Funny Non-Pen People Stories.

Flippy

Hi, all

Does anyone have any good pen-related stories that happened with non-pen enthusiasts? I recently recalled the time when my parents were terrified when I had Diamine Oxblood ink on my hands (though I'm pretty sure that pen people would also get fooled into thinking it was blood), so I wondered if anyone else had any other funny encounters they'd like to share?

Josh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• ethernautrix

• Corona688

• inkstainedruth

I routinely get comments about why my fingers are blue. I always give the same answer, and it has something to do with sexual acts on Smurfs.

A nurse accidentally took the pen I give to nurses, my Fisher AG-7 (they don't have time to fuss with a fountain pen when the patient is flopping around and they need a pen) I called back like two hours after I realized, and the nurse went to extreme lengths to hide it from anyone for me.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Good for her.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 weeks later...

When I hand people uniball micros people turn them down because they look like "too fancy a pen". I don't think any pen sold in cheap ten-packs qualifies as too fancy...

When I hand people uniball micros people turn them down because they look like "too fancy a pen". I don't think any pen sold in cheap ten-packs qualifies as too fancy...

Hah! Wonder what they'd say about the 10-packs of "Hero 616" pens you can find on eBay.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I've gotten the same statement from handing people a $10 chinese pen. I wouldn't give it to you if I was worried you would (bleep) it up!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Hah! Wonder what they'd say about the 10-packs of "Hero 616" pens you can find on eBay.

I doubt they'd notice anything until they removed the cap. Torpedo pens have too many disposable imitations these days.

I've also had people freak out when I hand them my fisher AG-7. a ballpoint. Because it's shiny and heavy. I literally bought a second AG-7 for the sole purpose of giving to other people at work. A nurse asking for a pen doesn't have time to fuss, she needs to write something down NOW.

A lady of my acquaintance who is not quite a "non-pen" person, but not really interested, saw me using my Platinum 3776 Century, and asked if it was Montblanc.

A fellow who saw me using a Pilot FP 78G (basically an old, all plastic version of the Metropolitan) told me that I was being pretentious by using fountain pens, which were for doctors, lawyers, and business executives. He also told me that ballpoints were smoother.

Although I almost always use fountain pens, I'm likely to have a Fisher bullet Space Pen or Parker Jotter ballpoint along as backup. I'm about as likely to get a "nice pen" comment on those, if I lend one to someone, as I am on any of what I consider my most attractive fountain pens.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Most of the time when non-pen people notice what I'm writing with, it's with one of the Noodler's Konrads. The one time it wasn't it was the Vac Red Shadow Wave, and by the office people at my allergist's office. This year, I had the ebonite Konrad to sign in and to sign the credit card slip for the co-pay, and a Charlie pen with Kung Te Cheng to fill out the reminder postcard for my appointment in six months, but nobody batted an eye.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A fellow who saw me using a Pilot FP 78G (basically an old, all plastic version of the Metropolitan) told me that I was being pretentious by using fountain pens, which were for doctors, lawyers, and business executives. He also told me that ballpoints were smoother.

You need to show that person a Pelikan Twist and/or a Lamy ABC, or perhaps some of those Online College pens with the flashy graphics. I don't think anyone's going to think of those as pretentious.

"Why do you need another $200 pen? It's none of my business; it's your money. But you could buy ten pens for a dollar. I don't get it. Yeah. It's nice, but you already have a $200 pen." My ex-husband

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

"Why do you need another $200 pen? It's none of my business; it's your money. But you could buy ten pens for a dollar. I don't get it. Yeah. It's nice, but you already have a $200 pen." My ex-husband

With emphasis on the EX!

I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies. - loved this, and stole it!

In early middle school, with a Parker Vector in the vicinity: "What d' you mean you don't throw it away after the ink's over?"

What kind of idiot complains to his wife about how she spends her money.

I learned my lesson well before I even thought to criticize my wife for her $400 purse when I have spent more than that on meaningless junk

You need to show that person a Pelikan Twist and/or a Lamy ABC, or perhaps some of those Online College pens with the flashy graphics. I don't think anyone's going to think of those as pretentious.

Those are for doctors', lawyers', & business execs' kids. :P

I learned my lesson well before I even thought to criticize my wife for her $400 purse when I have spent more than that on meaningless junk

The kind of idiot who doesn't have an equivalent, uh, spending outlook? He was truly mystified. He didn't care how I spent my money; he just didn't understand why I'd want another $200 pen. Or the beautiful much more than $200 Pelikan Toledo 700. Et cetera. He didn't understand the pen thing at all. <laughs>

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

No you never ever try to argue with the opposite sex in the family, whether the wife, mom or just your sister .. the male member always end up losing the argument no matter what .... even if you are right about it .... and guess what I got last time I fish out and wanting to gift my sister a set of Montblanc .... let's just say that set still stay with me ... and my sister is no worse off still with just a no frill ballpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

Once while sitting in a meeting taking notes with my Dolcevita, I set it down for just a moment during a lull in the proceedings. By boss reached over and grabbed it and began scribbling stating, “Wow, I really like this thing. I writes nicely!” My friend across the table said, “Uh, you may not want to do that, he (meaning me) has kind of a ‘thing’ about pens.”

A little back story for everyone: I had just recently started in this division and was getting to know many people. Any time I have made such a transition, I meet with my staff and tell them a bit about myself. As an ice breaker, I tell them about my “pen thing.” I tell them it is a sickness I have and politely ask that they never grab a pen off of my desk. I reiterate that my stuff is their stuff and that they are welcome to use my office as needed. But please, for the love of all that is decent in this world, don’t touch my pens. I have told people I will give you the shirt off of my back if I have to, but won’t let you borrow my pen.

Back to the meeting. Seeing the horror in my face my boss asked, “what does something like this run? I wouldn’t mind having one. What’s it called?” Upon learning the name, having his laptop in front of him he immediately looked it up. As it popped up on the screen in all of its resplendent, black and orange beauty, his eyes wondered across the page to the price. With a very audible gasp, he slowly put the cap back on and placed it back on my notebook as gingerly as if he were handling an explosive device stating, “Yeah, I probably shouldn’t touch that.”