Buying Montblanc As An Investment

Memorexx

Just want to jump in slightly.. what do you guys think of MB Heritage 1912?

Do you think that would be something that would rise or fall in value?

Its my daily user pen. Lots of fun and excellent performance.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• torstar

• 1nkulus

• Memorexx

• Amit.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i buy what i like most. And also finding the one pen that has tremendously long history like the A Hemingway or an Agatha Christie as they will probably still be commanding a big premium in the future and most importantly still within reach and fits my budget currently.

I don't buy frequently. I could see that pen is not an investment... just that these LE or WE pens could also be passed down to the next generation

For me I never actually own an Agatha Christie FP or Hemingway. I am merely look after it for the next generation! :) sounds familiar?

Well, frankly these pens would definitely appreciate.. but would not make me rich.. so enjoy while we could.

Edited by penviper

My approach is like this...

Never buy the pens from the boutique or new from the dealer, you will surely lose money.

Better to buy at auction, second hand on ebay or to find deals when they come your way, but you have to be looking.

All my pens are for daily use, but I will say that if you buy at the right price, you certainly won't have a lot of downside - the nice Mont Blancs hold their value pretty well, as do some of the other top brands. Not like buying an iphone... that is worth nothing in 10 years... most of my pens I can sell for about what I paid.

I also sometimes buy as a flip and usually do pretty well. There are plenty of used pen dealers, but again these are dealer, not long-term investors. So there is some money to be made buying/selling pens as long as you know what the pens are worth.

Just my 2 cents. buy, enjoy, keep in nice condition, sell for a small gain/loss that is not material.

BTW, if someone is looking for a good entry point on new/like new matching pair of peter/catherine the great 888 set, PM me...

BTW, if someone is looking for a good entry point on new/like new matching pair of peter/catherine the great 888 set, PM me...

Please do not use this forum to sell your products or those of others. It is against the rules.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

IMHO, it is a risky bargain. Either you do the bet on short, i.e. get one at a cheap price and re-sell it for a ludicrous price shortly after (I've seen Watermans 12 in mint state selling in auction for 1/10 of a battered one in BuyNow), or you are placing a long term shot on the viability of the brand and its advertising campaigns, not to talk of the sustained interest in the item.

It's not like stamps. It may be rare, but if the brand has long past away and no one remembers it, it will only be a curiosity among many, and for some current pieces, a kitsch one. If you believe that the brand will still be around when you sell (say 30 years from now), and will keep on advertising as a luxury brand, and people will still be interested on it, then it may be worth it. But remember MB was acquired by St. Dupont, who could have decided a different course for the brand. Remember that many luxury brands from 100 hundred years ago are today unknown. Remember that no one uses 2Kg cell phones any longer (and few are interested on them). It's all a long term bet.

For that, you may as well invest in the stock market. It's not any different conceptually.

The only difference is: since it is in all cases a bet, it is best if you bet on what you know best. If you are knowledgeable about FPs, maybe you will know enough to bet on them, if you know about stock, get into the stock market, if you know about cars, invest on cars that you bet will become iconic... A Fiat 500 was the 'el cheapo' of its time and became a collector's item, an original beetle... You see, it's not a matter of whether it is MB or Ferrari, but rather of whether you can tell what people will be willing to pay for 50 or 100 years from now. If you believe you can you can try.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 1 month later...

Unless, you are looking for an investment then prewar time, war time and post war time production MBs until the 1980's are good investments which rise in value. Aside a few limited editions such as the Semiramis, the Octavian, the Hemingway, Max Von Oppenheim, Imperial Dragon, Dostoeivsky and Catherine de Medicis, the rest isn't going to bring you money.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I never think of hobbies as investments. Every time someone here tells me that he is going to invest in another pair of new skis, I secretly laughed. :D :D :D

IMO, the ROI is not worth the time/effort unless you are really lucky and have bought them at a great deal.

I never think of hobbies as investments.

+1

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I buy pens because I enjoy using them. I don't buy more than I can use. It makes me feel good. Just like driving a nice car...however I buy my cars like I buy my pens...at the right price...when they are depreciated out. I don't even view pens as a hobby or an investment...its just something I do. I buy gently used 149s at the right price and I use it. It doesn't sit in a pen tray for display (nothing wrong with that) my pens sit inked ready to be used. Last year I bought 1 pen. This year so far 4 with plans on buying one to two more. It all depends on price. Plus I own a business so everything is tax deductible. Everything I buy is in the name of the business...laptop, cellphone, cars, pens, and multiple desks.

Why MB...I buy a Pilot...I pay retail. I buy Franklin Christoph...I pay retail. I buy MB 149...I go to eBay...I find 100 pens everyday that someone payed retail for that I get to look at (in endless supply) and pay 50% of retail. Its a wise financial decision and the pen will last forever if I take care of it.

That my 2 cents.

Well in this vein....how does one get a reasonable estimate of value—i mean the going rate—for a pen.

Let’s say for example a near 149 90th anniversary edition with the rose gold bells and whistles. On eBay currently there are three ranging from 1500 to 1750. Is that 200 under that a good price?

Well in this vein....how does one get a reasonable estimate of value—i mean the going rate—for a pen.

Let’s say for example a near 149 90th anniversary edition with the rose gold bells and whistles. On eBay currently there are three ranging from 1500 to 1750. Is that 200 under that a good price?

Zaddick said this and I agree...market dictates price. Seller can put whatever price they want...buyer decides what he wants to pay.

For me...run of the mill 149's..used...excellent condition and serviced...$450+-$100. That's my formula and what I feel they are worth ( I am thinking about adjusting that formula based on recent purchases...buying overseas, discounts, and exchange rates). Zaddick mentioned this as well.

I know nothing about LE or Anniversary Editions because I don't buy them and haven't studied them. Again Zaddick is right... That is why pens sit on eBay for months and keep getting relisted...value/price is all relative and subjective.

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

Work those pens until the barrels crumble in your hand.

+1

Zaddick said this and I agree...market dictates price. Seller can put whatever price they want...buyer decides what he wants to pay.

+1

The value+price combo is subjective.

Patience is key and, eventually, you do find something worthwhile.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Heirloom yes, investment no.

Small profits can be made on montblanc pens but there are easier ways of making money. I buy a few pens each year, those I like I keep, the others I sell on hopefully not loosing too much. I have several which I will never sell and one day they will go to my children.

I buy pens because I like their design, I keep them because the nib and feel of the pen works for me.

Heirloom yes, investment no.

Small profits can be made on montblanc pens but there are easier ways of making money. I buy a few pens each year, those I like I keep, the others I sell on hopefully not loosing too much. I have several which I will never sell and one day they will go to my children.

I buy pens because I like their design, I keep them because the nib and feel of the pen works for me.

+1

I share the same outlook. thumbup.gif I take a slow and steady approach to purchases and rarely sell any.

Engineer :

That's what I was trying to say...you sit and wait...eventually you will get what you want...The key is you need the funds to strike when it does come up.

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

That's what I was trying to say...you sit and wait...eventually you will get what you want...The key is you need the funds to strike when it does come up.

I am always ready to strike a good deal. biggrin.png My pen fund isn't huge but it has not let me down yet.

Engineer :

+1

+1

It makes up for the MB Verne dud to have a Proust on the same writing desk. :D