The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bit!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MusterMark

MusterMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:58

I never really got the appeal of Esterbrooks. Was always tempted by the Parkers and Sheaffers more. Then a few weeks ago I found a blue J series, restored, in an antique mall for $20. I thought, what the heck. Its a no brainer at $20.

Since that first one, Ive bought 5 more on eBay. They're so easy to restore. And I havent found a bad nib yet. Ive always loved Lamy Safaris, and these feel like a more grown-up version of that idea.

In short, I got bit by the bug hard. I was totally wrong, guys. Esties are awesome!

Edited by MusterMark, 02 August 2018 - 12:10.

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 16:26

I was bitten by the bug that gives you the fever.  It was interesting.  Try the different types.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2018 - 21:54

Always happy am I to extend a warm "Welcome to Estyville!" to a new enthusiast. Also love those Parkers & Sheaffers.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,706 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 23:12

Even with all of the fancy pens I've worked on, and have owned, I never pass up an Esterbrook at a reasonable price.  The nicest writing pen I own, bar none, is a Visumaster with a 9668 nib.  I have I am afraid, caused many people to covet when I hand them the pen to try.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#5 MusterMark

MusterMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 00:22

Thanks!

Always happy am I to extend a warm "Welcome to Estyville!" to a new enthusiast. Also love those Parkers & Sheaffers.

#6 MusterMark

MusterMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 00:23

I was bitten by the bug that gives you the fever.  It was interesting.  Try the different types.

I have a dollar pen coming through the mail this weekend. ;)

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,683 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 00:32

I never really got the appeal of Esterbrooks. Was always tempted by the Parkers and Sheaffers more. Then a few weeks ago I found a blue J series, restored, in an antique mall for $20. I thought, what the heck. Its a no brainer at $20.

Since that first one, Ive bought 5 more on eBay. They're so easy to restore. And I havent found a bad nib yet. Ive always loved Lamy Safaris, and these feel like a more grown-up version of that idea.

In short, I got bit by the bug hard. I was totally wrong, guys. Esties are awesome!

Yeah, Esties are like potato chips.  You can't have just one....  Weirdly, it took me a long time to actually get a blue one (I'm still kicking myself over not picking up that first blue one when I had the chance, but back then I didn't know enough about vintage pens -- it amused the heck out of me, though, because it had the imprint for some insurance company in NW Pennsylvania).

So what nibs do you have on yours?  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 00:45

Welcome aboard!

#9 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 812 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2018 - 22:32

I have a dollar pen coming through the mail this weekend. ;)

Uh Oh ... dare we predict discovery of the legendary Visumaster in your future???

Such as .....

http://www.esterbrook.net/j.shtml

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#10 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• 950 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 17:00

Yes, like the 3 "P"'s often found for free in Pa bars 

Esties are addictive.

For the entry price, you can not beat them

Want a different nib, just  buy a replacement  nib cartridge  and swap it out, no need for a second pen

Simply engineered  and are  truly maintenance free 

I can not tell you how many time I have removed the section to find the Factory branded sac still soft and pliable

No pen maker of that time ever gave more value for your money.

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#11 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 18:45

They are. (awesome) 

I've heard interesting history of Estie's used out in field work where a reliable pen was an essential tool 

Plus even "I" was able to resac an Estie. (causing no harm) ;-) 

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#12 MusterMark

MusterMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2018 - 14:22

Yeah, Esties are like potato chips.  You can't have just one....  Weirdly, it took me a long time to actually get a blue one (I'm still kicking myself over not picking up that first blue one when I had the chance, but back then I didn't know enough about vintage pens -- it amused the heck out of me, though, because it had the imprint for some insurance company in NW Pennsylvania).

So what nibs do you have on yours?  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

The one sitting at my desk has a 9668 nib, which is just fantastic. All of the others have 2xxx level mediums, fines, or extra fines. They all write great, though!

#13 MusterMark

MusterMark

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2018 - 14:22

They are. (awesome) 

I've heard interesting history of Estie's used out in field work where a reliable pen was an essential tool 

Plus even "I" was able to resac an Estie. (causing no harm) ;-) 

I could definitely see that. They're very pretty and always seem to be the most undamaged of the vintage pens I've seen "in the wild."

Sponsored Content

|