The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

August: Complementary Colours - 2018 Monthly Ink Combo Project

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:56

Happy summer/winter! For August, do a combination of complementary colours. (There is more than one model to define "complementary colours", apparently. See for example Wikipedia here.)

Click here to read more about the 2018 project.

Edited by Lgsoltek, 01 August 2018 - 09:12.

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,471 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2018 - 17:55

That Wikipedia link was interesting (I just skimmed it due to time constraints, but really want to read it in depth at some point). 

The charts on the side of the different complementary colors reminded me so much of the Josef Albers color theory assignments from my freshman year Color and Design 1 class (except that we used little squares of the complementary color instead of the larger ovals.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:43

For this challenge, I took the traditional path with blue/yellow as complementary colours. Since I love the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio series of inks, I went with L'Heure Dorée for the yellow ink, and Oconto for the blue.

A big thank you to Lg for keeping this great ink challenge series going - always good for a couple of fun hours. I've embedded a small tribute in the drawing... if you can crack the code ;-)

fpn_1533378890__201808_-_complementary_i

#4 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:51

For this challenge, I took the traditional path with blue/yellow as complementary colours. Since I love the L'Artisan Pastellier Callifolio series of inks, I went with L'Heure Dorée for the yellow ink, and Oconto for the blue.

A big thank you to Lg for keeping this great ink challenge series going - always good for a couple of fun hours. I've embedded a small tribute in the drawing... if you can crack the code ;-)

It's gorgeous! Thank you!

I can guess the symbols stand for LGSOLTEK, and that "top right corner with a dot" symbol is the letter L. I can't figure out where the sequence starts and in which direction though.  :D

#5 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:58

I have this prepared for a long time. Once I knew we were gonna do a complementary colours combo, I knew I had to do this:

fpn_1533380096__img_6287.jpg

A pastiche of Martial Raysse's Made In Japan: La Grande Odalisque, with Diamine Meadow and Sailor Irori. It's one of my favourites paintings in Centre Pompidou.

The original looks like this:

made-in-japan-la-grande-odalisque-1964.j

#6 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2018 - 13:12

fpn_1533388311__img_4538.jpg

fpn_1533388326__img_4539.jpg

fpn_1533388340__img_4540.jpg

fpn_1533388353__img_4542.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#7 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:39

I had a good time reading and learning about complementary colors for this month. I remember learning the RYB color model back in elementary school, but we never learned about any pairs besides the primary and secondary colors, and it never really occurred to me that there would be complementary pairs for all of the “in-between” colors. After some thought, I wound up choosing RO Tranquility and KWZ Grapefruit (based on the color star’s “teal-vermilion” pair). 

fpn_1533440152__08_august.jpg

#8 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:40

I have this prepared for a long time. Once I knew we were gonna do a complementary colours combo, I knew I had to do this:

A pastiche of Martial Raysse's Made In Japan: La Grande Odalisque, with Diamine Meadow and Sailor Irori. It's one of my favourites paintings in Centre Pompidou.

This is super cool!

#9 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:37

I can guess the symbols stand for LGSOLTEK, and that "top right corner with a dot" symbol is the letter L. I can't figure out where the sequence starts and in which direction though.  :D

+1 for deductive skills ;-) You can google “Masonic Cipher” for the code used... a quite popular ciphercode when I was a teen.

#10 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 08:42

I have this prepared for a long time. A pastiche of Martial Raysse's Made In Japan: La Grande Odalisque, with Diamine Meadow and Sailor Irori. It's one of my favourites paintings in Centre Pompidou.

Great drawing for presenting these complementary colours. Excellent choice of subject!

#11 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:39

fpn_1533388311__img_4538.jpg

I see you're matching pens and inks again  :D

#12 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:40

+1 for deductive skills ;-) You can google “Masonic Cipher” for the code used... a quite popular ciphercode when I was a teen.

That looks cool! And it's easy to remember as well.

#13 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:40

I had a good time reading and learning about complementary colors for this month. I remember learning the RYB color model back in elementary school, but we never learned about any pairs besides the primary and secondary colors, and it never really occurred to me that there would be complementary pairs for all of the “in-between” colors. After some thought, I wound up choosing RO Tranquility and KWZ Grapefruit (based on the color star’s “teal-vermilion” pair). 

fpn_1533440152__08_august.jpg

I love that doodle!

#14 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:58

Loving both of these colours, and the image . . .

I, ADORE this piece from you. It may well replace the 54 Kyonooto ink sample page as my favourite post of yours . . .  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by Tas, 05 August 2018 - 12:11.

#15 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 4,200 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2018 - 16:08

My very lame attempt at drawing, which I don't do very often at all…

Sunset over water drawing 20180810.jpg

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#16 Noihvo

Noihvo

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,714 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2018 - 18:34

fpn_1534012425__img_4560.jpg

fpn_1534012442__img_4561.jpg

fpn_1534012456__img_4562.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Are you looking for a custom bound book? Check out my Etsy page.

#17 EBGBs

EBGBs

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:31

Some great colour matches and new ink discoveries this month again. Thank you all for your entries.

Lgsoltek; i love how you extracted the very essence of that painting  in your version. It is in no way less attractive and less mysterious as the original painting to me. And it seems Diamine meadow has hints of a sheen reminiscent of the orange background? It's beautiful.

I went with a red/ cyan match; the red being Monteverde Ruby, and the turquoise is R&K Blu Mare. I found absolutely nothing to write  -_-

20180818_152250b.jpg

The ultimate test; invert the colours in a software: not spot on, but close enough

20180818_152250c.jpg

#18 crahptacular

crahptacular

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 August 2018 - 23:09

The color inversion is a really neat idea! I tried it with mine to see how close my choices were (so I cheated and adjusted lightness until the colors weren't totally neon, but didn't mess with the hues).

fpn_1534719766__08_august_invert2.jpg

#19 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,457 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2018 - 18:28

Some great colour matches and new ink discoveries this month again. Thank you all for your entries.
Lgsoltek; i love how you extracted the very essence of that painting  in your version. It is in no way less attractive and less mysterious as the original painting to me. And it seems Diamine meadow has hints of a sheen reminiscent of the orange background? It's beautiful.

I went with a red/ cyan match; the red being Monteverde Ruby, and the turquoise is R&K Blu Mare. I found absolutely nothing to write  -_-

20180818_152250b.jpg

The ultimate test; invert the colours in a software: not spot on, but close enough
20180818_152250c.jpg

Thank you for your kind words! Indeed Diamine Meadow has a slight sheen of yellow/gold.

Your colour inversion is a neat trick! (But I think it works only for complementary colours according to the RGB additive model, not for the traditional RGB subtractive model.)

#20 Newjelan

Newjelan

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,508 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2018 - 02:50

fpn_1535338132__august_2018_1.png

fpn_1535338189__august_2018_2.png

Sponsored Content

|