Help Dating My Mb149?

sanesan

Hello, I've got an interesting mb 149 which may have some parts from different eras. It's got a tri-tone 18C nib (which according to the "dating 149's" chart is an earlier nib), but it's also got the split ebonite feed and plastic threaded piston. There's only "Germany" on the clip with no serial number, and no "pix" on the cap band, just "Montblanc Meisterstuck No 149"

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Michael R.

• Barry Gabay

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It could be a mid 1970s pen when they switched feeds, or more likely, a repair on an older pen. Pics would help a bit.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

it certainly looks like a 1950's 149 that has been serviced with a contemporary feed.

Edited by SpecTP

"Germany" suggests it was made after the wall came down but before serial numbers started. So early 90's?

My nib is the same tri-tone version, and my cap originally had West Germany on it, but I think that the only thing on my pen now that's pre 21st century is the nib.

Nope to both above. It is a 1970s pen, and not 1960s as it has a screw in piston as illustrated by the sharp piston ring. The 18C tri tone nibs were used it the mid 1970s. They are not as flexible as those used in the late 1950s and 60s. I wish I could see if it was a solid ebonite feed or is there is a split, but the tip is cut out of the photo for me. If it is a solid feed this is appropriate for a pen from the mid 1970s. Split ebonite feeds came in in the later 1970s. The M sticker looks OK for that era too.

Germany on the clip was used from the 1950s (and for a while it was "made in Germany") until the mid 1980s when it switched to "W. GERMANY" and then back to Germany after about 1991.

The "Dating Montblanc 149's" chart shows the 18ct tri-tone nib was used between mid 1990's and 2010. I've always known my 18ct tri-tone nib as being from mid 1990's.

The chart shows that there was a 14ct version in the 70's but not an 18ct one.

I tend to agree with zaddick ;-)

18C three tone nibs are possible. In some countries 18C or 18K nibs habe been used instead of 14C or 14K.

42963517015_cc0697e0d4_o.jpgP1280582 by meisterstücke, auf Flickr

I've posted a few 149 images on flickr but haven't had a chance to label them ;-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159137301@N07/sets/72157698238270681

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159137301@N07/sets/72157699485654284

https://www.flickr.com/photos/159137301@N07/sets/72157693949293130

Cheers

Michael

Edited by Michael R.

~ Michael R.:

As ever, it's most welcome to see a visual response to a question.

Your tri-tone nib image expresses much.

Thank you.

Tom K.

I tend to agree with zaddick ;-)

18C three tone nibs are possible. In some countries 18C or 18K nibs habe been used instead of 14C or 14K.

+1

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

I've posted a few 149 images on flickr but haven't had a chance to label them ;-)

~ Michael R.:

After sharing the link to this thread with two friends with extensive Montblanc collections, both commented that they liked the tri-tone nib photo.

One mentioned that the lighting was ideal to bring out details.

Your nib photos continue to be a highlight of the FPN Montblanc Forum.

Tom K.

Per Zaddick's & Chrissy's comments: mId-1970s until 1981 when last of the solid-ebonite feeds were replaced with the split-ebonite feeds. Your nib was in use another year or two. Lovely fountain pen! Congratulations.

The three-tone 18C was in use until very early 1980s. My dates in the Pen World article later posted here are incorrect for that particular nib. The three-tone 18K nib (considerably younger than 18C) first appeared on the Hemingway in 1992. It went into regular production around 1994-95.

Edited by Barry Gabay

~ Michael R.:

After sharing the link to this thread with two friends with extensive Montblanc collections, both commented that they liked the tri-tone nib photo.

One mentioned that the lighting was ideal to bring out details.

Your nib photos continue to be a highlight of the FPN Montblanc Forum.

Tom K.

Many thanks for your nice words I'm pleased to hear.

Lighting and (no) reflections are the tricky parts for me to get done nicely. So it is always a gamble.

This one indeed turned out nicely and I like the picture as it shows the different colors of different era gold nibs. Also it captures the slight copperish tarnish on the 14C nibs (which tend to be typical for 70s 14C nibs) which I like and keep.

Cheers

Michael

Per Zaddick's & Chrissy's comments: mId-1970s until 1981 when last of the solid-ebonite feeds were replaced with the split-ebonite feeds. Your nib was in use another year or two. Lovely fountain pen! Congratulations.

The three-tone 18C was in use until very early 1980s. My dates in the Pen World article later posted here are incorrect for that particular nib. The three-tone 18K nib (considerably younger than 18C) first appeared on the Hemingway in 1992. It went into regular production around 1994-95.

Interesting. I had thought the 18C tri-colored nibs phased put in the mid 1970s and were replaced by the 14C two tone in most markets and 18C two tone in a few places like France.

I will defer to you on both the three-tone 18C and two-tone 18C nibs, Aaron. I remain in the dark regarding the two-tone 18C nib. I was not even aware of its existence until about 10 years ago. Catalogues from US stationers showed a three-tone 14C nib until mid-1970s and a two-tone 14C nib just after that time. With that in mind, we still need to account for the many 149s with three-tone 18C nibs which turn up in the US. Unless they were all purchased by travelers, which seems unlikely, there may have been a time when both three-tone 18C and three-tone 14C nibs were sold in the US. At the time of the Pen World article, I was under the impression that 18C nibs were exclusively for the French market. That clearly was incorrect.

I did not mean to propose I was correct and you were in error Barry and I apologize if it read that way to you at all. I have personally seen more of the 18C vs. 14C tri-tone nibs once we get to the 1970s. As you note, there really is no realistic way these were all meant for France and grew legs. :)

I don't have catalogs or original point of sale experience as you do so I am happy to adjust and/or augment my personal 149 database as better quality first hand info is provided by folks such as yourself.

I am pretty passionate about the 149 and strive for as much accuracy as is feasible, even though MB makes the job a little tough sometimes with all the changes and mixed features.

These 1960s-70s 149s are a compelling and interesting aspect of fountain pen history. I appreciate the accuracy of your personal research and learn something with each of your posts, Aaron. Keep up the great work, sir. No need to apologize; I was wrong about 3-tone 18C dates.

Though I have been drooling over 149s since living in Germany in 1974, and writing with them since 1979, there is quite a bit I have either forgotten or never learned in the first place.

Now, let me see if I remember which end goes into the ink bottle?