Homer Or Antione De St Exupery

penmaxwell919

fpn_1534046651__img_3021.jpg

The OB came back unexpectedly just one month after I purchased the pen. This is my first oblique 149 size nib. Although the M Homer writes extremely smoothly, the OB brings more characteristics, the line variations, and writing pleasure.

Amazing pen mjchuang9! The OB nib produces wonderful lines. Thank you for the photos.

I picked up the Homer with an F nib 2 days ago and would love to have it in OB.

Tom - being that use utilize the services of a boutique here in the USA, would you recommend that I contact the Tyson's Corner boutique in the event I would like to send out my Homer for a nib exchange? I have yet to ink the pen and have lost confidence in my local boutique's ability regarding nib exchanges.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penmaxwell919

• mjchuang9

• kandarp

• Tom Kellie

Tom - being that use utilize the services of a boutique here in the USA, would you recommend that I contact the Tyson's Corner boutique in the event I would like to send out my Homer for a nib exchange? I have yet to ink the pen and have lost confidence in my local boutique's ability regarding nib exchanges.

~ 888007888:

Yes, that's highly likely to bring about a satisfactory result.

Regular FPN Montblanc Forum member Toll has likewise had highly competent service from that boutique.

The manager is well-acquainted with the Bespoke Nib Program.

In the “Enjoying Montblanc Pens...” thread I'll post full contact information for your convenience and for all others.

Tom K.

fpn_1534046651__img_3021.jpg

The OB came back unexpectedly just one month after I purchased the pen. This is my first oblique 149 size nib. Although the M Homer writes extremely smoothly, the OB brings more characteristics, the line variations, and writing pleasure.

Hi Mjchuang9,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just brought a Homer with a fine and would like to send it out for a bold or OB, but before that I would like to get some user feedback because I never wrote with an oblique nib before. Do you have to write a little different with the OB versus a regular nib?

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It helped me decide on the Homer.

Here is another question. If you had a choice to get a Tolstoy, Shakespeare or a Collodi, which one would you pick and why?

Hi Mjchuang9,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just brought a Homer with a fine and would like to send it out for a bold or OB, but before that I would like to get some user feedback because I never wrote with an oblique nib before. Do you have to write a little different with the OB versus a regular nib?

I don't need to write in a different way with an oblique nib. Although the service guide says that B and OB will show the opposite line variations in equal width , the OB can write with more line variations in my experience. There are test pens in the boutique , but they may not provide the correct information even you try. B or OB is personal preference.

Edited by mjchuang9

I'm actually selling my practically new Antione De St Exupery to fund a Homer. I'll probably end up getting it in a B nib.

I'm actually selling my practically new Antione De St Exupery to fund a Homer. I'll probably end up getting it in a B nib.

You do not know what you have till it is gone.

:)

Edited by meiers

It's funny you say that. Just today I was tempted to ink the Exupery with it's own limited edition ink and use it. The BB nib is incredible and I LOVE the details on the pen and nib.

However, this does not 'jive' with the rest of my writer's editions. I have the Twain, Christie, Mann, Collodi and Proust. I've tried carrying the Exupery with each and every one of them and feel that the Exupery just is an understated pen that looks 'inferior' (both in quality and design) when directly compared with the other WEs. Just my two cents.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of their #9 sized nib (have over a dozen 149s, and only one 146 at this point) so really 'want' the Homer, I may even end up getting two!

You do not know what you have till it is gone.

:)

Can you share why you are selling the Exupery?

The Exupery is an incredibly pen. The BB nib is great and it's a very well crafted pen with a rich and intricate design. It looks great, when observed in isolation.

When I carry it with any of my other Writer's editions or my solitaire montblancs, then it looks like (to me) that it was cheaply put together by someone who was was using a cheap Chinese Mont Blanc for reference.

I kept an open mind and took a leap of faith with this relationship. However, the 'nose-cone' star has not grown on me, the body feels cheap and the balance of the pen is not working out for me. Also, I find myself lusting after the newer and curvier Homer. Homer's #9 nib just adds fuel to my fire and I don't think it's fair to let the Exupery collect dust in my safe since I'm not very likely to add this to my daily rotation.

