Best Pen Under $100? Best Pen Under $50?____ With A Franklin Christoph Nib.

IndigoBOB

After a year of dabbling and plunging into fountain pens and exploring the vast majority of the top selling pens up to $200 I simply know what I like: A smooth round medium (maybe even broad) nib in a comfortable pen. I have nibs tuned by Mike Masuyama (tunes specialty nibs for Franklin-Christoph!), Linda Kennedy, Richard Binder, and Mark Bacas, and I recommend their work highly, especially at a pen show.

But if someone asked me what the best pen under $50 or $100 dollars is, I’d simply tell them it’s any pen that can fit a Franklin-Christoph nib (Jowo #5 or #6).

Yes, they are a little bit more expensive than Jowo nibs and nib units out of the factory. F-C steel round nibs sell for $25 a piece, but I’ve found that they have saved me money and time trying to find that optimal writing experience.

Though I do find Jowo nibs out of the factory to be quite enjoyable and consistent, and I could safely recommend trying out a Goulet nib or one from Anderson’s, or FPnibs, I do find that Franklin-Christoph’s Jowo nibs provide a higher quality writing experience.

Franklin-Christoph tunes their nibs prior to shipping, and that honed smoothness decreases muscle effort, allows me to write more quickly, get more work done, and allows the pen to be more user-friendly. It feels like the nib can respond more to your own personal writing style, rather than forcing your writing style to have to accommodate more around the nib. It feels more like an extension of your hand rather than a separate tool to work around.

I myself have a bit of hand fatigue that can be an unfortunate barrier to my writing, and I find this higher level of quality to be a necessary and sufficient remedy. And when I use Sailor ink, like Kiwa-Guro (in a wet pen) or Doyou, I’m on cloud 9 and able to relax my hands, let go more, and let the work flow more easily, more enjoyably, and more therapeutically.

Now, I do have Franklin-Christoph pens at the top of my list of must haves, including the Model 66 Stabilis and Model 451 CDLI, but my budget isn’t always in accordance. I do like the Jinhao x750 and with an F-C nib, it costs only $30 and writes like a $100+ pen. I like Ebonite pens and I can purchase a Ranga without a nib for only $52, do the same, and have it write like a $100+ pen.

And there are many more pens these days using Jowo nib units.

In conclusion, from my experience Franklin-Chirstoph creates writing instruments that provide a higher quality writing experience that extends to being able to provide a $25 steel nib that can allow someone on a budget, or someone starting out, to not have to settle for anything less.

I think this is a testament to the persons that comprise this company who realize the essence of their stated philosophy of Strength and Honor. I find they have set a standard in the fountain pen world becoming integral part of this community.

I don’t typically write reviews or provide feedback as such, but sometimes something stands out that I feel is important.

Let me know what you think and if anything else stands out for you in a similar fashion.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoBOB

• Honeybadgers

• TSherbs

• NinthSphere

Could you do me a favor & use a smaller text size? :P That one only barely gives me a headache.

t

Just buy a platinum 3776 B nib. $70, 14k medium/broad line, well made.

Or, if you REALLY want to stick a FC #6 nib in it, just get a TWSBI vac700R in whatever nib you wand and stick the FC nib in it.

The PENBBS pens all take #6 nibs and are light and well made from acrylic. I find them to be easily on par with the FC pens themselves, for about $15-20

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Never tried a FC nib. I usually don't spend the extra money to replace nibs. Maybe some day. I just work a bit on my own nibs until they write how I like. I have the time, so why not?

Edited by TSherbs

Could you do me a favor & use a smaller text size? :P That one only barely gives me a headache.

t

No kiddin', terribly sorry. I wrote it in the Mac's Pages, and copy and pasted and now I'm trying to edit the size, but I'm having trouble finding the means to edit it. So here is a version in 14 font:

After a year of dabbling and plunging into fountain pens and exploring the vast majority of the top selling pens up to $200 I simply know what I like: A smooth round medium (maybe even broad) nib in a comfortable pen. I have nibs tuned by Mike Masuyama (tunes specialty nibs for Franklin-Christoph!), Linda Kennedy, Richard Binder, and Mark Bacas, and I recommend their work highly, especially at a pen show.

