Parker 45 Forward

old4570

So I inked all my Parker 45's ( 8 of them )

The pen they were competing against a Jinhao 992 with a modified NIB

Only one out of 8 Parkers came close to matching the Jinhao 992 ( With a modified NIB )

3 or 4 Parkers dried out or were dry starters after only 2 days of rest .. ( Jinhao 992 has rested for over a week )

Several dried out when canted in a way the pen did not like .

The Parkers do seem to suffer the sweet spot ( hold it so or else )

I think I may have messed up , Not sure which F NIB was the best , I thought it was the 14k NIB , but for some reason another 45 made it into the top 3 (?)

Will have to re-ink the 14k pen and put it against the other .. Just to be sure ..

3 Top pens will be going against the Moonman 80 pens I have ..

Kind of makes me wonder why such regard for the 45 ?

Does not seem to be anything special to me .. Unless people are just remembering good times at Ridgemont High .

From this experience , I am just left wondering ?

Why are so many sellers wanting so much money ? ( It was a budget pen after all )

Why is it a collectors item ? ( Millions were made )

And from a user perspective - 8 pens - Not impressed at all . ( A $1.50 Jinhao 992 is better )

I will post a review + video

Is it a case of Nostalgia ?

Edited by old4570

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• old4570

• aalmcc4

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're only criteria for your comparison was how quickly the pens dried out unused? And you're comparing Parker 45s to a Jinhao with a nib that's "modified"? How is it modified and how is it a fair comparison? Why don't you compare 8 Jinhaos with completely factory stock nibs and 8 45s. That would seem like a better comparison.

Full disclosure, I don't purchase Chinese (mainland, Taiwan excluded) manufactured items, when I have another option. And I love my 45s. Here's why;

Yes, vintage allure. Cool mid century mod design vibe. Think the Madmen TV series.

Relatively inexpensive and relatively available

Easily interchangeable nibs which are also relatively available

Easy to clean and restore

C/c

Many different varieties and models to keep the "collector" (or accumulator like myself) busy

A great EDC pen.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????/

I have 2 Jinhao 992 inked = Thats why ! + the Jinhao 992 is $1.50

Also I have my factory stock Jinhao X750 , which is my yardstick ...

So that's sort of on top of the dog pile for factory stock pens ..

The X750 is better overall than my 992's

Which is absolutely the best ?

Well the best ? is highly subjective and no longer factory stock .

Best pen overall = Moonman M2 with tuned Jinhao NIB

Best writer = Camlin 22 with STOCK Jinhao NIB ( But is a hard starter ) Writes superbly , just a PITA to start . ( This pen is so crazy )

Best factory stock = Jinhao X750

The Parker B NIB is the best writer , but suffers the sweet spot syndrome as does the pen with a M NIB ..

About to re-ink the 45 with the F 14k NIB ..

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/338594-8-parker-45s-tested/

Watch the video - have fun .. No Chinese pens to be seen (?)

Not paying ($$) more for parts, than I payed for the pens .. ( That's not economical at all )

When you have to buy 10 pens to get one good one ? ( How is that pen good ? = Any Pen )

Or if you have to buy new parts ?

+ This is Parker VS Parker and then VS Moonman 80 ...

My goal being to find the best pens to use in a comparison . ( So actually I am trying very hard to be fair )

Edited by old4570

Hehehehe,

So inked the 14k F , and the cold plated F is better over all ..

Both pens suffer sweet spot syndrome , the 14k NIB just so much more than the gold plated .

The 14k NIB is really sweet in the sweet spot , but becomes very scratchy on the back sweep or on the top of loops ..

CANT the 14k NIB one way or other and it begins to catch the paper ..

The plated NIB is far more generous towards how you hold the pen , so my original choice was the correct one .

I have my 3 pens , a F / M / B NIB'ed .

Just need to clean this 14k pen and put it away ..

I have 3 brand new factory stock Jinhao 992 ... Hooded / CT / GT ( Not inked yet )

Edited by old4570