up) and place it up to the lid (now up top) in cold (but not freezing) water. That expands the lid and then decreases the glass enough to weaken the contact.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

VERY hot but not boiling water for about 10 seconds did the trick. Cap looks ok and bottle did not appear to break. And I’m not seeing anything in the ink. I think all is well.

Did you just put the cap in hot water or the whole bottle?

Did you just put the cap in hot water or the whole bottle?

Cap and neck. I kept the label dry.

A small strap wrench will do the trick, just make sure you get one thats small enough and give it a test run on something unbreakable (ex, metal plumbing fixture) first.