But if someone asked me what the best pen under $50 or $100 dollars is, I’d simply tell them it’s any pen that can fit a Franklin-Christoph nib (Jowo #5 or #6).

Yes, they are a little bit more expensive than Jowo nibs and nib units out of the factory. F-C steel round nibs sell for $25 a piece, but I’ve found that they have saved me money and time trying to find that optimal writing experience.

Though I do find Jowo nibs out of the factory to be quite enjoyable and consistent, and I could safely recommend trying out a Goulet nib or one from Anderson’s, or FPnibs, I do find that Franklin-Christoph’s Jowo nibs provide a higher quality writing experience.

Franklin-Christoph tunes their nibs prior to shipping, and that honed smoothness decreases muscle effort, allows me to write more quickly, get more work done, and allows the pen to be more user-friendly. It feels like the nib can respond more to your own personal writing style, rather than forcing your writing style to have to accommodate more around the nib. It feels more like an extension of your hand rather than a separate tool to work around.

I myself have a bit of hand fatigue that can be an unfortunate barrier to my writing, and I find this higher level of quality to be a necessary and sufficient remedy. And when I use Sailor ink, like Kiwa-Guro (in a wet pen) or Doyou, I’m on cloud 9 and able to relax my hands, let go more, and let the work flow more easily, more enjoyably, and more therapeutically.

Now, I do have Franklin-Christoph pens at the top of my list of must haves, including the Model 66 Stabilis and Model 451 CDLI, but my budget isn’t always in accordance. I do like the Jinhao x750 and with an F-C nib, it costs only $30 and writes like a $100+ pen. I like Ebonite pens and I can purchase a Ranga without a nib for only $52, do the same, and have it write like a $100+ pen.

And there are many more pens these days using Jowo nib units.

In conclusion, from my experience Franklin-Chirstoph creates writing instruments that provide a higher quality writing experience that extends to being able to provide a $25 steel nib that can allow someone on a budget, or someone starting out, to not have to settle for anything less.

I think this is a testament to the persons that comprise this company who realize the essence of their stated philosophy of Strength and Honor. I find they have set a standard in the fountain pen world becoming integral part of this community.

I don’t typically write reviews or provide feedback as such, but sometimes something stands out that I feel is important.

Let me know what you think and if anything else stands out for you in a similar fashion.

Edited by IndigoBOB

Just buy a platinum 3776 B nib. $70, 14k medium/broad line, well made.

Or, if you REALLY want to stick a FC #6 nib in it, just get a TWSBI vac700R in whatever nib you wand and stick the FC nib in it.

The PENBBS pens all take #6 nibs and are light and well made from acrylic. I find them to be easily on par with the FC pens themselves, for about $15-20

A 3776 B is on my list, I will say. I tried one a while ago but didn't end up purchasing it, but it's one I'd definitely go back to. I think it's one of the best value pens on the market OOTB, but I'm limited on the amount I can buy since it is $70, and I can't go and swap that nib into various pens.

-------

I agree, the TWSBI Vac700R is a great pen to swap an F-C into. I like that they kept that nib standard. The only thing that's kept me from getting it is the section shape. Especially with acrylic pens I prefer a more contoured shape like the Aurora 88, F-C Model 20, Ranga Model 3... and so on, but it's on my list. Besides the cracking issues TWSBI makes good functioning pens.

-------

I did not like the PenBBS nibs. I have the 309 and 308 and was disappointed with the nibs, though I found everything else about the designs very nice. I have had some good luck with putting #6 nibs in my 309, though the feed seems to be a little larger and may spread the tines in a way so that's important to keep in my mind, but I have placed some Goulet nibs in the 309 and had no problem.

