Expensive Parker 45 Matte Black/tx?

Dutchparker

I saw this listing on ebay of a beautiful Parker 45 TX Matte BLACK, it is listed for 625 US dollars. Coudn't find a similar one. Is this one so special and word the money? Hope to here your opinion about it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Extremely-Rare-Parker-45-TX-Matte-BLACK-GT-Fountain-Pen-F-Nib-UK-Q1-1994/132582572784?hash=item1ede8982f0%3Ag%3ATVoAAOSweMVa0k%7E4&_sacat=0&_nkw=parker+45+matte+black&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hood

• baz666

• rochester21

• dadbar

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a Coronet. Worth a bit more than a 45, but not that much. Nice pen. They also made it in red. I had the black one years ago, but sold it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Wouldnt a Coronet have a long gold tailpiece and the halo insignia below the clip? This does appear to be one of the epoxy-finished TX variants that are heavier and more scratch-resistant than the aluminum-bodied Coronets. Rare, yes. Nice, yes. But its still a P45, so the price appears overinflated based on sales prices for other higher-value variants such as the similar brown epoxy version from Argentina, the blue TX, the various Harlequins, etc. But of course, if someone is willing to pay...

Parker 45 Coronets do have the tailpiece, plus they also have a larger Parker logo on the cap that is squared with rounded corners. They are made from aluminium rather than steel. I have one in black and it has the gold tailpiece.

One of these black metal 45 pens appeared on ebay UK recently. It was very cheap because there were some slight dings on the finish. It went for about the same price as a regular plastic Parker 45. A small fraction of the price in that ebay listing.

That is a Coronet. Worth a bit more than a 45, but not that much. Nice pen. They also made it in red. I had the black one years ago, but sold it.

No, not a Coronet. This is a U.K. made P45 Black TX.

I used to have a set of three.

fpn_1533286822__45_black_tx.jpg

Somewhat uncommon but they do exist.

These are P45 Coronets for reference.

fpn_1533286984__453.jpg

Regarding the price of the pen in the OP's post,

well, If it does sell for that price, all I can say is that some people have a lot more disposable income than me. :huh:

Paul.

Yes this is the epoxy coated black 'TX' model, although Parker never called the black ones TX, only the blue ones with the gold button on the barrel. This black version is probably my favourite P45 and the one I use most. The ones I've seen have the same 1994 date code as this, not all the same quarter. They are hard to come by, true enough, and a price is hard to peg with items in scant supply, but I think the seller is being very optimistic with the price.

well, If it does sell for that price, all I can say is that some people have a lot more disposable income than me. :huh:

Yes, me too!

You can get a matte black Parker 75 for a fraction of that...and it is a much better pen.

Better still, you can get a matte black Cross Century for 10% of that price and it will write as well. From personal experience, the Cross matte finish is more durable than the Parker version.

My mileage varies, give me the P45 every time :)

The 75 looked the part, but failed because of its small size and cluttered section. Might work for smaller female hands though. The nib performance is nothing special.

So yeah, the 45 is a better pen. Easier to hold, easier to write with, cheaper, the nib has its own character etc.