Montblanc Red Fox (Petit Prince Le Series)

visvamitra

Montblanc regularly intoduces new and pricey LE/SE inks.

I'd like to try more of them but because of high cost of a bottle, it's not possible.

As I like orange inks, I decided to try this one.

Bottle

fpn_1534142069__petitprince_b1.jpg

fpn_1534142077__petitprince_b2.jpg

50 ml glass bottle that comes in a stylish packaging. It looks nice on the shelf. It's solid and ergonomic.

Ink splash

fpn_1534141271__petitprince_is.jpg

The ink has average saturation, it feels watery and lacks lubrication. I like the washed out color, but, truth be told, it's nothing special, especially for the price.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1534141304__petitprince_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1534141516__petitprince_f_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1534141530__petitprince_f_4.jpg

Fabriano, Aurora 88, M

fpn_1534141392__petitprince_f_1.jpg

fpn_1534141500__petitprince_f_2.jpg

Tomoe River, Aurora 88, medium nib

fpn_1534141581__petitprince_tr_1.jpg

fpn_1534141607__petitprince_tr_2.jpg

fpn_1534141622__petitprince_tr_3.jpg

Maruman, Jinhao x750, M

fpn_1534141548__petitprince_m1_1.jpg

fpn_1534141566__petitprince_m1_2.jpg

Copy paper, Jinhao 992, fine nib

fpn_1534141334__petitprince_cp_1.jpg

fpn_1534141350__petitprince_cp_2.jpg

Tsubame, TWSBI 580, stub 1.1

Fabriano, Jinhao 992. fine nib

Water resistance

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bexinthecity247

• Patrick L

• Uncial

• Chrissy

Thanks for your review Vis. I currently have Red Fox in my old Waterman W5 and I do agree it feels dry-ish and lacks lubrication, but mine does write darker than yours on the page and has about average saturation for a MB ink; at least from this particular pen.

Here I tested it in a Hobonichi Techo (Tomoegawa paper).

post-100486-0-83074500-1534143714_thumb.jpeg

Verba volant, scripta manent

I think that the reason for theses differences is ink residue inside pens. It's actually very difficult to completely remove previous ink from inside a pen. I remember trying to completely remove previous ink from one of my pens and the clean tap water that I put into it was no longer crystal clear after a few days. I continued this for some weeks and there was still some residue. Monteverde sells a Fountain pen flush solution "guaranteed to remove the old oil stubborn ink "... You may also try to use a brand new converter every time but it may be quite expensive.

Thanks for showing us this ink. I think I can skip this one, and go for a couple of the latest J.Herbin inks instead.

I bought the five latest J.Herbin inks and they are all excellent. I recommend buying them.

I'm somewhat disappointed by the review (not in the way it was written etc) just that it highlights that the ink is a little dull looking :/ as I really wanted this one.I thought it would be a more vibrant orangy red.

What are the best UK places to get J.Herbin inks btw? I've only seen two colours on cult pens.

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

I'm somewhat disappointed by the review (not in the way it was written etc) just that it highlights that the ink is a little dull looking :/ as I really wanted this one.I thought it would be a more vibrant orangy red.

What are the best UK places to get J.Herbin inks btw? I've only seen two colours on cult pens.

You did not look well. Cult pens sells all J.Herbin inks. In fact I purchased the five new Herbin inks from Cult Pens.

I think that the reason for theses differences is ink residue inside pens. It's actually very difficult to completely remove previous ink from inside a pen. I remember trying to completely remove previous ink from one of my pens and the clean tap water that I put into it was no longer crystal clear after a few days. I continued this for some weeks and there was still some residue. Monteverde sells a Fountain pen flush solution "guaranteed to remove the old oil stubborn ink "... You may also try to use a brand new converter every time but it may be quite expensive.

I’ve used Red Fox in several pens including one brand new previously uninked pen (TWSBI Eco) and it looked the same, or very similar, as in my W5. So ink residue alone doesn’t account for the differences.....

Verba volant, scripta manent

This is one I will definitely pass on. Not remotely what I would call "red". Although I concede that it *might* be fox-colored....

Thanks for the review though (and my wallet thanks you even more).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think it's rather pretty. It looks like it has some fun elements, like in the splash (the brown-grey center with all the orange at the edges might translate to nice haloing in juicy nibs) and the shading on the TR sample. Not cool enough to make me pay Montblanc LE prices for a bottle, especially after hearing that it's dry, but still... Also, I like the orangey color in Vis' review much more than the brownish color that Migo posted. They look like completely different inks.

Hilarious, Torstar! ‘You big dummy!’

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

You did not look well. Cult pens sells all J.Herbin inks. In fact I purchased the five new Herbin inks from Cult Pens.

I was looking for these ones - the bigger https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/HR57665/herbin-1798-inks-collection of which there are only 2 colours.

I didn't realise there was a different shaped bottle for J Herbin. I was hoping there were more of the 1798 style ones as I like the bottles.

Although - now I do see the other smaller looking bottles (are they glass? it's a little hard to tell but they look it), I fear I may not be able to restrain myself and will end up spending far more than I was intending. XD

Edited by Bexinthecity247

'Someone shoot me please.'

~the delectable Louisa Durrell~

I really liked this ink and regretted not buying more of it. It's a perfect match for the colour of the fox in the book and I liked the shading of it from the 'wateriness'. In a double broad it is quite nice and shades well. Flow seems fine to me but not massively lubricated, but didn't feel overly dry. In a fine nib it looks a bit darker - not quite sure how that works - but still has decent shading. If it comes into my local B&M store I think I will grab more if it.

Hilarious, Torstar! ‘You big dummy!’

He brought a boxer on for a skit during his variety show, the boxer misjudged and knocked Redd down with a jab to the jaw, Redd came back up in two seconds wielding a knife he always carried in his velvet tux...

Great ink, if I see it I will think about purchasing... (just to stay on topic) :D