Is There A Really Good Tutorial On How To To Use A Pilot Parallel Pen?

djmaher

Hello all.

I recently came upon a set of Pilot Parallel pens, and I want to learn the basics of using them properly.

Can someone direct me to a place to begin, preferably with videos? Preferably something here at FPN? I have looked through YouTube a bit, but I'm looking for additional help to get started.

My pens are all inked, using converters for now. I've used fountain pens for awhile, but I know my writing experience with the Pilot is alot different.

I hope to use them creatively for calligraphy and such at some point, but for now I'm looking for tips and tricks as to use and holding the pen, etc. I'm not at all familiar with writing any form of calligraphy, so maybe I want to slowly learn both at the same time.

I will admit that I struggle with my regular handwriting as well, with regular fountain pens, so I imagine I'll need to try to break a few old habits of penmanship. It probably won't hurt to improve my regular writing, so, maybe I can do both at the same time.

I have a fair selection of FP inks to choose from, so even suggestions as to ink would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smk

• Chmara

• djmaher

• Torrilin

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s... a pen? It makes marks?

Mostly I draw with mine. Due to the design it’s basically impossible to use it in a way where it won’t make a mark. And unlike a regular broad edged nib, you can get marks even if you’re holding the pen “wrong”. You can also get some pretty weird or interesting marks out of it.

I believe mine has only been fed Platinum Carbon Black. It’s my favorite ink and it’s very flexible for art purposes so *shrugs*. I’m sure plenty of other inks can work, just I tend to start a pen on a nice boring ink and go from there.

From the way you are phrasing things, it sounds like you’ve seen some of the various glamour vids of a parallel being used for calligraphy or typography reproduction. And basically, those all rely on knowing the fundamentals of whatever hand it is that is being demonstrated. And mostly video is useless for learning calligraphy. Any edged nib style can work, provided you have suitable stroke diagrams to start with. The usual rec around here (and most places) is one version or another of a Getty/Dubay book on Italic. If you want free resources, WetCanvas has some very in depth tutorials on edged pen hands. If you want a book that isn’t considered out of print by most bookstores, Noble and Mehigan’s Calligraphy for Beginners isn’t bad.

SO the hours and hours I have spent on You-Tube and searching the big G have not been wasted -- but have been repetitious in content for many of the entries. Looking for a nugget to extract in each is futile.

Beng a lefty I did see a few*(very few) (Maybe 1) that might be useful with left handers NOT mentioning they suffered the handicap some of use face. Watching the technique of the lefties is interesting in noting the hold and draw direction of the pens -- but if your hand does not work that way at the wrist -- good luck and happy carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have, though, in looking closely at broad pen (calligrasphy7 dip) techniques able to get some ideas.

This all says to me that Pilot should commission or support such a manual even if only for right handers, selling it for as few bucks as possible to promote the very useful Parallel pen. After all look at what how Speedball has kept calligraphy going with their re-print after reprint materials over the years.

THEN -- wisheful thinking -- how to use the Parallel model left handed (show stroke directions and holds) or follow the lead of some by grinding a LEFT HANDED set or issuing a You-Tube on how to do it and not ruin several pens in the process -- which is discouraging to we on fixed incomes.

Otherwise, unless some left handers -- and/or some Pilot Pen users decide to make some You-Tube stuff or PDF style manuals, we are not in luck as of yet.

@Chmara

It is indeed a little difficult for left handed scribes to get the required nib angle on the paper. I recommend and teach my left handed students with a left oblique cut pen or dip nib. You can also get modified Pilot Parallel pens that are oblique.

There are also left oblique cut dip nibs available.

- Salman

Salman -

As an olde (almost ancient) retiree on fixed income the acquisition of pre-cut oblique Parallel pens is out of reach -- so with some old blade stones and such I am trying to modify the aluminum nibs I have, hoping not to ruin the pen beyond any use. Under nibs I have a question about oblique angles and smoothing the grand, which is now on Arkansas stone and mylar.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you know of where economic but quality oblique materials are available -- please let me know so I can start skipping lunch to save up.

@Chmara

You can find left handed dip nibs at both Paper & Ink Arts and John Neal Bookseller.

Dip nibs and straight holders are fairly inexpensive. A good set of nibs will last a long time if used with care. I have broad edge nibs in use for 10 years that have many more years left in them.

You can easily grind a nib yourself. Use around 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper to do the shaping and 2000 grit for the smoothing. It takes a bit of finesse to get the edge completely straight and smooth the corners but it is nothing that can't be achieved with a bit of fine tuning.

- Salman

• 2 months later...

I hope to use them creatively for calligraphy and such at some point, but for now I'm looking for tips and tricks as to use and holding the pen, etc. I'm not at all familiar with writing any form of calligraphy, so maybe I want to slowly learn both at the same time.

Standard Pilot Parallel pens are not tricky to use. If you're teaching yourself I recommend printing out a page of a simple italic alphabet and using an appropriate width Parallel pen with tracing paper to get a feel for how to hold the pen and mimic the letters. Start with a 45 degree angle on the blade for italic.