Does Anyone Know What Paper This Is?

LukeBoyd

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what paper brand this this. The paper is standard 8x11.5" college ruled binder paper. It appears rather plain like any cheap office paper but it's surprisingly great quality. The packaging is ordinary plastic wrap and unfortunately the label insert is missing. I can get sheening to occur on the paper with inks such as J Herbin Emerald of Chivor and the red sheen from Diamine majestic blue. It's very tolerant to bleed through, feathering and the margin and ruling lines are thin and crisp; the margin being a red-orange color and the horizontal lines blue. The holes are cleanly punched and overall the paper gives the impression of being good quality. The grain when held to the light has more detailed features than the splotchy and fuzzy looking grain of, for example, mead.

I hope any of this helps. I'll be more than happy to provide any additional observations if need be. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.post-144701-0-98302700-1534133496_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-78193400-1534133563_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-10628700-1534133753_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-28848300-1534134037_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-75844700-1534133784_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LukeBoyd

• Parker51

• goodpens

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what paper brand this this. The paper is standard 8x11.5" college ruled binder paper. It appears rather plain like any cheap office paper but it's surprisingly great quality. The packaging is ordinary plastic wrap and unfortunately the label insert is missing. I can get sheening to occur on the paper with inks such as J Herbin Emerald of Chivor and the red sheen from Diamine majestic blue. It's very tolerant to bleed through, feathering and the margin and ruling lines are thin and crisp; the margin being a red-orange color and the horizontal lines blue. The holes are cleanly punched and overall the paper gives the impression of being good quality. The grain when held to the light has more detailed features than the splotchy and fuzzy looking grain of, for example, mead.

No. But Staples' house brand paper, made in Brazil (pay attention--they'll have mixed batches with identical packaging, but the other countries' papers have very different qualities) is very good. In my experience, using the notebooks, it has all of the qualities you describe above. I believe the loose-leaf is likely the same. It may be worth picking up a package to try/compare.

Edited by goodpens

I'm not exactly sure how to reply on a phone but I greatly appreciate the help. As goodpens has mentioned, I will have to check Staples house brand paper with a source other than the U.S., preferably Brazilian it seems. I'm actually quite surprised since I've had bad experience with staples branded spiral notebooks but I'm sure, and hope, that that must be the country difference you mentioned.

Crossing my fingers until then.

Great thanks,

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

After the back to school rush I managed to stop by a Staples and picked up a pack of their wide ruled Brazilian paper to play with. It's inarguably great paper with many of the characteristics of my unknown paper and I'm grateful for the lead but I still favor the mystery paper and will continue my search.

You may notice that the ruling lines are much thicker/bolder on the Staples paper. I personally don't enjoy that but it's definitely an improvement from mead for example.

Thanks again,

Luke

post-144701-0-68022600-1535420240_thumb.jpg

I believe it may be Roaring Springs loose leaf notebook paper. They make a slightly thicker, more fountain pen friendly notebook paper.

• 3 weeks later...

It's worth noting that the paper in question doesn't feel any thicker than any other paper, if not thinner. I've done more performance testing with it using the Noodler's Nib Creeper flex pen with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses ink. The results are rather surprising. I'll compare it to Staples brand paper (made in Brazil).

The first two images are the Staples paper with clearly noticeable feathering on the front and bleeding on the back

The mystery paper, shown in the second two images, has absolutely no feathering nor bleeding whatsoever.

A colleague had paper very similar to this in appearance but was slightly larger in dimension and performed better than the staples brand. I have yet to hear what paper it is but am still in desperate search for any leads that would help identify the unknown paper.

Until then, thank you for your continued support.

post-144701-0-23138600-1537335291_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-98584400-1537335319_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-69075600-1537335485_thumb.jpg

post-144701-0-21159000-1537335527_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...
Have you tried contacting the original seller to see if they have the answer? It's quite peculiar that a company producing such decent-quality paper would not proudly display their brand name...

By the way, how's the quality of the Mead paper when you use fountain pen ink on it? Thanks!