Need A Nice Blue Ink For School

CheesyWalnut

I need a nice blue ink for school that can stand out from pencil easily and works well with medium quality paper like printer paper and notebooks. Ive been using iroshizuku shin kai, but it seems a little bland and does not really stand out on paper, I tried sailor Yonaga but its almost the same color as shin kai.

Can anyone reccomend a vibrant and saturated blue or dark blue ink that is just blue without any purple or green tones? Ill be using a pilot vp fine most of the time. Thanks for your help.

Edited by CheesyWalnut

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goldberg

• GJMekenkamp

• Aquaria

• Noihvo

You could try Noodler's Legal Blue or Noodler's Bernanke Blue (if using cheap notebooks.)

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

I like Noodlers Liberty Elysium for some permanence. I had bad experiences of notes washing away. Though if you're careful enough to not have that problem, Diamond Majestic Blue is a nice dark blue. I had to dilute mine a bit but it's a decent ink. Stains your hands like crazy though.

Edited by PanDeBer

I uses Monteverde Sapphire, it's a very nice blue... it also perform well on generic A4 paper, it does have a bit of ghosting, but no bleed through.. but this is not a permanent ink.. so dont spill any water on your homework if you are using this ink

9VWGsSM.jpg

34C5g17.jpg

No problem even when use with pilot plumix 1.0 stub (this is an older picture, picture above are fresh), so this is probably a good ink for cheap paper.. like the generic A4 paper that I uses daily in office.

wGL4FcN.jpg

but if you want a permanent blue ink that works well on cheap paper, nothing beat Noodler's Baystate blue.. the only problem is that ink is very staining ink, so dont use it on any pen that have clear parts.. unless you dont mind it being died blue..

Edited by calvin_0

Viscontie Blue, is pretty vivid.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Another vote for Visconti blue. And Diamine Blue-Black is pretty well-behaved. Ive never had a pen stained by that ink but it does take FOREVER to come out of pens.

Another vote for Monteverde Sapphire, or its brother Monteverde Horizon Blue, which is brighter/lighter. Diamine Blue Velvet is another intense blue, very close to Monteverde Sapphire. Pilot Blue Black is another nice blue that has good water resistance, available in fairly inexpensive large bottles(on Amazon),and is frequently recommended on various threads here on FPN as a good every day Ink. It isn’t very vibrant compared with the other blues mentioned, and seems more blue than blue black, but fine for note taking, and well behaved.

I was just going to suggest Monteverde Sapphire but I see others have beaten me to it. :)

Pilot Blue is pretty vivid, and if you want something darker Pilot Blue Black is also a good option.

Platinum Blue or Blue Black might be just what you want. I think it looks a bit nicer than the Pilot equivalents, and it behaves better on bad paper. Goulet doesn't seem to have samples of it, but I found a place online that sells small (30cc) bottles of it for less than $5 plus shipping.

http://www.theinkflow.com/

So you can try it, and if you hate it you won't have spent too much and you won't have too much ink on your hands. :)

- N

Pick your poison, I use Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Tomoe River, Fabriano and HP LJ 32 lbs, but we don't all have access to these or the disposition to spend on paper. Some of these pens have a bit of cellophane to make inks come out lighter. It's interesting how the Metropolitan also glides on copy paper, the other pens do well but you can tell it's a rougher road for them.

fpn_1533072565__blues_and_copy_paper.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Schneider blue cartridges cheap and performs well.

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

The two superstars of this world are Noodlers Liberty's Elysium, an eye-searingly potent blue with some good permanence and good manners on bad paper. I use this in all of my patient charts becuase the color is a super neutral blue and it tends to laugh at water. I've also had no problems with staining in a plastic demonstrator, even when left inked for close to six months of occasional use.

If price is a concern and you are willing to have an ink a little more dark and subdued, pilot blue black can be found in 350ml bottles for under $20, has heavy permanence, good shading, some red sheen, good manners on bad paper, and is both very professional and just blue enough to really stand out on the page.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Waterman Serenity Blue is always a good blue, and I recommend Diamine Majestic Blue if you want a saturated dark blue ink which is different from most blue-black inks like Shin-Kai. Most blue-black inks I've ever experienced are too unsaturated in my standard.

Diamine Majestic Blue has a pink sheen, so it may have some flow issue depending on the nib you are using. Then adding just some water to it can solve the issue.

Schneider blue cartridges cheap and performs well.

I have recently discovered these in the local stationary store and have been very happy with their performance. I haven't really tested how waterproof they are but they do seem to be better than Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue I'd been using before in that regard - which of course is not surprising as I believe Pelikan 4001 is designed to be easy to wash out of clothes.