Ready To Upgrade.

justj

I have been using a pilot metropolitan that has seen fair use. I'm going to be signing some important paperwork, and to treat myself, I am looking to upgrade my pen.

I have narrowed my field down to 3 pens and looking for suggestions from people that have used them (or just plain old 'other' suggestions)

In order of price

• Lamy Safari
  • Platinum 3776
  • Lamy 2000

My choice originally was the Lamy 2000 -- but I got to write with one and that 'sweet spot' was elusive to me (I suppose practice is all I need).

Next choice was the #3777, I haven't written with it, but it seems to have a good following.

The Lamy Safari also has a good following, and it has the bonus of swappable nibs, something the 1st two do not.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for your comments.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• justj

• ThomasB

• TurboPen

• ardene

Hello and welcome from Baton Rouge, Louisiana...Enjoy your time here. Of the three listed I personall prefer the safari for as you described the nib choices and it is a light and well balanced pen

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Of the three you mentioned I prefer the Platinum #3776 family on looks, function and versatility.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

I have all three pens, can't go wrong with any of them. The Lamy's will have slightly wider nibs for the same size as the Platinum.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I've had all three pens and couldn't get used to the feedback from the 3776's nib. It felt like I was writing with a pencil. But it's a matter of taste.

I own a Safari in charcoal, and have used both the 2000 and the 3776... Personally, I dont feel that the price difference is worth it, and I really enjoy the humble Safari, so I just ordered a second one in petrol!

The Safari isn't really an upgrade though. They are in Germany sold and marketed towards school kids, and teachers use them too (likely because they are cheap and if a Safari gets lost it's no big deal). And the design is pretty love or hate, I don't find them very porfessional looking. A Lamy Studio would be a better choice, or a CP1 I think the model is... Uses the same swappable nibs as the Safari, but is professional looking and definitely an upgrade compared to the school pen that is a Safari.

The Safari and the Pelikano, along with the Kakuno and Sailor's Clear Candy line and the Plaisir by Platinum, are all in the same league.

The Prera is a better choice and the brown or slate grey finishes work well in an office setting.

Out of the pens you put forth, I like the 3776 Century the best and you can get a very big gold nib for comparatively little money, esp compared to the 2000, which has a small gold nib. The 2000 is a bit more subdued though and doesn't seek any attention.

Also one is a piston filler, the other cartridge, so what is more convenient for you?

The sweet spot of the 2000 is I think more noticeable in M and upwards, the tipping is still cut the same way as when the pen hit the market first: it is basically a stub, so that is what the sweet spot is all about. If you choose an F, that won't be a bother. If you don't rotate your pen too much and hold it properly, then the sweet spot won't be a bother in M and up either.

Thanks for the kind words & suggestions. Definitely some food for thought. It seems there is more of a personal taste to the pens than I had thought; now I see why so many collect pens.

I like the more subdued/classic styles, not so much the demonstrators.

As I only have experience with cartridges & the cheap/simple Metropolitan converter, I don't have enough experience to know too much between the different fill systems -- although; the more robust, the better. Nor do I have much experience with other nib styles, so a stub nib would be a new experience.

I do tend to roll my pen back and forth a bit; which I've gotten much better about when using the metropolitan, so I think I could train myself to another type.

My writing style tends to be sort of a mix of print & cursive for my own musings., leaning towards cursive when writing for others.

Again, thank you.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to FPN, from Cape Town, South Africa.

To sit at one's table on a sunny morning, with four clear hours of uninterruptible security, plenty of nice white paper, and a [fountain] pen - that is true happiness!

- Winston Churchill

I've had a Lamy 2000, Lamy Safari, and Lamy Aion. I sold all of them: writing with the 2000 nib wasn't scratchy but was like dragging a bag full of laundry across a tiled floor; the Aion was too heavy for me and the nib/feed was dry; and the Safari nib was outright scratchy. Lamy just isn't for me. If you like smoother nibs, I recommend Pilot Custom 74. Sailor and Platinum are also great but have a bit more feedback than Pilot.

Edited by letterByOwl

Thanks for all the greets. (And suggestions) -- coincidentally, I ended up chatting with a bloke and he had a whole roll of pens with him and let me try a few.

He had a LOT of pens (I would guess on the order of 30-40); but based on my price range & newbie-ism, he suggested the Namiki Falcon, which I tried. He had both medium and bold. I really enjoyed the bold but found the lines from the medium varied while writing without much effort.

He also let me write with a pen that was wwwwaaaaay out of my price range. The luxury was lost on me, other than 'artistic' value of the pen itself, I couldn't see much difference in writing smoothness than less expensive pens.

It seems that pens are like art brushes, each has a place for a task, on a given medium, etc. And there is no such thing as the "overall perfect pen". I also learned a little more why people collect them -- they are in search of a better pen, or a pen better suited for a specific task (ie: writing, drawing, etc)

Anyway -- unless I can find a falcon in fine to try, I'll order the falcon medium. I was really impressed by how nicely it wrote.

I am surprised how few pens seem to have replacement nibs available, especially as a newbie who is more likely to damage the nib either from accident or misuse. but, at least it's not a $5,000 pen !!!!

I look forward to learning more, and I guess I've taken my first few steps towards an addiction.

Hello, and welcome to FPN, enjoy your stay!

I have a black Lamy Safari, which I’ve owned for the past two years; it has been a good inexpensive pen for me, with a very smooth medium nib. I can assure you, it won’t be a bad pen added to your collection.

And regarding the two pens you mention, Lamy 2000, and the Platinum 3776; I had read several reviews here on FPN, and elsewhere, and hopefully add them to my collection sometime in the future.

• 3 weeks later...