Carene Ef Refusing To Start

Petch

I have to coax it with a paper towel for nearly a minute each time, then it'll work just fine until I stop writing for 15 seconds

It's a new pen, currently has Diamine Majestic Blue in it, which I thought would be plenty wet enough.

Any suggestions? If it can't handle this ink as an EF I'll be pretty disappointed considering the price and that I have much finer pens that work flawlessly with much drier ink

Having left it capped for a good 10 minutes it wrote instantly, but it just loves to go dry on me if I stop writing for a brief moment (which is then when the paper towel needs to come out)

Also, I flipped the little threading ring around so that it was no longer held in place by the notch so that I could line the body up with the nib. Is that a bad idea, or is it what it should be like in the first place?

Edited by Petch

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Petch

• Left FPN

• alfredop

• rochester21

Also, I flipped the little threading ring around so that it was no longer held in place by the notch so that I could line the body up with the nib. Is that a bad idea, or is it what it should be like in the first place?

You did what? Can`t visualize.

Anyway, first thing`s first: did you flush the pen before inking it, just for safe measure? Also, Diamine is pretty "wet", but as far as flow is concerned, i would recommend something else. Waterman ink is fine, has a silky quality to it.

Edited by rochester21

You did what? Can`t visualize.

Anyway, first thing`s first: did you flush the pen before inking it, just for safe measure? Also, Diamine is pretty "wet", but as far as flow is concerned, i would recommend something else. Waterman ink is fine, has a silky quality to it.

I did this https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/63231-waterman-carene/page-2?do=findComment&comment=654577

Because the end of the body didn't line up with the nib. It won't affect the writing, I'm just worried if it's not designed to have this done that something's going to break

I didn't give it a proper flush but I've written a couple of pages (as I said, it flows great when it gets going - it's just VERY hard to get it going sometimes)

Are you using a converter or cartridges.

The Carene feed is huge and takes at least 1 full converter/cartridge of ink alone.

If using a converter draw ink up into the converter and wind it back down, forcing the drawn ink back into the bottle. Do this until no air bubbles emit through the ink bottle and you can see the converter appears full, no air trapped. Invert the section (nib up), give the section a few finger flicks to allow air to rise. Wind piston in until ink exits the breather hole. Return to ink bottle and wind piston out. Once fully out wind piston in 1 turn, maybe 2.

Remove from bottle and clean with tissue and wind piston back out the 1 or 2 turns.

Now try and report back.

Are you using a converter or cartridges.

The Carene feed is huge and takes at least 1 full converter/cartridge of ink alone.

If using a converter draw ink up into the converter and wind it back down, forcing the drawn ink back into the bottle. Do this until no air bubbles emit through the ink bottle and you can see the converter appears full, no air trapped. Invert the section (nib up), give the section a few finger flicks to allow air to rise. Wind piston in until ink exits the breather hole. Return to ink bottle and wind piston out. Once fully out wind piston in 1 turn, maybe 2.

Remove from bottle and clean with tissue and wind piston back out the 1 or 2 turns.

Now try and report back.

Converter, and this fixed my initial issue of it taking forever to start all the time

The remaining problem is that it just dries up really badly if it isn't used for 15-30s uncapped (something I don't experience with other pens). Pressing slightly hard on the paper gets it going again. Could just be the ink?

Edited by Petch

I had a very similar problem some time ago on a carene with an OF nib, the cause was that there was too much space between the feed and the nib. Unfortunately I do not have a solution for this problem, indeed I broke the nib attempting to fix it.

Alfredo

Ok. With nib down, wind the piston in until ink appears st the nibs tip. Now back it off 1/2 a turn.

Alternatively, if it's still under warranty, have Waterman replace the section.

After some more use, even writing after uncapping is inconsistent at starting - though not as bad as having left it for 10-15s.

I've contacted Waterman as it seems very much like baby's bottom (I'm a bit of a noob so maybe not, and I don't have any loops to check).

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this - I actually ended up sending it to Waterman as they said they'd look at it for free and, if it's under warranty, repair it for free.

I was told it would likely just be some nib work but they actually replaced the entire grip/nib section of the pen! It's writing much better now :)

Waterman rarely do nib work, especially on the Carene. It is not cost effective so they just swap parts.

I am pleased to hear the pen is now in a working condition.

My leaking nib unit (on a second hand Carene) was sent to Waterman and they did nothing. Just offered to replace it for more thn the cost of a new pen. Out of warranty of course. I bought a new nib unit myself (from Mr Pen, as it happens) and it writes beautifully.

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

I suspect that, once you start to know the score on an individual type of pen and find parts sources, the manufacturer becomes the last place to go for help. Unless you just cannot find a replacement component. The manufacturer might not have it either, and then they might just offer a new pen, all they can do.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.