Sheaffer Vfm

Wandering Man

I was out of town on business a few weeks ago and the two pens I brought were in danger of running dry, so I found an Office Depot and picked up a Sheaffer VFM. I wasn't sure whether it came with any cartridges, so I bought a 5-pack of Sheaffer ink carts.

Well,it did come with its own ink cartridge, and I was glad I bought the inexpensive pen, since I ran of ink before I was through with my two interviews.

Now I'm back home, and the pen has run dry. I opened the package of Sheaffer Classic Cartridges, only to discover they do not fit this Sheaffer pen. Sheaffer's website tells me that this pen takes the Euro cartridge.

It says nothing about converters.

Is there a converter that fits this pen, or will I have to forever feed it with cartridges?

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wandering Man

• davefoe

• mitto

• SoulSamurai

Yeah, they responded to my email. No converter :(

Oh well, I now have plenty of cartridges to empty and then refill with colored inks.

It should end up being a good travel / back-up pen. I like the way writes.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

I bought one of these pens and didn't think it wrote very well. Kind of skippy and not a great flow. I also think it is ridiculous that it does not take regular Sheaffer cartridges. To me, this makes no sense. I suppose this is a pen basically intended for overseas markets that use international cartridges, but why it is marketed as a Sheaffer is a good question. I think a Sheaffer pen ought to use Sheaffer cartridges. And yes, Sheaffer makes a pack of these cartridges, but only in black and possibly blue, I believe. Not impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a converter that fits this pen, or will I have to forever feed it with cartridges?

I just found this thread so my apologies for the late reply. I have found that a Monteverde mini converter with the knob shaved down to be the same diameter as the piston will in fact fit in a VFM:

VFMConverter2.JPG

The ink capacity is a bit low of course. Also I'm pretty sure either the Templar Ink Mini Converter or Skinny Mini Converter should fit (although their capacity is so low I wouldn't bother):

http://templarink.com/images/MiniConverter2_sm.jpg

http://templarink.com/images/SkinnyMiniConverter2_sm.jpg

On a related note, my VFM has a great nib and I find the weight and balance to be very comfortable; it's one of my favourite pens despite the converter issues and the narrow grip and step (which don't bother me for short periods at least).

Edited by SoulSamurai

• 2 weeks later...

I usually refill cartridges. I have this pen and it is reliable writer with nice balance, after six years of daily use and abuse I really recommend this pen it gives good performance for the reasonable price.

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a spacer in the back of the barell that most surely is there to keep the cartridge snug. You can push the spacer further back with a phillips screwdriver to create more room. A kaweco mini converter can fit. Oddly some fit on the post poorly, some ok. Best,. Ron