About The Tip-Dip Model Range Of Fountain Pens

Nighttown

Hello, Folks!

I have a collection of Sheaffer pens.
I think I completely collected all the pen models in black in the Tip-Dip filling system section.
At different sites come across Craftsman Tip-Dip with a gold nib 33 produced in Australia,
but I never saw one produced in the USA.

Is there such a pen?

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nighttown

• 3rdlakerobert

• mitto

• gmark_wa

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 1950-52 Craftsman had a gold 33 nib, and a very similar gold nib was used on the Cadet 23, just stamped 23 rather than 33. The two nibs look alike to me. The Craftsman had a standard feed, but the Cadet 23 has a feed with the distinctive Tip Dip opening.

Edited by Robert111

• 4 weeks later...

I ask only for interst of collection. I mean pens manufactured in 1953-1963 with such feed.
3eab4812cdb9.jpg

These pens I've got in my collection.

5ac90171940e.jpg

Link to a large picture https://d.radikal.ru/d32/1808/70/e0de01a6f17e.jpg

From left to right:

Cadet, Stanless Steel nib, USA
Cadet, Gold nib 23, USA
Cadet, Gold nib 23, Australia
Craftsman "52", Gold nib 52, Australia
Craftsman, Gold nib 33, Australia
Craftsman, Stanless Steel nib, USA

What's I could find (http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/?page_id=3085):
Speaking of the target market; there were more or less two models of TipDip available, the Cadet and the Craftsman.
The former had a plastic cap, rather like that on the contemporary Admiral, while the latter had an unbanded steel cap.
I say “more or less” because there was an up-scale version of the Cadet offered for a short time which mounted a gold point,
quite similar to the Admiral or the TD Craftsman, but marked with a 23 point code. Canadian and Australian versions of the line differ from the US production, in that the Craftsman appears to have gotten better treatment; it got an upgrade to the same gold furniture as the Snorkel Admiral and retained the number 33 gold point.

So, if Craftsman Tip-Dip with gold nib 33 pens was manufactured in USA?
Are the Craftsman Tip-Dip pens with gold 33 nib which they offer on trade areas frankenpens?

-Ivan

Hi Ivan

Your Australian Touchdown Tip-Dip Craftsman 33 is most-likely authentic.

From my research, the Australian Sheaffer factory produced three Touchdown models with the Tip-Dip feed. You have examples of all of them:

• Touchdown Tip-Dip Cadet 23
  • Touchdown Tip-Dip Craftsman 33
  • Touchdown Tip-Dip Craftsman 52

The Cadet 23 and Craftsman 52 are newer models produced in the early-1960s. The nibs on these pens are inscribed ‘Australia’ and they have the newer cap inscriptions.

The Australian Tip-Dip Craftsman 33s have an older style nib (no Australia inscription) and older barrel inscriptions.

This suggests to me that the Australian Tip-Dip Craftsman 33s were produced earlier - perhaps mid-1950s - using imported nibs (probably made in the USA factory).

Unfortunately there is no way of confirming this because there is very little first-hand information on the Australian Sheaffer factory.

Regards. Mark

PS. Here are pictures of my aqua Australian Touchdown Tip-Dip Craftsman 33 and the nib unit.

post-126566-0-05371600-1536225228_thumb.jpg

post-126566-0-73179800-1536225250_thumb.jpg

Thanks to all responding.

Had Craftsman Tip-Dip 33 been manufactured in the USA but not in Australia or Canada?

mitto, It will be very interesting to look at your pen.

-Ivan

• 4 months later...

There is another item of model row Tip-Dip manufactured in Canada in my collection.

1f11e098c9d3.jpg

1688c685b5a8.jpg

PS: But my question asked before is actual now.

-Ivan