The 308 I have unfortunately does not fit a #6 nib. I have heard reports of it fitting a 1.1 Jowo, but I haven't tried since I don't gravitate towards stubs, but the 308 I have will crunch a regular round nib.

Never tried a FC nib. I usually don't spend the extra money to replace nibs. Maybe some day. I just work a bit on my own nibs until they write how I like. I have the time, so why not?

I did OK with tuning nibs, but I found it easier to just get well finished product for an extra $10. That extra 10-25% improvement from what I could make made a large difference for me in writing faster, with more ease, more comfortably, and over all just feeling better.

Edited by IndigoBOB

I did OK with tuning nibs, but I found it easier to just get well finished product for an extra $10. That extra 10-25% improvement from what I could make made a large difference for me in writing faster, with more ease, more comfortably, and over all just feeling better.

Didn't you say that the FC nibs are $25?

Didn't you say that the FC nibs are $25?

The steel #6 ones are, yes..

I had to edit my previous post which originally said 10-25$, but I meant 10-25%. I find that that extra 10-25% improvement of tuning from my own capabilities made a large difference for me. And since I do really like Jowo Medium nibs, I wouldn't have to screw up my own to try and get that higher quality F-C nibs offer.

Edited by IndigoBOB

The steel #6 ones are, yes..

I had to edit my previous post which originally said 10-25$, but I meant 10-25%. I find that that extra 10-25% improvement of tuning from my own capabilities made a large difference for me. And since I do really like Jowo Medium nibs, I wouldn't have to screw up my own to try and get that higher quality F-C nibs offer.

roger that

A 3776 B is on my list, I will say. I tried one a while ago but didn't end up purchasing it, but it's one I'd definitely go back to. I think it's one of the best value pens on the market OOTB, but I'm limited on the amount I can buy since it is $70, and I can't go and swap that nib into various pens.

-------

I agree, the TWSBI Vac700R is a great pen to swap an F-C into. I like that they kept that nib standard. The only thing that's kept me from getting it is the section shape. Especially with acrylic pens I prefer a more contoured shape like the Aurora 88, F-C Model 20, Ranga Model 3... and so on, but it's on my list. Besides the cracking issues TWSBI makes good functioning pens.

-------

I did not like the PenBBS nibs. I have the 309 and 308 and was disappointed with the nibs, though I found everything else about the designs very nice. I have had some good luck with putting #6 nibs in my 309, though the feed seems to be a little larger and may spread the tines in a way so that's important to keep in my mind, but I have placed some Goulet nibs in the 309 and had no problem.

The 308 I have unfortunately does not fit a #6 nib. I have heard reports of it fitting a 1.1 Jowo, but I haven't tried since I don't gravitate towards stubs, but the 308 I have will crunch a regular round nib.

the 700R does not have cracking issues. It also has a very good grip, unless you like 'em REALLY hourglass, you will enjoy the vac700R unposted. it's a brilliantly balanced pen.

I pulled out my 323 and my 308 and can confirm that they accept a TWSBI nib, a goulet nib (standard JoWo) a Jinhao nib, conklin nib (not the omniflex) a knox nib, my custom 14k super flex JoWo, and a nemosine nib. All fit well with good feed contact and not too tightly.

The only nibs I have in #6 that did not fit are the conklin omniflex and the noodlers/FPR steel flex nib.

fpn_1533608183__20180806_191337.jpg

Still, if the option is a $50 pen of just saving my pennies for 3-4 weeks to get a 3776 B nib with a real 14k nib and great everyday build quality that fits pretty much every hand out there comfortably, I'd just save up for a few weeks.

But the penBBS pens are absolutely the better alternative to F-C in my mind. Especially since they are sold with tons of different styles, including piston fillers and all non-piston fillers are designed to be converter and eyedropper, and the colors are outstanding (just look at the white and blue swirl 323 I have. This color isn't made anymore, but there are a ton of new colors coming out all the time.

