Sad, Sad, Sad

Shannon

I took a chance on an auction thinking I'd purchased a 147 and ended up with a 146. Quite fine with me, but the pen clearly had some issues with the piston. Just rec'd it today -- ugh. There are cracks in the barrel just underneath the brass band at the end of the pen. It's very clear that ink was left in the pen and everything is just stuck. Then someone got a little heavy handed trying to unscrew the piston and torqued the barrel. Guess it's going to MB for servicing.

The good news is that's an absolutely lovely writer with a beautiful nib. I think it's worth dropping it off at a boutique.

fpn_1533921462__20180810_111421.jpg

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shannon

• Michael R.

• meiers

• Chrissy

Sorry to hear :-(

Before sending it to MB for service you might want to consider having the barrel replaced by a third party repair person with a period-correct part to keep the pen original for its age.

Montblanc most likely will replace everything except for the nib with new, modern 146 pen parts (including the ink feed!).

Costs should be similar.

Cheers and good luck

Michael

PS:

I dont think it should be too difficult to find a matching, period correct spare barrel.

Just to let you know: I have such barrel in my parts box but it has a few issues:

- it is used and shows a few marks (= needs a good polish)

- the grey ink window is not completely clear anymore and shows a few scratches

- there is at least one internal crack/crazing/scratch inside the ink window but it appears to be internally only as you are not able to feel from the outside at all.

I have not tested this barrel and it is not for someome looking for an visually perfect pen but might be suitable to complete a functional pen.

Let me know in case you are interested.

Cheers from Germany :-)

Edited by Michael R.

Had something similar happen to me. At least there was no misunderstanding on the model itself ... I knew I was bidding on a 146.

The pen was advertised as nearly pristine ... rriiight.

There were some warning signs I should have paid attention to:

• Grainy pictures that -- to say the least -- didn't help much in determining the pristine-ness of the pen
  • Seller stating that he's not taking returns because all the evil buyers that mess up his pens and then claim they came in such a state

Barrel had those same hairline cracks radiating from right under the filling knob, although they don't seem to affect filling.

Also had some age-old ink dried up in it that took a lot of soaking to get out.

But ... the nib is a beautiful rose tinted gold, good writer and he threw in 3 used but almost full MB bottles. Very old school ones that you can't buy anymore, having been made in West Germany.

I paid $200 for the whole package, so I let it slide. Eventually I really should send it off for barrel replacement.

-k

PS:

I dont think it should be too difficult to find a matching, period correct spare barrel.

Just to let you know: I have such barrel in my parts box but it has a few issues:

- it is used and shows a few marks (= needs a good polish)

- the grey ink window is not completely clear anymore and shows a few scratches

- there is at least one internal crack/crazing/scratch inside the ink window but it appears to be internally only as you are not able to feel from the outside at all.

I have not tested this barrel and it is not for someome looking for an visually perfect pen but might be suitable to complete a functional pen.

Let me know in case you are interested.

Cheers from Germany :-)

I'll definitely look into having a third party repair the pen -- good idea, thanks!

It's not a visually perfect pen, and your barrel sounds like it would work, but I have zero idea how to replace it, so I wouldn't want to attempt it myself. Plus, the piston seems just about glued shut. It screws out about one turn (about a millimeter) and stops. Thus, the source of the cracks, no doubt.

I got a pretty decent deal on the pen -- about $170, and I was ready for it to have some issues, so I'm still feeling OK about the purchase.

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

I think you can send it to Montblanc and ask them to not replace the nib and feed if you prefer to keep the old feed as well as the nib.

I think you can send it to Montblanc and ask them to not replace the nib and feed if you prefer to keep the old feed as well as the nib.

I think I'd like to keep this nib -- it's really quite nice.

What are the pros & cons of replacing the feed?

Might be the perfect pen for any adventurous soul to practice taking it apart and putting it back together as the barrel seems to be damaged already anyways ;-)

I think I'd like to keep this nib -- it's really quite nice.

What are the pros & cons of replacing the feed?

You will always keep the nib as it would be very costly to replace. Personally I see no advantage at all in keeping an old feed, but others seem to like the idea.

