Do You Use A Pen As A Part Of An Outfit?

Honeybadgers

I don't wear a suit very often, but being a paramedic, I do wear a clean pressed uniform 4 days a week. I usually have a $10 wing sung 601 or delike alpha in my breast pocket, but this last month, we had a medic and critical care nurse die in separate incidents. Both were/are going to be buried in full uniform and there will be a large presence of our crews. We don't have dress uniforms, so field blues it is. To the first funeral, I decided to spruce up my pocket with a visconti homo sapiens next to my stethoscope, and for tomorrow's funeral, I plan on using my mont blanc 149. But as somber as the occasion is, it did raise the question in my mind.

I know that expensive pens are often used by the rich as a status symbol, but do any of you actually pick a pen for your outfit like you would a watch?

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• pajaro

• jmnav

• ardene

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, for funerals, I'd not dream of showing off, much less with a pen showing in my suit breast pocket. If a pen, then in the inside pen pocket of the suit jacket, for when you sign the book with a nib that gives flair.

A descent ring, nice cuff links and a good tie tac. Could go for a nice but not overly flashy folded handkerchief in the breast pocket of the suit. The old style thin wrist watch is worn under the long sleeve shirt, or under the jacket....not on the sleeve.

Funerals are not quite the place for a gold pocket watch and it's gold chain in your three piece suit. There's no place for one in a two piece suit.

OK, so it's pocket watches that is why I have 3 piece suits. :rolleyes:

IMO, one flashes discretely when flashing as is. Like you have had what ever watch or pen, for so long, it's just normal, not look at my Omega and snowflake.

A nice Pelikan is more discrete in such situations than 'even the Ball Point Barbarians' know what a snowflake is. You are not there to be admired, but to pay respects to the dead and their family.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I could understand this, if the deceased was a pen fanatic himself. But otherwise the question is: Who brings bling to a funeral? And why would one do that?

I agree with Bo Bo Olson, you can take with you any pen you like, but it goes in the inside pocket of the jacket.

Alfredo

To answer the OP's question:

Yes I do tend to match pens to my outfit. As a part time IT supporter I have a very broad range of clients. Some are very laid back, and I can show up i shorts, flip-flops and t-shirts with funny pictures or statements - I often match the colour of my pens to the outfit and match the watch as well. I some other cases I have to show up in long trousers, shirt and a jacket in which case I'll wear some kind of black pen - not necessarily something expensive, but at least looking business like. Like a Safari or an Aion.

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

No, never picked a pen to match. Nor have I ever put anything (pen or otherwise) in an external suit jacket pocket.

I have no outfits and cannot even imagine picking a watch or pen as part of an ensemble. I can't even imagine picking an ensemble.

My Website

I have no outfits and cannot even imagine picking a watch or pen as part of an ensemble. I can't even imagine picking an ensemble.

I admit that when I read the question, my thoughts drifted immediately to the question of what kind of attire would match your pens.

I carry my pens in my handbag and don't think about matching my clothes to the pen I am carrying, but almost all my pens and all my clothes are either dark purple or black, so I suppose they all match fairly well.

Well ... hmm ... don't think I would want to be seen showing off at a funeral ... OK that stated, I do pick a pen as a part of an outfit , when situation demands though, and that typically mean business meeting , going to particular events ( say a Pink pen is usually not my idea of a good color for outfit but then it would work great in weddings ). And for such thing as a funeral, I would certainly avoid taking along a MB 149 ... it can be seen as trying to show off instead of showing respect. I would instead select a discrete but serious looking pen instead and that pen stay clipped to the inside pocket. Its generally not a good idea to have glitter so I do avoid chromed, gold ( gold plated ) or even silver ... a dead conservative good old black lacquered one would be my top choice, and if I want to stay a bit lively ( sort of ) I would pick might be a dark gun grey. Something like a Lamy 2000 or the Hero 981-1.

As a ringtop fancier, my pen is an integral part of my outfit. I dress casually at the office - we’re cartoonists - we live in obscurity - but I try to match silver with silver and gold with gold. A ringtop can be a way to fancy up an outfit instantly.