PenBBS is really the edison and FC of asia.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

the 700R does not have cracking issues. It also has a very good grip, unless you like 'em REALLY hourglass, you will enjoy the vac700R unposted. it's a brilliantly balanced pen.

I pulled out my 323 and my 308 and can confirm that they accept a TWSBI nib, a goulet nib (standard JoWo) a Jinhao nib, conklin nib (not the omniflex) a knox nib, my custom 14k super flex JoWo, and a nemosine nib. All fit well with good feed contact and not too tightly.

The only nibs I have in #6 that did not fit are the conklin omniflex and the noodlers/FPR steel flex nib.

Still, if the option is a $50 pen of just saving my pennies for 3-4 weeks to get a 3776 B nib with a real 14k nib and great everyday build quality that fits pretty much every hand out there comfortably, I'd just save up for a few weeks.

But the penBBS pens are absolutely the better alternative to F-C in my mind. Especially since they are sold with tons of different styles, including piston fillers and all non-piston fillers are designed to be converter and eyedropper, and the colors are outstanding (just look at the white and blue swirl 323 I have. This color isn't made anymore, but there are a ton of new colors coming out all the time.

PenBBS is really the edison and FC of asia.

There are reports of TWSBI 700R cracking issues, though I'm not seeing as many as the original 700:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294381-please-vote-has-your-twsbi-cracked/page-9

Despite that, the 700R did come to mind as a solid pen to swap in an F-C nib. I would still consider it, nonetheless. So I'll keep in mind your praise and I might give it a try sometime soon : )

The 700R section is a basic straight design. I wish it had a healthy flare at the end like an Aurora 88, or those flares on the Lamy Safari, Ranga Model 3, F-C Marietta, Karas Kustoms Starliners, ect. That's my preference otherwise my hands tend to slip around after longer writing sessions causing greater hand fatigue. I don't have the strongest writing hand, and I don't know if it's great for those with easy hand fatigue or arthritis.

--------

I'm glad to hear that there are new variations of the 308 that can fit a Jowo. That sounds promising.

My 308 could swap in a Jowo, but like others, I found that when I capped the pen it crunched the Jowo : (

---------

I don't disagree with you on the 3776 B, especially with that overseas purchase.

I agree, it is a basic design that is relatively agreeable to many. It's at the top of my list when it comes to recommending a pen as well.

But I like how there are many more pens out in the market that use a Jowo, which allows someone to hone in on their personal preference and swap in a fine tuned nib from F-C.

I like the 3776, but my preference for a workhorse pen, which is what I need, will always be an Ebonite pen. I love ebonite because the grip of the material reduces the effort to hold the pen reducing my hand fatigue. Let's just say that an Edison Menlo-Ebonite (and possibly an ebonite Huron) is on my mind lol....

-------

..... but like you say, and I agree, PenBBS is a great alternative for someone on a budget. I didn't have good luck with their nibs, but since you can swap in a Jowo, they make me happy, at least my 309 does : )

I'm on my second vac700R with a custom nib (first one was stolen in my backpack) and I've had no problems with either pen. Apart from general manufacturing quirks, I am a walking destruction test for pens that cost less than $200. As a paramedic, my pens get beat to hell.

The section is a medium size, and does have a modest flare out at the end that is much bigger than many other pens.

I just put a jowo nib in my 308 and you're right, it does pop a bit. Interesting! The 323 does not. Not does the 309 (piston filler with a clip) or the 267 (the desk pen with no clip and a long pretty tail,) so the other PenBBS pens are all golden for a FC nib.

A Ranga cartridge/converter pen should be on your list. If you want ebonite, get it from india. The 8C is a large, #6 ebonite pen with a clip, ebonite feed, and #6 nib. It can be had with a bock nib unit but you can swap in the JoWo, or just get the less expensive one and swap nibs right away.

I've heard great things about the conklin ebonite pens. They are also very unique ebonite patterns.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I'm on my second vac700R with a custom nib (first one was stolen in my backpack) and I've had no problems with either pen. Apart from general manufacturing quirks, I am a walking destruction test for pens that cost less than $200. As a paramedic, my pens get beat to hell.

