For Service -- Boutique Or Shipping It?

Shannon

Now that I have a pen that needs servicing, is it best to drop it off at a boutique? Or send it in? I won't have access to a MB boutique until November....

Thanks, all!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chrissy

• chunya

• Shannon

• nishantdr83

Top Posters In This Topic

I always send to a boutique. It is better being their responsibility ;-)

Especially if you can drop it into them and don't need to take any risk of mailing it out. :thumbup:

As mentioned in your other post I tend to always post directly to Hamburg, and the turnaround is amazingly quick. But I very rarely go anywhere near a town with a Boutique or Authorised dealer, otherwise I'd take it to one. Dropping it off will save on the postage, once dropped off they become responsible in case of loss, and you pay the Boutique/AD dealer on collection as opposed to (this applies in the UK but not sure if it also applies in the States) having to have the cash to pay the UPS driver.

As the others say, if you're not in a hurry then wait until November, it'll soon be with us.

Boutique if it can be dropped off in person. You can also preauthorize work up to a certain amount without having to wait for a quote.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

As mentioned in your other post I tend to always post directly to Hamburg, and the turnaround is amazingly quick. But I very rarely go anywhere near a town with a Boutique or Authorised dealer, otherwise I'd take it to one. Dropping it off will save on the postage, once dropped off they become responsible in case of loss, and you pay the Boutique/AD dealer on collection as opposed to (this applies in the UK but not sure if it also applies in the States) having to have the cash to pay the UPS driver.

As the others say, if you're not in a hurry then wait until November, it'll soon be with us.

:yikes: You should never need to post directly to Hamburg. A} It's far too expensive and totally unnecessary and unsafe and B} Even Montblanc boutiques don't post directly to Hamburg. They have a collection van that calls every day and picks items up from them so that everything is sent absolutely 100% secure and safe, and they accept full responsibility for all items entrusted to them. It's far safer to post an individual item to a specific boutique that is the nearest one to you, or to your favourite one, or even to the UK Head Office if you don't have a favourite boutique. You can get Royal Mail insurance up to the full item value that way.

Even posting it is still taking a risk. You would only get money back up to the amount you originally paid for the item, without a big argument. From a boutique, at the very least you will get a brand new pen, whatever it's value.

:yikes: You should never need to post directly to Hamburg. A} It's far too expensive and totally unnecessary and B} Even Montblanc boutiques don't post directly to Hamburg. They have a collection van that calls every day and picks items up from them so that everything is sent absolutely secure and safe and they accept full responsibility for all items entrusted to them. It's far safer to post an individual item to a specific boutique that is the nearest one to you, or your favourite one, or even the UK Head Office if you don't have a favourite boutique. You can get Royal Mail insurance up to the full item value that way.

Hi Chrissy,

I mentioned in Shannon's first post when she won the 146 that I often wait until I have a couple to send together and this reduces the postage cost per item. In fact, fully insured via Royal Mail the cost is really quite reasonable, it's even a lot cheaper than driving to the nearest Authorised Dealer and paying the extortionate parking charges, not to mention the time. Sending one or two pens to Hamburg will cost roughly £11, posting to the nearest/any boutique/AD will cost almost £8 with the same insurance, but then I'll still have to go there to collect them on their return, or pay for them to be posted back to me, so it actually makes more sense for me to send straight to Hamburg.

Also, and I'm sure that there is a term for it, but I really dislike large towns or cities, so avoid them at all cost. :rolleyes: So, for me, neither too expensive nor unnecessary. :)

Hi Chrissy,

I mentioned in Shannon's first post when she won the 146 that I often wait until I have a couple to send together and this reduces the postage cost per item. In fact, fully insured via Royal Mail the cost is really quite reasonable, it's even a lot cheaper than driving to the nearest Authorised Dealer and paying the extortionate parking charges, not to mention the time. Sending one or two pens to Hamburg will cost roughly £11, posting to the nearest/any boutique/AD will cost almost £8 with the same insurance, but then I'll still have to go there to collect them on their return, or pay for them to be posted back to me, so it actually makes more sense for me to send straight to Hamburg.

Also, and I'm sure that there is a term for it, but I really dislike large towns or cities, so avoid them at all cost. :rolleyes: So, for me, neither too expensive nor unnecessary. :)

There is no compensation higher than £250 via Royal Mail for International Tracked and Signed. I would never do it and much prefer to send my pens fully insured via Royal Mail Special Delivery to my favourite London boutique. I have never been charged postage for returning my pens to me. Even if I was I would still always post within the UK. For me personally, sending them to Hamburg is an unnecessary risk that I will never need to take.

I always send to a boutique. It is better being their responsibility ;-)

A transfer of responsibility is always a good thing!

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

There is no compensation higher than £250 via Royal Mail for International Tracked and Signed. I would never do it and much prefer to send my pens fully insured via Royal Mail Special Delivery to my favourite London boutique. I have never been charged postage for returning my pens to me. Even if I was I would still always post within the UK. For me personally, sending them to Hamburg is an unnecessary risk that I will never need to take.

Hi Chrissy,

When bidding at an Auction if I know that an MB has issues, or don't know about the condition, then I try to never ever pay much more than £120 and a bit more if its boxed (all in with commission) for a 146 (I was the under bidder against Shannon when she bought this pen) , and so if I post two together then I'm pretty much covered by RM International Tracked & Signed for. On the return journey when their value is enhanced then their value is covered by MB.

I'm in no way suggesting that Shannon do the same, I actually encourage her to wait until November, and I really do see all the benefits of taking it to an Authorised Dealer/Boutique for the majority of people, but for me it doesn't work. My nearest AD is a fair old distance from where I live, and I did take my pens there when I used to commute there. After retiring I did take a pen in to be sent to Hamburg and when they phoned me on its return I asked if they could post it to me, which they were happy to do, but they did charge me for Special Delivery; possibly a Boutique would meet the cost, but it would be unfair for an Independent to pick up the bill.

So, for me it works :)

Hi Chrissy,

When bidding at an Auction if I know that an MB has issues, or don't know about the condition, then I try to never ever pay much more than £120 and a bit more if its boxed (all in with commission) for a 146 (I was the under bidder against Shannon when she bought this pen) , and so if I post two together then I'm pretty much covered by RM International Tracked & Signed for. On the return journey when their value is enhanced then their value is covered by MB.

I'm in no way suggesting that Shannon do the same, I actually encourage her to wait until November, and I really do see all the benefits of taking it to an Authorised Dealer/Boutique for the majority of people, but for me it doesn't work. My nearest AD is a fair old distance from where I live, and I did take my pens there when I used to commute there. After retiring I did take a pen in to be sent to Hamburg and when they phoned me on its return I asked if they could post it to me, which they were happy to do, but they did charge me for Special Delivery; possibly a Boutique would meet the cost, but it would be unfair for an Independent to pick up the bill.

So, for me it works :)

I've dealt with several London boutiques who haven't charged me but I see what you mean about an independent retailer. I usually deal with Harrods or Canary Wharf and they have never charged me any postage for anything. Buying ink, sending me my pens back etc. Even if I didn't send to a boutique, I would still send directly to UK HQ.