Lamy 2000 Non-Existent Sweet Spot Issue

ajengmd

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting after lurking around a lot the past few months. I'm a bit of an impulsive person so things (fountain pens) escalated quickly from a single Pilot Metropolitan to another one, a kakuno, some failed attempts with Jinhaos which then prompted me to stay in the course of reputable brands and upgrading to gold nib. I had some time to decide between the Pilot Custom 74 and Lamy 2000. But just because of logistics (I live in Indonesia) and the only one locally available in similar retail price as in the US is the Pilot Custom 74. And I LOVE IT. BUT. I still could not get my mind of getting a Lamy 2000, with a rip-off price of USD 300 locally here, I suspect because of the import fee that's somehow is higher for european goods. So I finally got around the import fee by getting one from a Japanese seller for USD 145 on ebay and customs did not open the package or put any fee on it so I'm super happy.

So as the Lamy 2000 was flying in from Japan, I was doing all my studying and was preparing to face that sweet spot issue. I was worried because I rolled my nib quite a bit when writing, and after few months with the Custom 74 I knew it took some getting used to once you get a more particular nib. I even thought the Custom 74 DO have a sweet spot. So my Lamy 2000 arrived..

and I was surprised. It's an EF nib but no sweet spot issue whatsoever. It flows right out of the nib every single time at every single rotation and I thought this is impossible. So I even rolled it around some more but the nib performed uniformly 360 degrees, upstrokes, downstrokes, at every angle. So I thought this must be the cheap paper soaking up all the ink. But it's behaving the same on other papers.

It's mind-boggling really. So what I really want to ask you guys here, is if anyone, like me, has had no issue of sweet spot, even with rolling or angling the pen?

Thanks! And greetings from Indonesia,

Ajeng

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• 1nkulus

• ajengmd

• pajaro

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

My first 2000 was very stingy with ink and hard to use but after I sold it and got another I have had a much better experience with little of no sweet spot issue. Hope you get many years of great service out of yours!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Awesome welcome... Thanks a lot

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

My first 2000 was very stingy with ink and hard to use but after I sold it and got another I have had a much better experience with little of no sweet spot issue. Hope you get many years of great service out of yours!

Awesome welcome :D that gave me a big smile. Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I had a laugh at that too. Lots of talk about trouble with the sweet spot. Didn't really concern me because I make frequent use of stubs & italics, so position sensitivity is something I'm used to. Got a fine, no sweet spot. Scratchy as all hell if you try to write on the reverse, but that's all.

My EF 2000s have no real issue with the sweet spot. Another member suggested using the feel of the metal cap clutch plates to orient the nib. Following this recommendation, I have no trouble orienting the nib anyway.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Your Lamy2000 sounds like a rollerball and not a fountain pen to me. Mine with a Fine nib does not behave like this.

Congrats! you have gotten yourself a rollerball :)

Edited by minddance

I have an EF 2000 and my experience mirrors yours perfectly. Zero issues with the perceived "sweet spot." It writes regardless of how carefully I align the nib to page, though instinctively it's usually fairly aligned as my Japanese nibs are more picky.

Your Lamy2000 sounds like a rollerball and not a fountain pen to me. Mine with a Fine nib does not behave like this.

Congrats! you have gotten yourself a rollerball :)

It does feel like one though now that you mentioned it!

I have an EF 2000 and my experience mirrors yours perfectly. Zero issues with the perceived "sweet spot." It writes regardless of how carefully I align the nib to page, though instinctively it's usually fairly aligned as my Japanese nibs are more picky.

YES! I totally agree that you said your japanese nibs are more picky. What is this...? Do the japanese just have the ultra amazing soft motor skill (I'm thinking of intense origami training early in life as part of their culture here... obviously something I don't have) so that they're used to all this subtle movements that for mere mortals like us are tougher to gauge??????????

My M Lamy 2000 was horrible out of the box. It was scratchy and felt like writing with sandpaper. I spent a lot of time writing with it because a) I still liked it and B) people said to wait and write with it, that it would improve over time. Sure enough, the pen smoothened out and is the smoothest pen I currently own :)

I never found any problems with sweet spots, but I have heard many accounts from other fpn users that it.

Lamy 2000 was my first gold nib pen and since i like my pens to be smooth with little feedback i decided to go B. whether u call it sweet spot or some other name the thing is the nib is grinded in a bit different way to other Bs. Its more like a stub. Ill say its one of those pens that needs getting used to, but once u get used to it no other pen will give u the 'feel' a lamy 2000 gives u.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

Lamy 2000 was my first gold nib pen and since i like my pens to be smooth with little feedback i decided to go B. whether u call it sweet spot or some other name the thing is the nib is grinded in a bit different way to other Bs. Its more like a stub. Ill say its one of those pens that needs getting used to, but once u get used to it no other pen will give u the 'feel' a lamy 2000 gives u.

Are you getting any visable like variation?

Add lightness and simplicate.

some variation in the thickness if I rotate more than 45 degrees, but never to the extent that the flow stops completely

only very small line variation and my handwriting is pretty small too.

There's no such thing as perfect writing, just like there's no such thing as perfect despair : Haruki Murakami

No sweet spot issues on any of the 2K's I own or have handled, yet.

:W2FPN:

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

So perhaps the sweet spot issue is a myth after all? Or is it a matter of "unusually thinner line", instead of a nib that doesn't work at all when rotated too much?

My Lamy 2000 BROAD nib is not round. It is grounded more like a stub (With minimal line variation though). The exact same thing was the case with 3 other Lamy 2000 BROAD nibs i have written with in the past. So YES. Lamy 2000 B has a small sweet spot and it is very sensitive to hand rotation.

I suppose that this is not the case with EF and F nibs though. So this is why all this confusion!

Fantastic... seems like this is the end of this conundrum

Thanks for sharing this!

My Lamy 2000 BROAD nib is not round. It is grounded more like a stub (With minimal line variation though). The exact same thing was the case with 3 other Lamy 2000 BROAD nibs i have written with in the past. So YES. Lamy 2000 B has a small sweet spot and it is very sensitive to hand rotation.

I suppose that this is not the case with EF and F nibs though. So this is why all this confusion!

It is a similar case with the 2K OBB that I used last week.

The EF, F, M seem to be exempt but then, there would be some who would disagree?

Is this a genuine QC issue or just a case of how some people hold the pen?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.