Pens and watches are instruments(they tell the time and you write with them), not accesories.

You want a fashion accessory? Buy this:

http://i68.tinypic.com/rhr0rd.jpg

I'd say it does not matter. As long as your pen does not make noise, vibrate, or flash like a strobe light, 99.99999% of people will not notice or care if you have a fountain pen and forget knowing it is a status symbol. They are more likely to think you are odd then showing off.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Different strokes for different cultures perhaps. But I would have only one issue with taking a pink pen to a business meeting and that is I don't happen to have a pink pen. Same with taking a 149 to a funeral if I still had a 149.

When I went to business meetings it was to contribute ideas and knowledge or to receive ideas and knowledge and it was the ideas and knowledge that were significant.

My Website

I know that expensive pens are often used by the rich as a status symbol, but do any of you actually pick a pen for your outfit like you would a watch?

Yes. Particularly if I am going somewhere with just one pen, rather than a case full. Ill consider jewelry and orher accessories. I like the pen (and its ink color) to be complementary, but not matchy matchy.

No, for funerals, I'd not dream of showing off, much less with a pen showing in my suit breast pocket. If a pen, then in the inside pen pocket of the suit jacket, for when you sign the book with a nib that gives flair.

A descent ring, nice cuff links and a good tie tac. Could go for a nice but not overly flashy folded handkerchief in the breast pocket of the suit. The old style thin wrist watch is worn under the long sleeve shirt, or under the jacket....not on the sleeve.

Funerals are not quite the place for a gold pocket watch and it's gold chain in your three piece suit. There's no place for one in a two piece suit.

OK, so it's pocket watches that is why I have 3 piece suits. :rolleyes:

IMO, one flashes discretely when flashing as is. Like you have had what ever watch or pen, for so long, it's just normal, not look at my Omega and snowflake.

A nice Pelikan is more discrete in such situations than 'even the Ball Point Barbarians' know what a snowflake is. You are not there to be admired, but to pay respects to the dead and their family.

At a funeral while in uniform, you aren't looking to show off, but you are looking to be crisp, clean, and wearing your best. So I'm not going to be wearing my $20 sprague stethoscope, I'm wearing my $500 Harvey. a $20,000 rolex may be a little much, and I have a few watches that are too shiny and big, so I don't wear my duty watch, but I wear my russian diving watch. but as long as it's not screaming "LOOK AT ME," a snowflake sticking out of a breast pocket looks a lot nicer than a simple steel clip, especially since I don't wear bars or a badge.

A public servant funeral is quite different from what you're thinking. They are a spectacle, put on specifically for the family. Look at any funeral procession for an officer, fireman, paramedic or military serviceman/woman. You would call a 21 gun salute very weird and ostentatious at a civilian funeral. It's normal for public servants.

Again, this is not about the optics of a funeral, it was more just a situation that prompted a question.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Depending on venue..Metropolitan Opera..perhaps a tuxedo.......Always a good excuse to get dressed up.

Pens are never a consideration..if I'm wearin' a jacket..they go inside jacket pocket....Showin'Off..WHAT?? That's Odd..Whatever floats your boat.....

By the way..I never considered any FP a status symbol....just a pen...and I never met a pen I didn't like................

Fred

Hard to imagine accessorizing a pen when the only thing visible is the clip and finial though I suppose a Pelikan M-series might fit the bill.

I do have some shirts with shallow pockets where only Sports fit snugly.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I'm apparently in the minority, but I do consider which pen to carry, depending on the "outfit" I'm wearing. I am retired and live in a warm climate. My "outfit" at least half the year consists of shorts and a colorful shirt, often a Hawaiian one. I also have many colorful pens that show their color above the clip in my shirt breast pocket. So, I do consider how the pen matches the shirt. It is a decorative accessory. I would not call it "bling," because I do not favor blingy pens.

On the rarer occasions I wear a suit or sports coat, I still generally carry a pen or two in my shirt breast pocket. On these more formal occasions, I would choose a more "conservative" pen, like a Pelikan M6**.

I never put a pen in a suit jacket outside breast pocket.

David