Jinhao 250

l0xd

So, what is the Jinhao 250? It's a little pen I came across while sifting through eBay. And really, I didn't think much of it. I assumed I would just buy it and give it to one of my friends who ask me about fountain pens and always say how they'd like to try one. The pen will only run you $3-5 USD. So I decided to buy it. Took about a month to come, but that was expected. When I first took it out of the box, I just knew there was something in this pen. It had a really nice weight to it, and the whole body was steel with a black plastic circle on the end of the cap. It looked like something that costed more. But I knew looks weren't everything. I uncapped the pen and saw the nib. It was designed very nicely and it definitely looked like the fine nib that I ordered. Then I inked it up. Writes like a dream. The nib is NOT what you would expect from a $3 pen. It even had a bit of flex to it. So I took it to school. It never let down on me. No leaking or nib drying out. 2 months later the pen is still performing great, although the gold trim does get scratched easily. Overall, a 4 star pen at a 5 star price.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oneill

• sansenri

• Honeybadgers

• l0xd

It is a nice, well made pen. Only thing I don't like about it is it's very top heavy, almost unusable if posted, and some models (the yellow, orange finish etc) won't actually post at all. Of course, if you prefer to write with an unposted pen, you're in luck!

I'm going to stick with the Baoer 388 as my favourite Chinese pen, closely followed by the Baoer 801.

The Jinhao nibs are not too bad, they are usually very smooth and write well, although being rather stiff.

I don't like the section of the 250 so much, I find it uncomfortable. Much nicer the section of the X750 (which is still a 4 dollar pen...).

In general they are heavy pens, but can be ok if used unposted. The X750 is a rather big pen (which can be nice), but reasonably balanced unposted.

Converters are hit or miss, often they work badly (more than once I found myself spending more on swapping the converter with a good one, than on the chinese pen itself).

The X450-X500-X750 are decent pens at a low cost.

I agree with Lloyd_G though, among the Chinese pens the Baoer 388 is a really nice pen (Parker Sonnet replica) which does work very well (together with the Kaigelu 382)

• 4 weeks later...

I am SO Glad that you boys like b0th the Jinhao /and the Baoer, I used to edit for the Jinha/Baoer website and I always liked them ,I have a very large collection of them both They are the best pen by far because of their

affordability, I have had the pleasure of naming many of them can I recommend that you enhance your collection by buying a pen which has 2 names it is The Abalone or The Mother of Pearl they are just beautiful I named them

both and have 3 in my collection, don't pay more than $15.00 for them they are sometimes advertised as the 8802 I think.Trust Me, Oneill

Edited by oneill

be careful with it. the cap liner is the snap cap as well, and with my 250, it became so loose that the sucker just falls off.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

So, what is the Jinhao 250? It's a little pen I came across while sifting through eBay. And really, I didn't think much of it. I assumed I would just buy it and give it to one of my friends who ask me about fountain pens and always say how they'd like to try one. The pen will only run you $3-5 USD. So I decided to buy it. Took about a month to come, but that was expected. When I first took it out of the box, I just knew there was something in this pen. It had a really nice weight to it, and the whole body was steel with a black plastic circle on the end of the cap. It looked like something that costed more. But I knew looks weren't everything. I uncapped the pen and saw the nib. It was designed very nicely and it definitely looked like the fine nib that I ordered. Then I inked it up. Writes like a dream. The nib is NOT what you would expect from a $3 pen. It even had a bit of flex to it. So I took it to school. It never let down on me. No leaking or nib drying out. 2 months later the pen is still performing great, although the gold trim does get scratched easily. Overall, a 4 star pen at a 5 star price.

Hi There I am SO glad that you are now happy to give credit where it should be given as a person who did edit the webpages of this very great pen maker now yo may be glad to afford more from

this brand and start buying more of this fabulous maker whos pens are so affordable everyone can have a very large collection like ME,I have had the pleasure of naming many of their pens over the years and would recommend a pen which if you want to

enhance your collection it has two names why I don't know know why Jinhao insisted on me giving it

two names one is The Abalone pen.or the other is The Mother of Pearl pen,just wait until you see it you will be glad you bought it regards, Oneill. let me know if you like it.

Edited by oneill