For me a brand new 146 pen with that nib in it is a very good option and that's what Montblanc would provide for a level 2 service. If you happen to want a brand new cap, to go with the new section, feed, cone and barrel, the existing cap would need to be "lost" though. B)

OOps! That darn cap just got gone! ;)

Is it better to drop the pen at a boutique (I'll be near one in November) or mail it to the repair center in Texas?

To have a "like new" functioning pen, there ist nothing wrong with Montblanc servicing the pen by replacing parts.

In case you prefer to keep "historically" correct pens with period correct parts you might not like that idea.

Some also prefer the old style ebonite feeds much over the new plastic feeds. Characteristics and feel are different.

Cheers

Michael

They will replace the feed in the US, no matter how nicely you ask. I have tried multiple times with all sorts of polite and kind reasosn. Every time = new feed over the last few years.

Not much downside to a plastic feed except it can't he heat set. But since it would come from service the pen would already be properly adjusted. For about $100 you can get a new 146 with your old nib. Maybe your old clip.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

They will replace the feed in the US, no matter how nicely you ask. I have tried multiple times with all sorts of polite and kind reasosn. Every time = new feed over the last few years.

Not much downside to a plastic feed except it can't he heat set. But since it would come from service the pen would already be properly adjusted. For about $100 you can get a new 146 with your old nib. Maybe your old clip.

Texas seems to have it's own rules but the end result sounds like a bargain price. :)

The good news is that I've been able to ease the piston back to life and give it a decent flush. The cracks don't seem to affect the use, so I'll probably hold on to it and use it as is until I can drop it off in November.

HUGE thanks to you all! I'm always so impressed and grateful for your knowledge and willingness to help.

The good news is that I've been able to ease the piston back to life and give it a decent flush. The cracks don't seem to affect the use, so I'll probably hold on to it and use it as is until I can drop it off in November.

HUGE thanks to you all! I'm always so impressed and grateful for your knowledge and willingness to help.

I don't see how dropping it off is better then sending it to Texas when you don't have a local store. They are just going to send it to Texas for you.

Excellent. If it had been lying unused for years, the simple act of putting moisture into it can work wonders.

I had a similar 146 from this period, which had two barrel cracks at the piston end. They looked alarming, but were stable. I used the pen for years, without issue.(It was eventually replaced during a service, otherwise I'd still be using it now.)

Might be the perfect pen for any adventurous soul to practice taking it apart and putting it back together as the barrel seems to be damaged already anyways ;-)

This is good advice.

If you do send it in for a service, pull out the feed before you send it in. It won't make any difference to Montblanc. (I also keep the piston seals - they're impossible spares to find, otherwise!)

If I thought MB made use of these old feeds etc, I wouldn't suggest this.

But, I'm pretty sure they end up in a bin and a new unit is fitted around the nib.

Nice pen. Congratulations.

Enjoy

Edited by CS388

If you do send it in for a service, pull out the feed before you send it in. It won't make any difference to Montblanc. (I also keep the piston seals - they're impossible spares to find, otherwise!)

If I thought MB made use of these old feeds etc, I wouldn't suggest this.

But, I'm pretty sure they end up in a bin and a new unit is fitted around the nib.

Nice pen. Congratulations.

Enjoy

As a non-professional repairer, I personally wouldn't risk damaging the nib by trying to pull out a feed that I wouldn't want.

Sorry it didn't turn out as we all hoped. But at least you were prepared for the worst and you know the options open to you.

I don't see a problem with Montblanc retaining the old nib and feed I've sent similarly aged pens to them and in return received a virtually brand new pen, with all remaining of the original pen being the cap cone, clip, nib and feed.

Good luck.

As a non-professional repairer, I personally wouldn't risk damaging the nib by trying to pull out a feed that I wouldn't want.

Exactly why I don't repair ANYTHING! I have no skills and I'm OK with that. :D

Sorry it didn't turn out as we all hoped. But at least you were prepared for the worst and you know the options open to you.

I don't see a problem with Montblanc retaining the old nib and feed I've sent similarly aged pens to them and in return received a virtually brand new pen, with all remaining of the original pen being the cap cone, clip, nib and feed.

Good luck.

Thanks.

I'm not unhappy with the purchase. Honestly, I got a little excited when I pulled the trigger -- I tend to do that. And I've been party to transactions that have ended up being much worse. I have hopes that this pen will end up being a beautiful daily carry.