Problem With Pilot C823

roronoa_zoro

Hello everyone!

I purchased my C823 around 4 months ago. Ever since the day I got the pen, I have faced some ink flow issues. The pen just stops writing after 15 mins of usage, even though there is plenty of ink in the pen. Then I have to do some piston pull push thing in order to write with it again.

I would like to know if there is any good nibmeister in India that could repair the pen. Everything else about this pen is perfect though. I had high exceptions from this C823. It has been so long and at this point, I would even mind even selling the pen tbh.

:(

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• roronoa_zoro

• Mew

• J_MM

• BRBA

Top Posters In This Topic

When writing, do you have the filler know unscrewed and pulled back 1-2mm?

From my understanding and experience with the filling system in other pens, this is necessary as the end of the plunger blocks the feed off from the reservoir in the body.

Have you tried different inks? I have found some inks to be sticky in this pen exactly as you describe. Pilot inks and Sailor inks have always been good and are generally wet.

Not sure why this was posted in the India sub-forum. Anyway,

Which nib do you have on 823?

Exactly what all inks did you try in it? Unless it's sailor and Pilot with finer nibs, it will give you problems only. Waterman and other European inks will not flow.

I have a fine nib. I posted it in the India sub forum because I wanted to know if there was some Indian nibmeister that could fix this.

I have a fine nib. I posted it in the India sub forum because I wanted to know if there was some Indian nibmeister that could fix this.

Use Pilot inks only. You won't have any problems then.

Give it a thorough wash after cleaning the pen including the nib with water mixed with a drop of dishwasher liquid. This pen works well with most inks.

I have used almost 10 types of inks with the pen including pilot inks like kon peki and asa gao. The pen has been cleaned with clean water plenty of times. I also tried the goulet brass sheets but even that doesn't work.

Brian Goulet posted a video showing how to remove the tiny O-ring at the end of the plunger. This did wonders for the flow of my 823. Of course, when it has been removed, you might not want to fly with it :-)

Dave

Brian Goulet posted a video showing how to remove the tiny O-ring at the end of the plunger. This did wonders for the flow of my 823. Of course, when it has been removed, you might not want to fly with it :-)

I also recommend this. Very easy procedure. I have two 823s. Neither of them suffers from ink starvation with any ink.

I would also suggest contacting Pilot.

My experience is it is more than a matter of unscrewing the plunger; one must also pull it out a short distance or it will act in the manner you describe.

Odd question - what ink are you using? This could be your issue.

Never really thought about it till mid last week (and forgot to post here when I found out). Some inks are very good at creating a strong surface tension and not flowing through gaps. For me this includes Robert Oster Fire and ice.

I have two 823s, both used at work. One, an amber pen with a medium nib, is loaded up with Ro Fire and Ice (first fill - can't remember what I used before but did not have the same problem). The other, a black pen with the FA nib, is filled with Diamine SBRE Brown.

Last week my amber pen was drying out so I unscrewed the top, as we normally would. To my surprise the pen dried out. When i took a look I noticed the ink was sitting above the seal washer and I had to tap the side of the pen to get it to flow past, after which the pen was able to write again. I've tested a few times, always the same. I looked at the other pen and experimented - no such problem. Net result the viscosity of the ink (I assume) caused the affect - this may be the real problem for the OP.

The pen has been cleaned with clean water plenty of times.

Have you cleaned it with anything else? For example, a 1:10 ammonia/water solution with 1 drop of dish soap followed by a series of plain water rinses is very often used to rinse out stubborn manufacturing oils.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde