The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

For Service -- Boutique Or Shipping It?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 17:26

Now that I have a pen that needs servicing, is it best to drop it off at a boutique?  Or send it in?  I won't have access to a MB boutique until November....  

Thanks, all!

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

Sponsored Content

#2 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2018 - 18:35

If you have access to a local boutique then it's safest to drop it in. If not you can ship it to Texas.

flying-letter-exc.png

#3 nishant

nishant

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:23

I always send to a boutique. It is better being their responsibility ;-)

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:55

Especially if you can drop it into them and don't need to take any risk of mailing it out.  :thumbup:

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 chunya

chunya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:04

As mentioned in your other post I tend to always post directly to Hamburg, and the turnaround is amazingly quick. But I very rarely go anywhere near a town with a Boutique or Authorised dealer, otherwise I'd take it to one. Dropping it off will save on the postage, once dropped off they become responsible in case of loss, and you pay the Boutique/AD dealer on collection as opposed to (this applies in the UK but not sure if it also applies in the States) having to have the cash to pay the UPS driver.

As the others say, if you're not in a hurry then wait until November, it'll soon be with us.

#6 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:10

Boutique if it can be dropped off in person. You can also preauthorize work up to a certain amount without having to wait for a quote.

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:37

As mentioned in your other post I tend to always post directly to Hamburg, and the turnaround is amazingly quick. But I very rarely go anywhere near a town with a Boutique or Authorised dealer, otherwise I'd take it to one. Dropping it off will save on the postage, once dropped off they become responsible in case of loss, and you pay the Boutique/AD dealer on collection as opposed to (this applies in the UK but not sure if it also applies in the States) having to have the cash to pay the UPS driver.

As the others say, if you're not in a hurry then wait until November, it'll soon be with us.

:yikes:  You should never need to post directly to Hamburg. A} It's far too expensive and totally unnecessary and unsafe and B} Even Montblanc boutiques don't post directly to Hamburg. They have a collection van that calls every day and picks items up from them so that everything is sent absolutely 100% secure and safe, and they accept full responsibility for all items entrusted to them. It's far safer to post an individual item to a specific boutique that is the nearest one to you, or to your favourite one, or even to the UK Head Office if you don't have a favourite boutique. You can get Royal Mail insurance up to the full item value that way.

Even posting it is still taking a risk. You would only get money back up to the amount you originally paid for the item, without a big argument. From a boutique, at the very least you will get a brand new pen, whatever it's value.

flying-letter-exc.png

#8 chunya

chunya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:10

:yikes:  You should never need to post directly to Hamburg. A} It's far too expensive and totally unnecessary and B} Even Montblanc boutiques don't post directly to Hamburg. They have a collection van that calls every day and picks items up from them so that everything is sent absolutely secure and safe and they accept full responsibility for all items entrusted to them. It's far safer to post an individual item to a specific boutique that is the nearest one to you, or your favourite one, or even the UK Head Office if you don't have a favourite boutique. You can get Royal Mail insurance up to the full item value that way.

Hi Chrissy,

I mentioned in Shannon's first post when she won the 146 that I often wait until I have a couple to send together and this reduces the postage cost per item. In fact, fully insured via Royal Mail the cost is really quite reasonable, it's even a lot cheaper than driving to the nearest Authorised Dealer and paying the extortionate parking charges, not to mention the time. Sending one or two pens to Hamburg will cost roughly £11, posting to the nearest/any boutique/AD will cost almost £8 with the same insurance, but then I'll still have to go there to collect them on their return, or pay for them to be posted back to me, so it actually makes more sense for me to send straight to Hamburg.

Also, and I'm sure that there is a term for it, but I really dislike large towns or cities, so avoid them at all cost.   :rolleyes: So, for me, neither too expensive nor unnecessary.  :) 

#9 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 13:22

I have mailed pens to Hamburg and to the Canadian service centre and they always arrived.

