Seal Inks

minddance

Which Lamy S/Steel nib series preserves inks properly and prevent dryout?

I experienced rather obvious dryout with Lamy Safari and Al-Star.

I really enjoy some of the nibs, especially the Stubs and would like to use them in non-triangular grip pens that prevent dryout :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• minddance

• senzen

• chravagni

What sort of time frame?

IMO; Dialog 3, Scala, Logo have done well.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

If I understood the question correctly... Studios evaporate way less than Safaris (Vistas) and seem to produce consistent ink colours; the EF nibs in particular seem to produce lighter and consistent colours, which was my goal for Ajisai and Ama Iro.

fpn_1533830232__3_studios_a.jpg

The shiny sections can be too slippery for some people, and some finishes seem fragile, my imperial blue and black bought used have small nicks; I just got the one in palladium finish with a steel nib for a reasonable price, the section is less slippery and hopefully the finish is more durable. And it's stunning! The steel version with the rubber section also looks very classy.

These pens seem to be regularly dumped on ebay, so I've been able to get them from $25 to $50.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

What sort of time frame?

IMO; Dialog 3, Scala, Logo have done well.

Say 2-3 weeks minimum? Or at least better than Safari?

Yes Pseudo88, I might not have phrased my question properly, I hope for a pen that does not evaporate inks. Steel nib.

I enjoy some of the steel nibs, ef, f, m, 1.1. But I only have Safari and al-star. I do not thoroughly enjoy the traingular grip and these pens evaporate inks. The inks turn darker, which is helpful for inks like Alt Goldgrun and Pilot Blue, but the inks eventually dry out and disappear.

My aim is to preserve colours and inks, especially blues. I appreciate the fact that Ama Iro and Ajisai look great when fresh: Ama Iro can age to look like Kon Peki, this is what I do not desire.

I am not a great fan of slippery metallic sections, Faber Castell Loom is my threshold.

Thank you for the pictures, the matte finish section could be less slippery than those shiny ones?

Edited by minddance

You could consider a Studio in steel which has a rubber grip.

OTOH, consider a Platinum Plaisir. Similar price range as Safari, no triangular grip and definitely no drying out issues.

Mine has not dried out in over 3 months.

Drying out would also be environment dependent.

What is your budget and are you open to trying other brands?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

In my experience, the Lamy Aion doesn't dry at all (two-three weeks without usage and the ink was still the same, two months and the ink was a little darker). Even during spring and sommer (hot and dry, here).

Thick section, not slippery.

You may also consider the Pelikan M200: piston filler, more expensive (twice the Aion) but also a never drying pen.

Edited to add content.

Edited by chravagni

In my experience, the Lamy Aion doesn't dry at all (two-three weeks without usage and the ink was still the same, two months and the ink was a little darker). Even during spring and sommer (hot and dry, here).

Thick section, not slippery.

Thank you for the insight. :thumbup:

The Aion could be the VFM upgrade for OP and the silver color is nice,

Engineer :

Yes Pseudo88, I might not have phrased my question properly, I hope for a pen that does not evaporate inks. Steel nib.

I enjoy some of the steel nibs, ef, f, m, 1.1. But I only have Safari and al-star. I do not thoroughly enjoy the traingular grip and these pens evaporate inks. The inks turn darker, which is helpful for inks like Alt Goldgrun and Pilot Blue, but the inks eventually dry out and disappear.

My aim is to preserve colours and inks, especially blues. I appreciate the fact that Ama Iro and Ajisai look great when fresh: Ama Iro can age to look like Kon Peki, this is what I do not desire.

I am not a great fan of slippery metallic sections, Faber Castell Loom is my threshold.

Thank you for the pictures, the matte finish section could be less slippery than those shiny ones?

I've been using the palladium finish with Ama Iro; it's not at all slippery and Ama Iro keeps coming out consistently light. It only took me half a bottle to find its pen... Studios have the same nibs as Safaris but all three have been smoother, some say there is more quality control on them.

I was thinking of saving for a Carène or getting a vintage pen, but honestly if I find a Steel Studio at a decent price...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I've been using the palladium finish with Ama Iro; it's not at all slippery and Ama Iro keeps coming out consistently light. It only took me half a bottle to find its pen... Studios have the same nibs as Safaris but all three have been smoother, some say there is more quality control on them.

I was thinking of saving for a Carène or getting a vintage pen, but honestly if I find a Steel Studio at a decent price...

All Lamy's use the same nib except 2K and Imporium. The Carène is a good choice as are vintage Pelikans.

Plenty of Studio's so getting a deal should not be too hard.

A lot of people do not prefer the steel version because of the soft touch/rubbery section.

Engineer :

fpn_1534102659__ama_iro_kon_peki.jpg

The Pelikan has a bit of cellophane between the nib and feed to make it come out lighter.

Edited by pseudo88

B. Russell

Thank you for the insight. :thumbup:

The Aion could be the VFM upgrade for OP and the silver color is nice,

You are welcome :-)

You are welcome :-)

:thumbup:

Engineer :

Thanks to all who have weighed in :)

I am only interested in Lamy pens (thus this post in a Lamy forum) that can work with the z50(?) nibs and do not have dryout issues.

Pls continue to provide more info on this subject.

I agree there are many excellent pens apart from Lamy :)