It's a great pen but just seems out of place in my collection.

Can you share why you are selling the Exupery?

It's funny you say that. Just today I was tempted to ink the Exupery with it's own limited edition ink and use it. The BB nib is incredible and I LOVE the details on the pen and nib.

However, this does not 'jive' with the rest of my writer's editions. I have the Twain, Christie, Mann, Collodi and Proust. I've tried carrying the Exupery with each and every one of them and feel that the Exupery just is an understated pen that looks 'inferior' (both in quality and design) when directly compared with the other WEs. Just my two cents.

Having said that, I'm a huge fan of their #9 sized nib (have over a dozen 149s, and only one 146 at this point) so really 'want' the Homer, I may even end up getting two!

What nibs do you have on your WEs? I'm trying to decide between a Collodi, Tolstoy or a Shakespeare. I can only get a free nib exchange for the Tolstoy and the Shakespeare, but I will have to stick with a medium for the Collodi or pay to get something else. Can you share some of your experiences of your WEs? Especially, the Exupery, because I have been think of that pen for a while, but the design is something that I like one day but not really the next.

I have a Christie in a medium, Twain in fine, Dumas in medium and a Homer in fine, that I'm still not certain if I want to exchange for a B or OB or BB. And that is all the experience I have with MB nibs. I don't have either 146 or 149s.

The Exupery is an incredibly pen. The BB nib is great and it's a very well crafted pen with a rich and intricate design. It looks great, when observed in isolation.

When I carry it with any of my other Writer's editions or my solitaire montblancs, then it looks like (to me) that it was cheaply put together by someone who was was using a cheap Chinese Mont Blanc for reference.

I kept an open mind and took a leap of faith with this relationship. However, the 'nose-cone' star has not grown on me, the body feels cheap and the balance of the pen is not working out for me. Also, I find myself lusting after the newer and curvier Homer. Homer's #9 nib just adds fuel to my fire and I don't think it's fair to let the Exupery collect dust in my safe since I'm not very likely to add this to my daily rotation.

It's a great pen but just seems out of place in my collection.

You mentioned comparing the Exupery to your solitaire pens. Do they feel that much more solidly built than the resin pens? When I was considering the Exupery, my other considerations were the Petit prince in resin and the Solitare model. I always get attracted back to the two-tone nib of the Solitaire, but the full pen engraving was a little too much. If it was a little more understated without the 2-tone colors on the whole pen but just a texture like the resin Prince than I would have sprung for it.

Christie F (maybe even an EF), Proust BB, Mann M, Collodi M, Twain M and Exupery in BB - I believe these have the same nib size as a 146. My Favorite nib out of all of these is the F on the Christie. It's one of the best nibs that I own. Collodi's M, and the two BBs would be tied for a close second. The M's on the Twain and Mann are good, but not worth writing home about. (See what I did there :)) - If I could, I'd exchange these two for another F or B/BB in a heartbeat.

Of the four that you are considering, the Collodi would be my favorite, then Shakespeare, Exupery and Tolstoy. I LOVE the champagne-gold finish against the dark brown body.

Personally, I'd prefer going for a BB or F in my writer's editions and opting for a nib exchange if I don't like them.

What nibs do you have on your WEs? I'm trying to decide between a Collodi, Tolstoy or a Shakespeare. I can only get a free nib exchange for the Tolstoy and the Shakespeare, but I will have to stick with a medium for the Collodi or pay to get something else. Can you share some of your experiences of your WEs? Especially, the Exupery, because I have been think of that pen for a while, but the design is something that I like one day but not really the next.

I have a Christie in a medium, Twain in fine, Dumas in medium and a Homer in fine, that I'm still not certain if I want to exchange for a B or OB or BB. And that is all the experience I have with MB nibs. I don't have either 146 or 149s.

Yes, (to me) the solitaires do feel more 'solid' when compared to the resin pens, but not as solid or well built as the writer's editions. For the same price, I'd much rather have a WE.