#10 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 15:16

Hi Chrissy,

I mentioned in Shannon's first post when she won the 146 that I often wait until I have a couple to send together and this reduces the postage cost per item. In fact, fully insured via Royal Mail the cost is really quite reasonable, it's even a lot cheaper than driving to the nearest Authorised Dealer and paying the extortionate parking charges, not to mention the time. Sending one or two pens to Hamburg will cost roughly £11, posting to the nearest/any boutique/AD will cost almost £8 with the same insurance, but then I'll still have to go there to collect them on their return, or pay for them to be posted back to me, so it actually makes more sense for me to send straight to Hamburg.

Also, and I'm sure that there is a term for it, but I really dislike large towns or cities, so avoid them at all cost.   :rolleyes: So, for me, neither too expensive nor unnecessary.  :)

There is no compensation higher than £250 via Royal Mail for International Tracked and Signed. I would never do it and much prefer to send my pens fully insured via Royal Mail Special Delivery to my favourite London boutique. I have never been charged postage for returning my pens to me. Even if I was I would still always post within the UK. For me personally, sending them to Hamburg is an unnecessary risk that I will never need to take.

flying-letter-exc.png

#11 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 15:26

A transfer of responsibility is always a good thing!

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

#12 chunya

chunya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 15:52

There is no compensation higher than £250 via Royal Mail for International Tracked and Signed. I would never do it and much prefer to send my pens fully insured via Royal Mail Special Delivery to my favourite London boutique. I have never been charged postage for returning my pens to me. Even if I was I would still always post within the UK. For me personally, sending them to Hamburg is an unnecessary risk that I will never need to take.

Hi Chrissy,

When bidding at an Auction if I know that an MB has issues, or don't know about the condition, then I try to never ever pay much more than £120 and a bit more if its boxed (all in with commission) for a 146 (I was the under bidder against Shannon when she bought this pen) , and so if I post two together then I'm pretty much covered by RM International Tracked & Signed for. On the return journey when their value is enhanced then their value is covered by MB.

I'm in no way suggesting that Shannon do the same, I actually encourage her to wait until November, and I really do see all the benefits of taking it to an Authorised Dealer/Boutique for the majority of people, but for me it doesn't work. My nearest AD is a fair old distance from where I live, and I did take my pens there when I used to commute there. After retiring I did take a pen in to be sent to Hamburg and when they phoned me on its return I asked if they could post it to me, which they were happy to do, but they did charge me for Special Delivery; possibly a Boutique would meet the cost, but it would be unfair for an Independent to pick up the bill.

So, for me it works :)

#13 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 14,158 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 20:51

Hi Chrissy,

When bidding at an Auction if I know that an MB has issues, or don't know about the condition, then I try to never ever pay much more than £120 and a bit more if its boxed (all in with commission) for a 146 (I was the under bidder against Shannon when she bought this pen) , and so if I post two together then I'm pretty much covered by RM International Tracked & Signed for. On the return journey when their value is enhanced then their value is covered by MB.

I'm in no way suggesting that Shannon do the same, I actually encourage her to wait until November, and I really do see all the benefits of taking it to an Authorised Dealer/Boutique for the majority of people, but for me it doesn't work. My nearest AD is a fair old distance from where I live, and I did take my pens there when I used to commute there. After retiring I did take a pen in to be sent to Hamburg and when they phoned me on its return I asked if they could post it to me, which they were happy to do, but they did charge me for Special Delivery; possibly a Boutique would meet the cost, but it would be unfair for an Independent to pick up the bill.

So, for me it works :)

I've dealt with several London boutiques who haven't charged me but I see what you mean about an independent retailer. I usually deal with Harrods or Canary Wharf and they have never charged me any postage for anything. Buying ink, sending me my pens back etc. Even if I didn't send to a boutique, I would still send directly to UK HQ.

flying-letter-exc.png

Sponsored Content

|