Lamy 2000 Non-Existent Sweet Spot Issue

ajengmd

My 2000 is a 'B' nib and I find that it has a sweet spot. Not surprising given its stubbish quality.

I find it quite easy to write with even if I rotate the pen slightly when writing.

A lovely pen overall with a snap cap that makes it perfect for quick use!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• 1nkulus

• ajengmd

• pajaro

My 2000 is a 'B' nib and I find that it has a sweet spot. Not surprising given its stubbish quality.

I find it quite easy to write with even if I rotate the pen slightly when writing.

A lovely pen overall with a snap cap that makes it perfect for quick use!

Glad you are enjoying it. There is a stubbish feel on the 'B'.

A lovely classic, indeed. :thumbup:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

This topic is strange. Of course pens have sweet spots.

No they don't!

Didn't you read above that they don't have "sweet spots"!

It's the User holding it wrong. Or it's the nature of all fountain pens. Or its the hoods fault. Or it's a myth, because "my pen" works just fine.

[This place is a hoot ...... dinner and a floor show.]

No they don't!

Didn't you read above that they don't have "sweet spots"!

It's the User holding it wrong. Or it's the nature of all fountain pens. Or its the hoods fault. Or it's a myth, because "my pen" works just fine.

[This place is a hoot ...... dinner and a floor show.]

I thought the slit would have to touch the paper in order to convey ink.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I thought the slit would have to touch the paper in order to convey ink.

Initially... but once the ink "column" (between paper and nib) is formed, surface tension could allow some limited rotation before it breaks.

My Lamy 2000 has an M nib and it definitely has a sweet spot that I hate, I barely use this pen because of that. I have tried it with lots of different inks in many different papers, to no avail: the sweet spot is there. I really want to like this pen, but I can't. It looks great, the piston is great, it takes a lot of ink, but I can't get past that sweet spot, I can't get used to it. I'm only keeping my pen because it was a gift and it has sentimental value, otherwise I would already have sold it.

Edited by KyleKatarn

My Lamy 2000 has an M nib and it definitely has a sweet spot that I hate, I barely use this pen because of that. I have tried it with lots of different inks in many different papers, to no avail: the sweet spot is there. I really want to like this pen, but I can't. It looks great, the piston is great, it takes a lot of ink, but I can't get past that sweet spot, I can't get used to it. I'm only keeping my pen because it was a gift and it has sentimental value, otherwise I would already have sold it.

Try holding it on the cap clutch nubs. That centers it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Since it has sentimental value, I highly recommend sending it to a nibmeister. A simple nib "smoothing" by an expert may be all that's needed, or you could have it reground to something more to your liking. It's absolutely worth it to make such an otherwise amazing pen useful.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Since it has sentimental value, I highly recommend sending it to a nibmeister. A simple nib "smoothing" by an expert may be all that's needed, or you could have it reground to something more to your liking. It's absolutely worth it to make such an otherwise amazing pen useful.

Thanks Phil, I think that is a very good counsel, that makes perfect sense. I will try it on my next trip to Italy, because here in Portugal, where I live, I don't know anyone who could do that (I could try it myself, but I don't want to take any risks with a pen of this value...).

Edited by KyleKatarn

Thanks Phil, I think that is a very good counsel, that makes perfect sense. I will try it on my next trip to Italy, because here in Portugal, where I live, I don't know anyone who could do that (I could try it myself, but I don't want to take any risks with a pen of this value...).

You might want to send a PM to FPN member piscov who is also in Portugal. He restores vintage pens and is Montblanc's go to guy for all repairs of vintage Montblanc pens in Portugal. I've been delighted with every nib and pen I've bought from him and am sure he could recommend a good nibmeister to you.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

You might want to send a PM to FPN member piscov who is also in Portugal. He restores vintage pens and is Montblanc's go to guy for all repairs of vintage Montblanc pens in Portugal. I've been delighted with every nib and pen I've bought from him and am sure he could recommend a good nibmeister to you.

Wow, fantastic, I had no idea. Thank you very much!

There is a sweet spot of sorts, but only on the B, BB, OB, and OBB (maybe OM). They are ground kind of squarish, like most German nibs of those widths made before 1965. Before then, wider nibs were not ball-tipped; thats how the Kugel nibs were ground, ie. KM, KOBB etc. And of course oblique nibs were not ball-tipped.

I owned a Montblanc 252 that had an OF, or oblique fine nib. Even that had to be used at a specific angle, but it had really nice line variation for a fine nib.

ETA: the gold nibs that Kaweco nibs sells now are also ground squarish in the wider widths.

Edited by wastelanded
"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 1 month later...

As a lefty I was nervous about this sweet spot. Luckily for me I live not too far from a fountain pen shop and when I dropped in they were more than happy to let me try it. As I stood and cast it across the page it was incredible to write with, giddy at the thought of owning it I snapped it up and have recently started writing with it since Christmas.

As it turns out my writing angle (at which I hold my pen) is ever so slightly varied when standing and sitting. As such I have found the sweet spot on the Lamy 2000. It is not an uncontrollable thing, I can still write with the pen and enjoy writing with it more than some other troubling nibs. But it has robbed the smoothness of the Lamy2000 from me. Now I am looking around to see if I can have a custom grind put on it to round out the tip and make it more left friendly.

Just my experience.

There is a sweet spot of sorts, but only on the B, BB, OB, and OBB (maybe OM).

How can you make such declarative statements?

I can assure you that both my two Medium nibbed 2000s have sweet spots.

How can you make such declarative statements?

I can assure you that both my two Medium nibbed 2000s have sweet spots.

Thanks for the update! My mediums did not have sweet spots.

Feel better now?

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

My medium doesn't have a well-defined sweet spot, or at least one I have been able to find. I am wondering if I should send it back and have it fixed so that it isn't so easy to write with.