The section is a medium size, and does have a modest flare out at the end that is much bigger than many other pens.

I just put a jowo nib in my 308 and you're right, it does pop a bit. Interesting! The 323 does not. Not does the 309 (piston filler with a clip) or the 267 (the desk pen with no clip and a long pretty tail,) so the other PenBBS pens are all golden for a FC nib.

A Ranga cartridge/converter pen should be on your list. If you want ebonite, get it from india. The 8C is a large, #6 ebonite pen with a clip, ebonite feed, and #6 nib. It can be had with a bock nib unit but you can swap in the JoWo, or just get the less expensive one and swap nibs right away.

I've heard great things about the conklin ebonite pens. They are also very unique ebonite patterns.

Well then, I might have to push the 700R higher up on my list and I'll research it some more : ) .... but it's behind a Ranga 3-shortened.

I like how the section of the 700R doesn't seem as tapered as the 580. I like the 580, but the section tapered too steeply into an undersized flare/lip for me. It always felt like I was trying to get a better grip and that's why I have my personal hesitations about the 700R. I may try the 580ALR with the new tactile grooves, but that is lower on my list.

--------------

I did actually order a Ranga 3-shortened (to the length of the Zayante) direct from Ranga in India. It arrived very quickly, but it arrived defective. The threads were botched so the cap would come loose if I capped it remotely tight. Besides that, the pen was nearly perfect for me and, like other Ranga's I've tried and have, it felt solid.

Ranga was no trouble with understanding and refunding me, but I willl be picking up new model 3's-Shortened in the next few months once my budget recovers from purchases of Ballpoints (I love the schmidt easyflow9000's I've had to use lately in my Parker Jotter's and rOtring Tikky's), Rollerballs (experimenting with Pilot V7 refills), nibs, and paper (I love personal and creative writing with a good nib on Tomoe River).

---------------

I tried the Conklin Classic Ebonite pens, and I will say that they were very solid pens IMO. Well made. But for me the section tapered too steeply to an undersized lip/flare, so that I never felt like I had a secure grip and was using too much effort to hold the pen.

One thing to maybe consider is adapting your hand to the pen and not vice versa. I find that this lets me use everything from the lamy CP-1 to the mont blanc 149 happily. It takes some practice, but the only pens I can't use are the slippery metal sections since I tend to have kind of oily fingertips, which I can't fix.

One thing to maybe consider is adapting your hand to the pen and not vice versa. I find that this lets me use everything from the lamy CP-1 to the mont blanc 149 happily. It takes some practice, but the only pens I can't use are the slippery metal sections since I tend to have kind of oily fingertips, which I can't fix.

That's a good suggestion. I do use the Lamy Vista-M (my knock around fountain pen). My problem is basically the same as yours. My hands get oily...

...but I have that compounded with easier onset of hand fatigue. I worked my hands too hard with manual labor and baseball when I was younger and my hands are feeling it these days. They apparently weren't up to the task my youth drove them through lol. And then these weakening hands get more oily as a result of fatiguing quicker.

So basically most acrylic pens will become slick for me if I use them for longer writing sessions, which is most of my writing, unless they assist my grip with that contouring shape like the Aurora 88, and other's I've mentioned.

This is why Ebonite is so valuable to me, and the Ranga Model 3-shortened hits many sweet spots for my preferences.

But I do find that if the pen has enough heft, but not too heavy, I need less of a tapered section and less of a flared lip, and actually the Jinhao x750 hits a good sweet spot for me. In fact that soft taper up from the section to the body contours the weighted pen into my fingers quite agreeably.

This is why I'd also consider the TWSBI 700r since it may have a nice heft, but doesn't taper like the 580, and that straight section design may work descently.

Edit: I might give it a try, but right now I'd rather get Ranga Model 3's (shortened) and save up for an Edison Ebonite Menlo.

Edited by IndigoBOB