You mentioned comparing the Exupery to your solitaire pens. Do they feel that much more solidly built than the resin pens? When I was considering the Exupery, my other considerations were the Petit prince in resin and the Solitare model. I always get attracted back to the two-tone nib of the Solitaire, but the full pen engraving was a little too much. If it was a little more understated without the 2-tone colors on the whole pen but just a texture like the resin Prince than I would have sprung for it.

Again, I'm not saying that the Exupery is a bad pen or not as good as the other WEs. It just feels out of place when I compare it with my other pens.

Edited by Fountainpencrazy

Christie F (maybe even an EF), Proust BB, Mann M, Collodi M, Twain M and Exupery in BB - I believe these have the same nib size as a 146. My Favorite nib out of all of these is the F on the Christie. It's one of the best nibs that I own. Collodi's M, and the two BBs would be tied for a close second. The M's on the Twain and Mann are good, but not worth writing home about. (See what I did there :)) - If I could, I'd exchange these two for another F or B/BB in a heartbeat.

Of the four that you are considering, the Collodi would be my favorite, then Shakespeare, Exupery and Tolstoy. I LOVE the champagne-gold finish against the dark brown body.

Personally, I'd prefer going for a BB or F in my writer's editions and opting for a nib exchange if I don't like them.

Yes, (to me) the solitaires do feel more 'solid' when compared to the resin pens, but not as solid or well built as the writer's editions. For the same price, I'd much rather have a WE.

Again, I'm not saying that the Exupery is a bad pen or not as good as the other WEs. It just feels out of place when I compare it with my other pens.

I have to look at the Collodi again because from all the photos I have seen of it, and it is not alot because there aren't alot out there, the barrel looks black. Brown is a much nicer color to contrast with the gold. That would be another check in the Collodi column.

Would you also share what you like about the Shakespeare, because I prefer the Tolstoy more than Shakespeare but I also would like to see if I missed anything that you might have picked up, like the dark brown barrel on the Collodi.

You need to see the Collodi in person. It's gorgeous. I saw pictures of it when it was introduced and figured I'll never purchase it. My wife saw it at the boutique and surprised me with it. Pictures don't do this pen justice. I'll never sell this pen.

I love the black & white resin on the Shakespeare and the gold trim looks pretty neat too. I've been wanting to purchase one of these for months.

These two pens are extremely elegant. The Collodi looks incredible when I clip it to my suit's outer pocket.

I have to look at the Collodi again because from all the photos I have seen of it, and it is not alot because there aren't alot out there, the barrel looks black. Brown is a much nicer color to contrast with the gold. That would be another check in the Collodi column.

Would you also share what you like about the Shakespeare, because I prefer the Tolstoy more than Shakespeare but I also would like to see if I missed anything that you might have picked up, like the dark brown barrel on the Collodi.

You need to see the Collodi in person. It's gorgeous. I saw pictures of it when it was introduced and figured I'll never purchase it. My wife saw it at the boutique and surprised me with it. Pictures don't do this pen justice. I'll never sell this pen.

I love the black & white resin on the Shakespeare and the gold trim looks pretty neat too. I've been wanting to purchase one of these for months.

These two pens are extremely elegant. The Collodi looks incredible when I clip it to my suit's outer pocket.

Then I guess it is the Collodi. The dark brown barrel with cap really sold me. Thanks

Good luck. I hope I didn't talk you out of purchasing that awesome Exupery listed here :lol: .

Then I guess it is the Collodi. The dark brown barrel with cap really sold me. Thanks

Good luck. I hope I didn't talk you out of purchasing that awesome Exupery listed here :lol: .

Maybe, it just got pushed lower down the buy it list. Depends on what comes out next year and if I run into a Proust. The Hemingway is already off that list.

Good luck. The Homer and Hemingway are next on my list.

The Homer is definitely a great pen. At first I was a little hesitant about the look of it, but it grew on me and the texture and shape of it is very comfortable.

Have you seen the Hemingway in person before? It was on my list too, but when I examined it closely, I noticed that the resin on the cap was thinner than the other WE and the barrel didn't feel that solid to me. Since I like to use them on a regular basis I couldn't bear having the cap and piston knob crack on me, which is what I saw when I shone a bright light on the piston cap and saw the beginning of a crack.